Question Elder Scrolls Online - Worth playing now?

Achilles97

May 10, 2000
I've never played ESO but I've always been interested in the Elder Scrolls world since Daggerfall in the late 90s. The only MMO I've played is WoW. I'm not particularly interested in playing in a guild with coordinated events - I just want to play at my own pace but have access to MMO aspects such as trading, occasional quest groups, etc. Would ESO fit that description?

Thanks a bunch!

akenbennu

Jul 24, 2005
You can solo most of the overland/quest content in ESO, you really only need groups for the dungeons and raids (and Craglorn, which is a late game quest zone.)

You can be in up to 5 guilds, but there's not an AH like WOW, instead the guilds bid on traders that everyone can access, so there's a bit of a difference there. The questing is pretty well written, especially in the two existing expansions.

Don't rush to end game, the leveling experience is worth it.

ArenCordial

Sep 18, 2012
Yeah it would. I play ESO from time to time as my solo MMO when I just want to relax in a big open world after letting some content stack up.

ESO has a ton of solo content and like akenbennu, I also find the quests to be rather well written. There is a group finder so its pretty easy to find a group if you want to do a dungeon. The grinds never feel too bad unless you are shoot for top tier stuff which I don't get the feel you would into that.

You do have to be in a trading guild to trade as there is no auction house. Honestly the biggest negative these days on ESO is I never found the combat to be too fun and classes do tend to have a lot of sameness because they draw on a lot of the same weapon/guild/alliance skills for specific roles if you try and play the meta.

Aside from that though the game can be a lot fun in spurts.

Achilles97

May 10, 2000
Thanks for the replies. I picked up the base game + Morrowind and played through the opening sequence to escape the place you are being held. I rolled a Nightblade thinking that I would play a thief type of character and play through the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood series.

My impressions so far is that the game can be pretty good but I am going to need more time to get used to the UI and combat. The inventory, character, level-up, etc interfaces seem a bit busy but I am sure this will become familiar with more play time. The combat is a bit different than I am used to - it seems more input-based than other ES games, Diablo, WoW, etc. Instead of triggering skills by just pressing buttons, ESO has active movements such as dodging, blocking, interrupts, etc that seem to require specific input or movement from the character. Again, I'm sure I can get used to this over time but I just need to decide if I am going to like it or not.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

akenbennu

Jul 24, 2005
If you started on a ship and are doing Vvardenfell, I suggest you port to your faction starting zone and do the main questline, the story makes a lot more sense if you get the prophet's storyline.

Achilles97

May 10, 2000
Yeah I started in some cavern place and found the prophet. I gathered that I was in Oblivion and just ported out to Tamriel.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
Never played it before either do you need to get ESO + Morrowind + Tamriel + Summerset then pre-order Elsweyr to have everything to play now?

Thanks

ArenCordial

Sep 18, 2012
ESO has a ton of content. You can get everything in a package deal with the Elsweyr Collector's Edition but honestly not having played it before I'd probably try just the base game, it goes on sale pretty often for around $10. If you like it then you can upgrade then. They also do free weekends so often.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Want to get back into this game but it's taking so long to download. Probably something in my settings, I'll figure it out sooner or later.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I finished the game back in the day before it went free to play, and it seemed like obligatory to do cadwells gold and that just got tedious so I bowed out of the game by then... Is the new content playable without going through cadwells gold?
Still have a decent stealth cat assassin.

ArenCordial

Sep 18, 2012
I finished the game back in the day before it went free to play, and it seemed like obligatory to do cadwells gold and that just got tedious so I bowed out of the game by then... Is the new content playable without going through cadwells gold?
Still have a decent stealth cat assassin.

I never even got through Cadwell's Silver. The new content is playable Elsweyr requires purchase of the new expansion. I think everything else even the old expansions are playable with ESO plus now. If its been a while I'd go to Morrowind->Clockwork City->Summerset if you want the story progression.

Reactions: cytg111

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I liked it when I played in some years back. It's one of the few MMO's where you can solo basically everything. It even has reasonably well written quests. The game is underrated imo.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I take back what I said above. Graphics look pretty good. It's been a long time since I played and after jumping in this past weekend I was pleased to find the visuals looking pretty nice.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
I wish i could play this game I really liked Elder Scrolls series but i am not willing to pay monthly fee to play it. :mad:

Achilles97

May 10, 2000
I wish i could play this game I really liked Elder Scrolls series but i am not willing to pay monthly fee to play it. :mad:

ESO has no subscription cost. Just buy the game and play. There are premium services like expanded stash space, etc, for a monthly cost but it is not required.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Never played it before either do you need to get ESO + Morrowind + Tamriel + Summerset then pre-order Elsweyr to have everything to play now?

The game has 'main chapters' - base game, Morrowind, Summerset, and the just releasing Elseweyr. Tamriel is just the name of the land, not anything to buy.

You get all those in the $60 game package - or you get base+Morrowind (and soon I expect +Summerset) in the $20 base game package that goes on sale for $10.

There are also 'DLC' smaller pieces - like thieves' guild, an assassins' guild, other zones with stories, and sets with two dungeons each. You get all THAT included while you have ESO+, the $15/month subscription with other benefits or you can buy them for the cash currency, which you are also given for each month of ESO+ you buy.

