Electric rates - "price to compare" question

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
That reminds me, I need to check my spam folder. Who needs Tinder when you have hot red head Russian brides waiting for you?
Lol, legit brides are ready for order by mail. https://www.rosebrides.com/brides/age-20-25.html

Oh yeah...of course you need a Russian...their dream house with you is a some house in the tundra nowhere-stan, Canada.

Forget Little House on the Prairie, it's Little House on the Tundra.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Red Squirrel

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
Duke Energy in north central FL -

Customer Charge - $12.45 (This is the only "fixed" charge)
Energy Charge - First 1000 kWh - $.08379 per kWh
Over 1000 kWh - $.09266 per kWh
Fuel Charge - First 1000 kHw - $.04469 per kWh
Over 1000 kHw - $.05539 per kWh
Asset Securitization - $.00234 per kHw
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So - $.13082 for the first 1000 kWh
$.15039 for any thing over 1000 kWh

Plus assorted taxes, of course :rolleyes:
And here there is no choice of suppliers, one or none.

Same north central FL rate except with solar here. My recent June bill:

1105 kWh usage
365 kWh Solar delivered to grid

First 1000 kWh - 12.8 cents Energy+Fuel charge
Over 1000 kWh - 14.8 cents Energy+Fuel charge

Total Current Charges $159.08, average billing due $95

Before solar I've had summer bills up to $450 with average billing coming out to about $300/mo. With solar now instead of the whole $300 monthly going to the power company, it's $95 to power company and $180 to the bank servicing the solar loan. The difference in saving is negligible until loan is paid off

Our house is all electric so cooking, dryer, second fridge, pool pump, 24/7 servers and god knows how many computers and IoT devices takes its toll. But it's still kind of cool to see on really hot sunny days with the A/C running at max and the meter still goes backwards sending a trickle of solar energy back to the grid.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
It's crazy how behind some places are when it comes to power generation. Some places even still use coal. Coal is literally Titanic age technology, even older.

Unfortunately it does seem the most dirty ways to generate power also end up being the cheapest, which makes no sense, you'd think renewables would be cheaper. Once it's built you don't need to input anything into it other than regular maintenance but that goes for anything.
Coal is very energy dense, extremely easy to transport, and very cheap to source. A coal fired power plant only costs some tens to hundreds of millions of dollars to build and can output hundreds of megawatts of power. In some places, its really one of the only options for power without building infrastructure around natural gas pipelines, etc.

Renewables in very few aspects are cheaper. When you're talking solar there are some areas which you simply don't have the right environment, both in terms of land as well as sun exposure. Dams are extremely expensive, and wind turbines have limited capabilities as well.

Much of Europe does not have gas, which is really the next best thing up from coal, and until other options are built out (LNG import / export, etc) they are essentially stuck.