Electric or Gas powered Reel mower?

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
When we moved to another state, we left our wonderful craftsman lawnmower behind - didn't think it was worth hauling, plus it was out of warranty and getting into pretty bad shape.

So a few months ago I bought a new lawnmower from Sears. Apparently they're switched from the honda engine to a briggs & stratton. I got one of the higher-end models - multispeed front wheel drive, wide cutting path, high horsepower.

I hate it.

When the front wheel drive isn't engaged its gives back a lot of resistance. Its heavy. If I'm not careful the front wheels will gauge out the lawn. The handle bar is extremely uncomfortable. Plus on top of all that, Sears no longer has their full coverage warranty on lawnmowers, and with all the rocks and treestumps and weird angles/slopes of my yard, I'm sure I'm going to have to repair this regularly.

So while this thing is still brand new, I'm thinking of selling it off and getting something else. What I would really like is a powered REEL mower. Especially since my front lawn is newly planted with zoysia grass, and I've read that zoysia does better with the angle of cut from a reel blade.

Any suggestions?

Sentinel

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2000
That would be slick with a reel mower, you could stripe it nicely. Jacobsen Greens King VI triplex? What is your budget?

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
I paid roughtly $250 for this new one, so I wouldn't have a problem paying about the same for a powered reel mower.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: BoberFett
They make powered reel mowers? I did not know that.

They must... not only was there one in Lawnmower Man, but I could have swarn I've seen them sold somewhere. :p

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
I've seen lawn tractors at our local golf course that were mounted with hydraulically powered reel mowers. Man, now that's living!! ;)

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: marvdmartian
I've seen lawn tractors at our local golf course that were mounted with hydraulically powered reel mowers. Man, now that's living!! ;)

But I only need something small. :(

I'm searching and I'm thinking if I really want a reel mower, its giong to have to be manual push.

Christobevii3

Aug 29, 2004
Get a toro commercial. They are like $1000 but the deck is like a solid chunk of metal not a sheet. My dads is almost 10 years old now and still runs great. Only have had to change the drive belt (rear) and blade like twice. It has a kawasaki motor too with a small oil filter

Sentinel

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2000
Don't go with electric, get a commercial reel mower- Toro/Jacobsen/John Deere all good.