Egypt floods Gaza tunnels to cut Palestinian lifeline

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

klinc

Jan 30, 2011
It is the price of an uneasy peace between Israel and Egypt.

not so uneasy since they flood the tunnels. The others from Syria I am sure will be flooded as well once the Syrian government is overthrown as well.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Flooded the tunnels or created a canal for the Iranian Navy to use to deliver Nukes to Hamas?

:colbert:

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
Illegal tunnels crossing an international border. Why would "destroy the tunnels" not be an appropriate solution?
This.
This isn't a matter of being anti-zionist or pro-zionist, those tunnels were illegal according to international law and common sense and posed a security risk to Egypt, a country that should be able to think about its own problems first.

PingviN

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2009
Flooded the tunnels or created a canal for the Iranian Navy to use to deliver Nukes to Hamas?

:colbert:

Gonna have to be a real tiny boat delivering dat nuke

gaza%2B-%2Btunnel.jpg

So tiny.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
not so uneasy since they flood the tunnels. The others from Syria I am sure will be flooded as well once the Syrian government is overthrown as well.

Tunnels from Gaza to Syria?

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Do you doubt there are 170+ miles long hand-dug smuggling tunnels going from Gaza to Syria? :colbert:

If so; I would have expected that there are a couple from Havana to Little Havana also :p

Last edited:

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
If there is a desperate need, there will always be a desperate way to satisfy it. If there is an ideological or monetary incentive involved, then these two powerful motivators will assure the flow of goods.

For comparison, just look at how the drug trade flourishes despite the ever escalating efforts of the law enforcement agencies to stop it, with huge profits being made, ancilliary jobs being created and the inevitable corruption that goes with it from both sides of the border.

I remember how profitable the black market was during the Vietnam War -errrr, "Conflict" and how it seemed to me that the black market economy was so much more profitable than the legal one at the time.

Karl Agathon

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2010
Aint-semites don't care about muslims kiling muslims

That about sums it up. When its Muslims killing other Muslims, practically nobody gives a shit! Boy oh boy though! Add a a Jewish person/s to the mix and then the Jew haters start frothing at the mouth and come out in full force.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
If the Palestinians invaded Egypt or crossed the border without permission, then they deserve what they get. Maybe we should fill some of the tunnels on our southern border. We probably dont want to hurt the environment or use salt water. Water is probably a precious commodity there as well.

Egypt probably has been having trouble with violence on their borders and are fighting back. This is to be expected. People that smuggle underground are like rats with guns.

Last edited:

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I saw a way to deal with groundhogs where you hooked up a hose to your car exhaust and run it underground at night. The little varmits would just go to sleep and not wake up. However, I tried this with water on ground hog tunnels and the water ran for over an hour and the tunnels never filled up.

If you added something toxic to the water that might leave a residue that would eventually kill people that went into the tunnels. Some nuclear waste might work quite well. Persistent nerve gas would be effective. Explosives would be nice as well just collapse the tunnels. Put some proximity bombs down there that blow up when they get close.

Since a tunnel is an enclosed space something as simple as a cannister of propane and a small incendiary device would do a number on anything in the tunnel.

Take some risin and make it fill the tunnel with dust when they get close.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2004
For comparison, just look at how the drug trade flourishes despite the ever escalating efforts of the law enforcement agencies to stop it, with huge profits being made, ancilliary jobs being created and the inevitable corruption that goes with it from both sides of the border.

It's a little different, though. The Israelis would probably be willing to kill weapons smugglers without compromise or any sort of legal due process. You can't say that for the United States' War on Drugs.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
This.
This isn't a matter of being anti-zionist or pro-zionist, those tunnels were illegal according to international law and common sense and posed a security risk to Egypt, a country that should be able to think about its own problems first.

But those leftists dislike the un-human right notion of people being held accountable for doing stupid, irresponsible or outright criminal stuff.

If it was up to me I would have mined them and won't shed a tear if some Palestinian preggie smuggler get herself blown up in there.

Last edited:

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
I
<snip>

Egypt probably has been having trouble with violence on their borders and are fighting back. This is to be expected. People that smuggle underground are like rats with guns.

Egyptian security forces were attacked from Gaza recently.

This was Egypt's way of showing that there are written rules and understood rules.

Breaking either will have consequences.