Election Funds J. McCain

Veramocor

Mar 2, 2004
As of September 1st McCain cannot collect anymore election funds since he chose public financing. He may collect compliance funds which are used solely for complying with election laws/accounting and such.

Compliance Fund FAQ

Interesting the election commission ruled you can pay up to 5% of your election TV ads with the compliance fund. The ruling was made for John Kerry who argued that the little snippet in each ad "This message is approved by 'candidate's name'" comprised compliance activities.

I don't want to be too cynical but I find it coincidental that McCain put up a collection for the Hurricane only after he could not collect/spend any more primary funds.

McCain seems beneficent compared to Obama who is still collecting directly for his campaign (although Obama has a link on his web page), compared to McCain who has direct links from google to the hurricane relief effort.

I wonder what each of them donated for Katrina before the spot light shined so brightly upon them.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Thank god the GOP's weather machine was able to create Gustav just in the nick of time.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: loki8481
you're being too cynical... and this coming from a cynical maggot.

Man, you are not a cynical maggot... There are far worse cases here. FAR WORSE.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Actually McCain can still collect funds. He just can't send them on his own campaign. But he can send them to the RNC or other candidates. They plan to send Palin around collecting money for the next month or so.

Feb 24, 2001
Two forums got into a pissing match over fund raising after Palin was put in the VP slot. Democratic Underground tried to raise $50,000 across their forums. No idea where theirs ended up. But their rival raised $70,000+ in one thread.

Yowsers.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
It doesn't matter what McCain's supporters raise before August 31st. McCain has to piss nearly all that money away before September. Meanwhile his huge ad buys this month to liquidate his war chest are being largely ignored because of Gustav and Palingate.

McCain has a set dollar amount for the home stretch of the campaign. Obama doesn't. Obama will have almost double the campaign budget if his current fund-raising totals hold, and most estimates show that his fund-raising has actually increased.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
JP I am not sure you understand how all this fund raising works.

Obama's decision to self fund may end up back firing on him, besides the negative press he received for the decision.

Here is why:
McCain just got a check for I believe $84 million, or about $40 million a month for the next two months.
Now he can't raise any more funds to use on HIS campaign, but he can still raise funds for the RNC and other candidates. There are restrictions on how that money can be spent, but it can still be used to help McCain in round about ways.

So we essentially take the $20 million a month he is raising now and add it to the $40 million he just got thanks to the tax payers and he has done the equivalent of raising $60 million a month. And this doesn't count all the money the RNC was already raising for itself.

Obama on the other hand has to keep raising funds, about $50 million a month, and thus must spend time going to fund raisers and such to keep the money flowing. In addition he is sucking up money that could instead be going to the DNC and local candidates.

The net effect of all of this is that McCain and his allies will have at least as much money to spend at Obama and his. And this does not even include the huge jump in fund raising that the selection of Palin has created.