Electric Shavers vs Razors

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Have thought about getting an electric shaver awhile now, my grandfather used to swear buy an old Norelco.

Pros and cons, what do you like ?

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Hmm, I like the looks of that Braun.

Have to look around a bit but top of the list atm.

Thanks.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

RandomWords

Jun 11, 2014
Overall I like the electric ones - doesn't irritate my skin as much, faster, easier, don't have to use gel/water, can use it in the car... it doesn't get as close but it gets close enough and you have to go over an area more than once at times (still faster in my opinion). The blades cost around 30$ but they also last for 6 months. The initial cost is more... can't think of much else about it.

iluvdeal

Golden Member
Nov 22, 1999
I used to have one of those 3 ringed Norelcos but the blade got worn out and I never bothered to replace it, went back to using a razor. Then I got a Panasonic foil shaver and haven't looked back. I like it much better than my old Norelco but YMMV as everyone's facial hair growth is different. I keep a blade around though as if I ever want a clean line to shave my sideburns, nothing does it better than a blade.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Thanks for the replies, I'd actually started to look at the Panasonic foils a bit more myself.

There would always be a blade around somewhere I imagine as the wife uses em :)

Last edited:

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
I use a Wahl razor edger. It's meant for haircuts and whatnot, but it gives basically what is a "0". Not really like a shave with an actual razor blade, but it's much faster and easier. Plus, I hate being baby butt smooth anyway.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I don't "shave" anymore after being out of the military, so I only use a beard trimmer to go with that designer stubble.

If I were to want to go smooth though, I'd go for a safety razor. I hate the multiblades, mostly due to the extra blades not particularly offering any real benefit. Once the first blade dulls, it will only tug the hair and the next blades will cut it too short and irritate my face.

NAC

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2000
I have pretty thick facial hair.

I used to always use electric razors - Norelco, Braun, Panasonic.

Now I only use regular razors - Schick Hydro. I find Schick lasts a LOT longer than Gillette, and I don't get irritated like I recall when using electric. I also find that a regular razor is quicker than electric.

I think you just have to try something, and if you aren't happy then try something else, and you have have to repeat that a few times. Kinda expensive, but once you find something you like you can stick with it for years. When you test something out - definitely try it for at least a month straight. I believe it takes a while for you, and your face, to get used to different razors.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Braun has always been good to my skin. It doesnt take very long for your hairs to "adjust" like other electric razors.

Having said that, I like going with the effective solution:

import-Merkur-REAL.jpg

Its reliable and dirt cheap.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I use a Wahl razor edger. It's meant for haircuts and whatnot, but it gives basically what is a "0". Not really like a shave with an actual razor blade, but it's much faster and easier. Plus, I hate being baby butt smooth anyway.
Looks pretty interesting actually still hadn't bought one myself yet.

Sounds like how I am, I just want something whacks it off fast and not smooth to the touch.

91sFLh1In-L._SL1500_.jpg

This one I take it had been looking a panasonic, might change my mind.

513csdlGk8L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Still hadn't bought one but think I'm getting one of those WAHL's as a hedge trimmer that's not baby smooth that does the job sounds good to me.

I can always use one of the wives razors if want to get real close.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
IMHO unless you have to shave dry an electric makes no sense unless you are keeping a beard going.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Have thought about getting an electric shaver awhile now, my grandfather used to swear buy an old Norelco.

Pros and cons, what do you like ?

The pros of an electric shaver pretty much amount to a quick and dirty shave, when you're in a hurry. No blood, no cuts, no need for water or shaving cream.

Plenty of cons though.

No matter how expensive your shaver is, it never shaves well enough. Electric shavers leave patches of unshaven stubble, especially on the neck. I start shaving over these spots again, several times, to get those pesky hairs and that results in horrible irritation and nasty zits.

I get best results when the stubble is very short - no more than 1-2 days old. In these cases, the electric does a pretty good job!

Some people claim that the major drawback of electrics is that you have to replace heads.
First of all you can get a slightly more expensive shaver and those claim to automatically resharpen blades as you use them. Whether that's true or not, I don't know, but I never noticed my Norelco getting dull. And I use it over 10 years now!

Either way... A new head will cost you like what? $30-50? Compare that to hundreds of dollars you would otherwise spend on razor cartridges for a conventional razor over 10 years....

