Electoral college thought

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
What if, instead of using census data, we used votes during the previous presidential election to award number of electors? This would drastically change the number of disenfranchisement policies that the Repubs try to push. They should also do away with the 2 free electors for the senate, and make it straight population based.

Reactions: BlueWeasel

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
Why not just abolish it altogether and elect the president the same way we elect literally every other officeholder in the entire country?

Most graceful model at this point is joining the state coalition that award their electoral votes to the popular vote winner.

).

The problem with this, is that it still would encourage voter suppression efforts. We'd then see national pushes to suppress the vote rather than state. the GOP is set to own redistricting yet again and we will see Republicans representing significantly more than their vote share would indicate. I was trying to think how we could use the electoral college to enhance the democratic process.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The problem with this, is that it still would encourage voter suppression efforts. We'd then see national pushes to suppress the vote rather than state. the GOP is set to own redistricting yet again and we will see Republicans representing significantly more than their vote share would indicate. I was trying to think how we could use the electoral college to enhance the democratic process.
Wouldn't rewarding electors based on previous vote totals reward voter suppression?

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Do away with it entirely. The rural areas already have a disproportionate voice in their favor in the Senate.

A senator from CA represents 20,000,000 people.
A senator from WY represents 300,000 people.

Reactions: Brainonska511

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
Wouldn't rewarding electors based on previous vote totals reward voter suppression?

I think I worded it poorly. The state would award the entire lto of electors as they do now. The number of electoral votes they get though, would be based on voter turnout.

This would mean states would be incentivized to make sure that every eligible voter votes. Lindsey Graham has basically said that iv everyone votes, Republicans will never win again.

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
Do away with it entirely. The rural areas already have a disproportionate voice in their favor in the Senate.

A senator from CA represents 20,000,000 people.
A senator from WY represents 300,000 people.

I was proposing that they don't get the senator votes, just the voting population component.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I think I worded it poorly. The state would award the entire lto of electors as they do now. The number of electoral votes they get though, would be based on voter turnout.

This would mean states would be incentivized to make sure that every eligible voter votes. Lindsey Graham has basically said that iv everyone votes, Republicans will never win again.
Ah I understand now. thanks!

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Lindsey Graham has basically said that iv everyone votes, Republicans will never win again.
Then you fucking Trumphumper (@LindseyGraham) them perhaps the problem isn't the voter but you, you fucking scumbag.

Nov 29, 2006
Just abolish it for straight popular vote. Just keep 1 running tally on election day and you don't even need to show what votes came from what state etc. No more battle ground state nonsense.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Popular vote is the way to go for the presidency.

For the senate, maybe break the US up into 10 geographic senatorial districts of roughly equal population with 10 senators each (similar to the federal appeal court circuits). 4 year terms and you can only serve for 3 terms and then you're out. If football can have a bunch of conferences across states, we can certainly do the same with senators.

Keep it pretty simple and fair so everyone has equal representation and we consistently get new blood in there.