Question Elder Scrolls Online - Worth playing now?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Achilles97

May 10, 2000
Is this thread too old to reply to? I hope not. If so, sorry!

I picked the game up for $9 on sale over the weekend. I also picked up the DLC that enables the Necromancer for $8. I can see how paying for VIP would help if you've already got a character to end-game and you want the advantage of the crafting bag which depositing in to is reserved for active VIPs only. Inventory space is a premium in this game.

I'm kinda sad I can't buy a house and fill up every room to the ceiling with wheels of cheese. :p

I've been a fan of the Elder Scrolls games since Morrowind and put far too many hours into Skyrim. I did play ESO during beta and wasn't happy with it but the changes they've made are pretty great. I played most of the weekend and loved it. I can't wait to get home, lock the family in some dark closet far enough away in the house that I can't hear them crying for help, and continue playing in peace.

I have a solo sorcerererer nearly lvl 20, almost finished with Vvardenfell. I have a sub-10 necromancer to fool around on, too. I'm really digging it so far.

Awesome. Thanks for the post. I've been thinking of finally trying ESO now that I have more time at my home PC. I've been playing Path of Exile and so far I like it but I don't know how much I will deliver into the end game so I might switch over to ESO soon

Reactions: Printed Circuit Bro

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The game sucks donkey ass and its all the worse because it craps all over a good franchise.
they used an established successful setting to sell their crappy MMO and I hate them for it.

Achilles97

May 10, 2000
The game sucks donkey ass and its all the worse because it craps all over a good franchise.
they used an established successful setting to sell their crappy MMO and I hate them for it.
I played it for a few hours and imo it has potential but the combat felt clunky to me. Perhaps I just need more time to get used to it. I do not have much experience with the interactive, action type of combat in a 3rd-person game. My experience has been limited to tab targeting and skill dump games.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I played it for a few hours and imo it has potential but the combat felt clunky to me. Perhaps I just need more time to get used to it. I do not have much experience with the interactive, action type of combat in a 3rd-person game. My experience has been limited to tab targeting and skill dump games.

I think combat isn't that fancy. There is a lot to learn for raiding though, a site for info is alcasthq.com.

Printed Circuit Bro

Jan 21, 2020
I wonder if locked tab targeting is a thing. Hmm.

loki1944

Apr 23, 2020
I gave up on it because it kept redownloading itself and eating my data cap, but the little I played was fun.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Well, on May 2018, I got the e-mail that the project I'd backed, Pillars of Eternity II, was done and I could get a key. I had to decide between GOG and Steam.

Today, I decided and downloaded the game. We'll see. (Which? Everything said GOG, except primarily that Steam has more and better DLC sales, and that decided this one for Steam).

loki1944

Apr 23, 2020
That would be strange. The planned re-download wasn't just an update, either, it was the full game with changes, but it was only planned one time.

I'm not talking recently; once I saw it was happening in a serial manner, that's when I stopped attempting to play anymore; this was in 2014/15 the first time and then about a 8 months ago I downloaded the entire game again in the hope of it being fixed and the same thing happened. Here's what I'm talking about: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.c...her-repair-tool-keeps-downloading-entire-game , http://www.gamesas.com/eso-download-starts-all-over-again-t357326.html , https://forums.elderscrollsonline.c...ownload-entire-game-after-verifying-all-files , https://forums.elderscrollsonline.c...d-to-redownload-entire-eso-on-steam-everytime .

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I've been playing this casually but on a regular basis for around 13 months now and I love it. One of the best MMO's going at the moment. Plenty to do, plenty to explore. Just loads of content.

I'm @AmishOne if anyone is interested and actually plays.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
I've purchased the game last year when it was on sale for $8, played it for a week and uninstalled it. It would have been fun if it was released with all today's content 10 years ago.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I've purchased the game last year when it was on sale for $8, played it for a week and uninstalled it. It would have been fun if it was released with all today's content 10 years ago.

I can't tell what your objection is.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I was looking into this as a good co-op game option, but for my situation, I noticed one potential problem... the game is available on multiple platforms (PC and consoles), but unlike Final Fantasy XIV, it doesn't support cross-play. In other words, I'd have to convince a primarily console player to use a PC instead. I can assure you that it's a tough sell if the game doesn't support a controller on PC.

Achilles97

May 10, 2000
I played a bit over the past few days and I am starting to like it more. I think I am feeling more comfortable with the interface after gaining some experience with it and installing a few add-ons.

So far I am level 9 and I haven't done much combat. Perhaps it is just my play style. I feel like I have mostly just run from point to point to deliver messages, etc. I suspect the game with eventually lead me into more combative content.

BTW I am already looking forward to getting a mount.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I played a bit over the past few days and I am starting to like it more. I think I am feeling more comfortable with the interface after gaining some experience with it and installing a few add-ons.

So far I am level 9 and I haven't done much combat. Perhaps it is just my play style. I feel like I have mostly just run from point to point to deliver messages, etc. I suspect the game with eventually lead me into more combative content.

BTW I am already looking forward to getting a mount.

Glad to hear it. In just one level you can and should start doing a daily random dungeon with a big xp boost (you might get 2 levels early on just from that). Lots of combat. When you get a mount (free one soon from levelling IIRC), you'll want to train it every day at the stable. Takes 90 days to fully train.

Achilles97

May 10, 2000
Glad to hear it. In just one level you can and should start doing a daily random dungeon with a big xp boost (you might get 2 levels early on just from that). Lots of combat. When you get a mount (free one soon from levelling IIRC), you'll want to train it every day at the stable. Takes 90 days to fully train.

Thanks. Yeah I am enjoying it more and more. At first I was feeling a bit awkward paying too much attention to the UI rather than gameplay. The UI is now feeling more natural which is allowing me to immerse into the gameplay and actually notice how great the environments look. I still have a few UI things I need to tweak or learn but I am getting there.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Thanks. Yeah I am enjoying it more and more. At first I was feeling a bit awkward paying too much attention to the UI rather than gameplay. The UI is now feeling more natural which is allowing me to immerse into the gameplay and actually notice how great the environments look. I still have a few UI things I need to tweak or learn but I am getting there.

I think that makes sense, the game takes some getting used to in a number of ways. Some things you perhaps never get used to.:) I still find, for example, the potion UI terrible.