Elder Scrolls MMO might be on the way, this May.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Once you get them up and running, MMO's are basically free money. Thats what EVERY business wants.

Downside is theres a huge initial investment and if the MMO tanks, whole companies can be destroyed. I do NOT want that to happen to Bethesda.

On top of that, the development time for the MMO is time that could easily be put towards the next (real) game. So not only are we getting a product that has no tangable value to the Hard core RPG fans out of the current project, but we are also seeing a significant delay on the "Next" project.

Besides, aren't there enough MMO's out there today? Do we need another?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
On top of that, the development time for the MMO is time that could easily be put towards the next (real) game. So not only are we getting a product that has no tangable value to the Hard core RPG fans out of the current project, but we are also seeing a significant delay on the "Next" project.

Besides, aren't there enough MMO's out there today? Do we need another?

The fact that customers pump billions of dollars into them tells me: Yes.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
I don't see how an Elder Scrolls MMO could even work given the current mechanics that have been around since Daggerfall.

Like being able to hide on top of a rock, and literally kill everything in sight while the enemies endlessly circle the rock. Or getting into a spot between two rocks that will keep a dragon landing far away so you can down it easily with arrows without getting hit.

One of the things that makes ES games is the 'go anywhere' mechanic; being able to explore at will is much better than invisible walls or blocked off areas, and literally impossible in a MMO (too many glitch possibilities).

GlacierFreeze

Golden Member
May 23, 2005
I don't think the technology exists to do a proper Elder Scolls MMO (first-person view, real time combat, etc.) and if it did I wouldn't trust a first time MMO dev (even Bethesda) to pull it off right.

Darkfall Online.

I didn't play it past Beta (a few years ago), but it seemed to work pretty well for a first time (as far as I know), real time combat MMORPG with huge raids/battles... Even had collision detection between the characters (ie: line side by side to block entrances).

Last edited:

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I really enjoy Skyrim but a MMO version? I dont know. Considering how so many MMOs fail at start up or within the first two years... I'm thinking a MMO would actually hurt the series more than help it. I'm not a huge MP type of person but my thinking a MP version would probably be a better fit but of course if it were up to me I'd keep the series as is. A single player experience. That is one of it's uniqueness of the game and series. Making it a MMO makes me cringe.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
eh i'm not as pumped for an MMO because it all amounts to the same thing.

unlike all the WOW haters, i liked wow, it was fun...but at some point it just becomes 'the same thing'

To be fair - all games amount to that; I liked to play SC2 a lot and that is the same.

What makes it different is replayability. Theoretically an MMO can have infinite replay-ability; can go wherever you want, whenever you want. So as long as quests exists, you can do as many quests as your heart desires. you can party with whoever you want for how long you want. you can go to places in whatever order you want...but that doesn't mean it does.

Anyways, MMO = massive time sink where I do not feel truly fulfilled.

See SC2 I can take those mad APM skills and ability to think under pressure with me....but WOW? Maybe it is different if you are a guild leader and coordinate battles and determine the tactics, but for the avg person...meh

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I don't think I'd care for an MMO, but I could probably get into a multiplayer ES game (say, up to 4 players like Borderlands).

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I forgot about the mod issues. MMO can't really allow mods.

what is the point of an ES game without mods?

D:

silvan4now

Oct 4, 2011
don't really trust this will happen; although it would be incredible hard to believe such a MMO was so nice hidden from public all this time

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I would be happy if they just let you play fall out and elder scrolls coop.

:thumbsup:

It would be weird, though. I think you pretty much need a separate arena or special mission chains for co-op. The world doesn't much lend itself to mutually enjoyable co-op.

Plus, difficulty is way too low in the current games.

SZLiao214

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
:thumbsup:

It would be weird, though. I think you pretty much need a separate arena or special mission chains for co-op. The world doesn't much lend itself to mutually enjoyable co-op.

Plus, difficulty is way too low in the current games.

I think having it set to only 2-3 players would be fine. In skyrim for example you could just get rid of the follower.

I wouldn't mind having a 'lead' character that does the talking. I could chat with the friend i'm playing with over voice chat.

Fallout wouldn't quite work due to the vat system but i would be happy to get rid of it during coop time.

I really wish they made more open ended games like this coop. Saint's Row is coop but it is not quite the same.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
If they do it they better keep the twitch based ES combat instead of taking the easy way out and doing traditional mmo style combat. It'll be a challenge. I don't recall melee multiplayer combat ever being done well, aside from fighting games which are completely different.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
If they do it they better keep the twitch based ES combat instead of taking the easy way out and doing traditional mmo style combat. It'll be a challenge. I don't recall melee multiplayer combat ever being done well, aside from fighting games which are completely different.

Age of Conan has twitch combat. It felt so much like playing a generic console fighting game. It was really awkward. Not sure why you guys want something like this on an MMO.

Medu

Mar 9, 2010
If they keep Oblivion/Skryim style combat I will play an Elder Scrolls MMO. If it's turn based, like WoW and other MMO's I have no interest.

I need the instant gratification of button mashing and twitch based skill to enjoy any game.

WoW has turned based combat.... news to me! In fact one of the reasons I gave up on Oblivion after ~10 hours was because of it's insanely dull combat when compared to a game like WoW, which you clearly have never played. I am sure it would of improved given more time...

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
I would be happy if they just let you play fall out and elder scrolls coop.
I would like to see it where you can setup a dedicated server to keep the living world going and have it so you and your friends can connect to it. The settings would then be up to you to set on the server such as amount of time for creature respawn and make it so that once a mission or area is completed it stays that way.

I think the size of the world of Just Cause 2 would be awesome for that.

I know.. pipe dream :(

pw38

Apr 21, 2010
It is neat to just be wandering around in Skyrim and come across two mages battling it out in the distance. Seeing stuff like that makes me think some form of MP TES could work. I don't know though. I don't doubt Bethesda hasn't at least thought about it or play tested a limited version of something like that. Maybe we'll get something. I'd personally prefer Fallout if we're gonna do something persistent online but TES could work too.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I would like to see it where you can setup a dedicated server to keep the living world going and have it so you and your friends can connect to it. The settings would then be up to you to set on the server such as amount of time for creature respawn and make it so that once a mission or area is completed it stays that way.

I think the size of the world of Just Cause 2 would be awesome for that.

I know.. pipe dream :(

I like the idea of an online, persistent, MP server int he Just Cause 2 world.

--Bro, I just logged in. Where you at?
--Get up in your helicopter and look around for an island going to all hell.
--:awe:

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
If you think Skyrim game balance/bugs were bad, you should definitely try the MMO version of it!

Bethesda + MMO = divide by zero

linthat22

Dec 2, 2011
Couldn't they just use the engine for Skyrim and put Oblivion and Morrowind in the same world? Like a huge as spliced island game with lots to do?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
If they keep Oblivion/Skryim style combat I will play an Elder Scrolls MMO. If it's turn based, like WoW and other MMO's I have no interest.

I need the instant gratification of button mashing and twitch based skill to enjoy any game.

i don't know of any mmo that is turn based...wow and other certainly aren't turn based