This brings me to conventional razors...

You can expect to spend $30-45 on cartridges per year if you shop online which is actually not that bad even for someone with a pathetic paycheck like mine.

Conventional razors give a much closer, cleaner shave every time. My face feels more refreshed, and my mood overall improves, at least for a short time. There's just something about it...

Cons I already mentioned but... Standard stuff. Cuts, nicks, irritation, zits, etc, etc. But at least no left over hairs mixed in between!

So to summarize, I think it's nice to have both.

Electric for small touch-ups or when in a hurry. Conventional for everyday use.

Its very important to shave PROPERLY. Take a small towel and soak it in hot water. Put on your face, and leave it there for 2 min. Rinse, and repeat the process 1-2 times. Only after that, apply cream and start shaving. Very useful to watch some you-tube videos. There are many ways to minimize cuts and irritation.

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
Braun has always been good to my skin. It doesnt take very long for your hairs to "adjust" like other electric razors.

Having said that, I like going with the effective solution:

import-Merkur-REAL.jpg

Its reliable and dirt cheap.

Have the Merker 23 my self to trim up after the straight razor. I still use the a badger brush with Taylor of Old Bond Street soaps. Can't beat a good wet shave.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
I use a double edged safety razor too. Electric razors just don't work for me, the closest shave I can get with an electric is pretty much a one day stubble from any manual razor. And the cartridge ones didn't work that well for me, chafing and bleeding and shit. It's probably not going to be right for most people, but I've found the most important thing is to try a variety and find something you're happy with, since there will always be people that tell you what's right for them without taking into account what might be right for you.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
It's new of course, but got the Wahl Razor/Edger above on Saturday and had let the beard build up a bit and whacked it off to a pretty close shave here quickly.

Can always use a safety again if needs to be closer, the wife will always have some around, think the new hedge trimmer will be more than enough for a fast daily thing :)

Last edited:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Seriously, any of the 3-5 blades if powered (I like the fusion series) gives me a close shave I can do in the shower without a mirror. I can be sloppy and not get nicked (unless I move side to side with that blade but who does that). I can go with the grain, against the grain, across the grain and have a smooth ass shave whether I have had a beard going or not.

Electrics leave my face with a taste (metallic?). I used to use them prior to multiple powered blades as I'd get irritations especially if I was exercising prior. I used a special powder they had out and that was good a little.

Once the Mach 3 powered came out I just have been shaving in my shower in the mornings. I use the Edge Oatmeal gel.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i have used a 3 blade norelco electric rotary shaver since i started shaving

use it right after a shower for a close-enough shave

i wouldnt want the hassle of using one of those manual razors

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Have the Merker 23 my self to trim up after the straight razor. I still use the a badger brush with Taylor of Old Bond Street soaps. Can't beat a good wet shave.

Yep +1 I just started wet shaving, using a EJ safety razor, same soap and brush. Still experimenting on what blades I like best, but so far I like Wilkinson and Derby a lot, but I still want to try the all mighty Feather. Not sure if I'd like it, but I do have pretty thick facial hair.

Merkur blades which tend to be the least sharp, were just not getting it done for me.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I fought ingrown hairs on my neck at a monumental level for years and years when shaving with a blade. Switched to an electric and no ingrown hairs - ever. Never went back. I use a Braun.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I would get ingrown hairs, but only when I wasn't using a fresh 2+ blade razor. The first blade would tug, and the next would cut it shorter than I could handle. Once I made the switch to the safety razor, that problem was resolved. It helped being able to buy a pack of 100 blades for like $10.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
I would get ingrown hairs, but only when I wasn't using a fresh 2+ blade razor. The first blade would tug, and the next would cut it shorter than I could handle. Once I made the switch to the safety razor, that problem was resolved. It helped being able to buy a pack of 100 blades for like $10.

I always have gotten epic razor burn, especially on my neck while using the cheap disposable razors. Still got it, but not quite as bad with the more expensive ones like Gillete etc.

Now with DE safety razor shaving, that's almost totally gone. Plus, I can usually comfortably shave against the grain if I want to be extra-smooth for the lady.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
I use a braun, not the rotary one.
It isn't as close as a blade, but you cannot get cut, it's fast, and if you do it everyday it's close enough.