Egg Drop Soup

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Anyone good at cooking it? I just made some for myself, since I had a craving for soup and there isn't really any other kind I can eat on Atkins.

You are just supposed to put a couple eggs in a boiling pot of chicken broth, right? The chicken broth's label said something silly about "do not boil, do not add water". So I added a little water and brought it to a boil. Then I added the eggs, I decided to do 3 eggs because I was pretty hungry. I ended up dropping in half of an egg shell but I was able to fish it out and other than ending up a little lumpy that part went well. Almost immediately after adding the three eggs the soup started to get foamy, so I took the pot off the heat and served some to myself in a bowl.

It tasted fine, but not the same as what I remember from the local cheap Chinese carryout place. Thinking about what I could add to it, I saw a can of black olives I recently opened. Thinking "why not", I poured a little bit of the black olive juice into the bowl... and that did it. It tasted just like the soup I get in a restaurant. I even decided to add a whole black olive to the last bowl, and it tasted great.

What else can I add to egg drop soup to make it taste decent? I'm on Atkins, so it has to be carb-free or nearly carb-free.

ryzmah

Feb 17, 2003
Drop in a mushroom or two. Green onions are good too.

I have no idea how many carbs either of those things have, but they taste good in the soup.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
cornstarch... not sure how that impacts the carbs tho. it makes the soup thicker

and corn

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Originally posted by: gopunk
cornstarch... not sure how that impacts the carbs tho. it makes the soup thicker

and corn

Those are both no-no's. I think I'll give it a try with chicken next time.

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
I make Italian egg drop soup. I put in a tsp of basil or an itailian herb blend along with each 14.5oz can of chicken stock I use. I bring it to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. I'll scramble an egg in a bowl for each can of chicken stock and pour in slowly, whisking briskly (hah) as I pour. This will let the egg break into those little threads that you get in the restaurant soup. Serve in bowls and sprinkle with lots of grated parmesan. It's dynamite and very LC.