You can just buy the $10 version on sale and have a ton of content to enjoy, and see how you like the game.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

As I said above, buy the base game $10 on sale, and it's a huge bargain and game to play and enjoy, to see how you like it. You could just do that and have a great game. You won't miss the rest much for some time, and the the biggest item is inventory space if you craft.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I liked it when I played in some years back. It's one of the few MMO's where you can solo basically everything. It even has reasonably well written quests. The game is underrated imo.

The game seems pretty much universally praised since Morrowind. I recommend is as a nicely done - not perfect, but what game is - MMORPG. Most of the game can be enjoyed solo as 'easy' content and you miss 'high end' content less than other MMORPG's.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'd say 'very much yes', worth getting at leas the base game (see above posts).

Some pluses and minuses:

+ Well done, large game world - huge amount of content and quests. One of the game tooltips is, 'sometimes just pick a direction and run, there are quests everywhere'. And there are, and they're not 'fetch 10 of that' type quests, though they are usually 'do stuff that will kill monsters a while with a story'.
+ Pleasant atmosphere - graphics, art, relaxing orchestral music
+ Very explorable - little things to find, including crafting materials every few steps, chests, more unusual types of chests you can't open at first, museum pieces to collect...
+ Every NPC text in the game, every quest, is voice acted (and well). It's huge.
+ It's easy to enjoy. You can do all the usual stuff to make your character stronger, but if you don't you can still do most of the game.
+ Skill system that's unique and interesting on the surface - skill lines for class, race, weapon, armor, guilds, and other things.
+ Player culture is mostly good.

+/- leveling is easy. Key points are level 50 cap, then CP160 in 'champion point' secondary leveling system. The way the game works, any drops you get match your level, and become obsolete as you level - until CP160, which is the cap and you get permanent items. Your fist character levels CP 0 to 160, but all other chars get the same CP points, so all later chars start at your top CP level at 50.

- The game is damn evil. The best with rare exception are rather self-interested leaders to help, otherwise, you are rewarded for stealing and assassinating innocents but not reward for not doing so, pet classes can only summon demons, characters can become werewolves and vampires, the new class is 'necromancer', etc. Some quests make you pick a 'good' character to be killed off (as Mass Effect did).
- Fairly limited in class selection - a handful.
- You might not like that most of the game is easy, making it more about 'enjoy the hundreds of quest stories as you play them' more than close battles.
- The inventory is designed to flood you with hundreds of small items you want, to pressure you buy the subscription. You need to give up some things, especially crafting or spend time and alts to try to not have it. Luckily, it's easy to not craft if you want and buy things from others if you even want any such items.
- The in-game selling system is laughably badly designed. It's done by dozens of 'guild sellers' located all over the game world, a handful in the largest cities, with no way in-game to search across them.

I could add more, but overall, it's a great, relaxing game. Recommended for what it is, quest/story mmo, easy to play. Not for 'action', challenging combat enthusiasts - though you can have some of that with 12 man end game 'raids', the more challenging DLC dungeons, etc.

Two beginner tips: visit stables daily to add a 'skill point' to your mounts, and always be researching 'traits' in crafting if you want to craft, ever. These are sorts of 'gates' - it takes 2 months each to level mount speed and mount storage space, and the better part of a year to research all the crafting 'traits'. They aren't critical to have, though.

One other note - the game 'boosts' your character as if it were high level as you level, so you can jump in with everyone to doing things like joining groups killing 'world bosses', and doing dungeons as of level 10. You can go all around the game world at any level and kill normal enemies. Levels just give you abilities to use, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteNoise

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I saw that greenmangaming has this on sale for 21% off for VIP customers.

Last edited:

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I'm in my 3rd month now. Even though the base game is free I purchased VIP right off the bat. It's worth it for the perks alone. Plus you just about get your money back in crowns each month anyway.

This game is a lot of fun. pretty much all of the game is doable while soloing except Trials and maybe world bosses. Some people can solo trials too. I solo public dungeons and delves easily but Trials can be overwhelming so I run those with my friends. Even with three of us it can be challenging.

Soooo Muuuuch content.

I made the mistake of leveling up 4 chars to 20 the first 1.5 months in before I realized I liked playing the Warden the best. Now I am at L50 CP148 and will hit CP150+ tonight. It' a great game and a lot of fun with friends too.

You can level to 50 pretty quick and some people can do it in 5-10 hours but there is so much to see and enjoy that i prefer taking my time . I haven't been playing any other games at all since getting back into this game.

Printed Circuit Bro

Jan 21, 2020
Is this thread too old to reply to? I hope not. If so, sorry!

I picked the game up for $9 on sale over the weekend. I also picked up the DLC that enables the Necromancer for $8. I can see how paying for VIP would help if you've already got a character to end-game and you want the advantage of the crafting bag which depositing in to is reserved for active VIPs only. Inventory space is a premium in this game.

I'm kinda sad I can't buy a house and fill up every room to the ceiling with wheels of cheese. :p

I've been a fan of the Elder Scrolls games since Morrowind and put far too many hours into Skyrim. I did play ESO during beta and wasn't happy with it but the changes they've made are pretty great. I played most of the weekend and loved it. I can't wait to get home, lock the family in some dark closet far enough away in the house that I can't hear them crying for help, and continue playing in peace.

I have a solo sorcerererer nearly lvl 20, almost finished with Vvardenfell. I have a sub-10 necromancer to fool around on, too. I'm really digging it so far.

Reactions: Craig234