eGPU (external) - Do you think it will ever be an option?

FreshJR

Nov 10, 2012
If this belongs in off topic please move it there.

For me, the desktop PC is dieing. Its to big and clunky.

With the laptops and planned x86 tablets having thunderbolt (a PCI-e interface), do you think that will push for eGPU's in the future?

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
I know the Sony Z series has been using an external GPU via Thunderbolt to compliment the iGPU

Sony takes it a step further and also doubles it as a ROM drive:

z_family_galleryTab_5.jpg

Granted, the GPU isn't anything powerful (currently using a 7670M, which is essentially the same thing as a 6650M before it :rolleyes:), which is kind of a shame because its barely an upgrade over the Ivy GPU. Games are playable but you need to drastically reduce resolution and play at the lowest settings.

I understand Sony's desire to stay sleek and slim and quiet, but it would be great to get a truly mobile notebook that could dock to a GPU that could actually deliver a pleasurable gaming experience, not just a "playable" one.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
For me, the desktop PC is dieing. Its to big and clunky.

Cheaper, faster, better input (mouse, keyboard, etc), better output (monitor, speakers, etc), more flexible (can build your own), no batteries...

:rolleyes:

FreshJR

Nov 10, 2012

exactly like that, but MSI never released that product. Vaporware

Cheaper, faster, better input (mouse, keyboard, etc), better output (monitor, speakers, etc), more flexible (can build your own), no batteries...

:rolleyes:

Cheaper - Yes
Faster - Yes since thermal and power constraints are highly lifted

Input - you still have the same connections available. I still perfer a wireless gamepad on any non fps game. You can still dock it with your mouse, keyboard, and monitor. Your already docking it with the eGPU. I would perfer using my TV + wireless game pad instead.

Output - You always have HDMI allowing you to use your kitted out home theater setup.Which should be far greater (>>>>>) then the pc setup.

Flexible - Yes parts are interchangeable, but you can only go so far since standards are always changing. Buy what you want once, and change up every generation or so. Just like with the desktop.

Batteries - I see this as redundant power source and the offering portability

I honestly see eGPU comming, or the PC being phased out and replaced by with consoles. I see this just by looking at the game selection available for pc's.

Last edited:

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Input - you still have the same connections available. I still perfer a wireless gamepad on any non fps game. You can still dock it with your mouse, keyboard, and monitor. Your already docking it with the eGPU. I would perfer using my TV + wireless game pad instead.
Laptops overheart unless they are sitting open and must be sitting on a table not a carpet lest their bottom fans get blocked and again, overheat.

So its pretty awkward to find a position to properly plug them into your nice big gaming keyboard, mouse, and display. If you are using the native display then an extra keyboard and mouse sit too far from the screen and are again awkward to use.
Using the built in laptop keyboard is not as good as using a real keyboard.

Output - You always have HDMI allowing you to use your kitted out home theater setup.Which should be far greater (>>>>>) then the pc setup.
Home Theater PC.

Flexible - Yes parts are interchangeable, but you can only go so far since standards are always changing. Buy what you want once, and change up every generation or so. Just like with the desktop.
It costs an arm and a leg to get it from manufacturer and the components are sub par (eg, 16GB of RAM and top end SSD).
Also, I can't fit an OS SSD and a RAID array of 3.5" HDD into a laptop (aka, its less flexible due to size restrictions).
Also AFAIK laptops typically limit you to 2 slots for ram (and small slots at that) rather then 4 or 6 large slots on PC.
And of course, GPU... no way to fit a good one into laptop...

However, eGPU will provide such a way which would greatly improve flexibility of a laptop.

Last edited:

mango123

Sep 1, 2012
[B said:
I honestly see eGPU comming, or the PC being phased out and replaced by with consoles.[/B] I see this just by looking at the game selection available for pc's.

HAVE YOU OPENED A STEAM STORE BROWSER LATELY?

Anyone care to mention WoW???

Do you care to count the number of quality titles for console compared to PC..

What about BF3 PC vs Console. Prime example. Bf3 largest map alborz mountains with 16 players max on console? Nah, I'll stick to my 64 on PC.

Not to mention the subsciption fees and connectedness to the crooked ASS sony and microsoft xboxlive crap.

Console will never replace PC. Consoles have been obsolete since SuperNES. :colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert: