Efficiency and its importance in gaming - updated GPU cost effectiveness list

How often do you normally upgrade a component? (Choose the closest please.)

• Every 6 months

• Yearly

• 2 years

• 3 years

• 4 years

• 5 years +

Results are only viewable after voting.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
[The latest spreadsheet can be found here.] [Custom Cost Efficiency spreadsheet here.]
Originally posted on Tom's Hardware, I thought this site and its members could use this information as well. Enjoy!

I seem to get scoffed at when I mention how important this is. So I thought I'd do some math and get some actual figures on paper, then electronic lapel to show everyone my points have validity.

Before I get into the real math and figures, I will say that in a year's time, the differences in costs are pretty substantial. Substantial like the fact that we critically argue how crucial initial costs of CPUs and GPUs per their performance marks, but when power efficiency comes into play we seem to forget operational cost per performance. If the video card you just bought for $30 cheaper performs even on par with another, but is significantly inefficient with its watt usage and heat generation in comparison and you'll spend that $30 you saved over the next 6 months - then more in the following months - wouldn't that be something you'd consider when originally purchasing it? Don't think energy costs that much? I dare you to continue reading.

Based off of reading an energy costs article from Anandtech from late 2008, I figured the math for a flat rate kWh consumption (http://www.anandtech.com/show/2668/2). Now, I will remind you that running a computer not only takes power, but also creates additional heat, which increases the demand on your A/C. I will not be exploring that aspect of cost factoring in this post, but I will provide you with a difference in my energy bill usage and costs for the last 4 months. This will provide you a good real-world example of what more heat and energy usage can do to my actual energy bill.

I live in Georgia, USA for those that are curious of rates. For those that don't know, the climate here is usually hot and humid (temperatures easily reaching 100+ with 90% humidity in summer months); a heavy demand on any A/C unit. Here, the pricing is tiered for the kWh you use and if it's during summer or winter months. For example: the first 650 kWh is charged at a rate of $0.045991, the next 350 kWh is at the rate of $0.03946, and if you go beyond 1000 kWh the rate is $0.038737 for winter. Summer months the rates increase as you reach the next tier - up to $0.078765. http://www.georgiapower.com/pricing/pdf/2.10_R-16.pdf Below are the costs exactly as it's coming out of my pocket. I was going to take out the fees and taxes, but then decided it wouldn't matter since every energy company charges this, and fees & taxes of the actual services provided is inherent to business.

June 2010 - 1,438 kWh - $176.48
July 2010 - 1,004 kWh - $126.58
August 2010 - 834 kWh - $102.70
September 2010 - 722 kWh - $80.44

Note that all four bills are in the summer charge rates. The only variances here are the heat outside and the fact that I got my brother to turn off his computer when he wasn't using it sometime in early-mid August (only reflecting in Septembers bill at this point). I'm certain my next month's bill will be even lower since it's cooler and my brother is no longer living with me. I always turn my computer off when I'm not using it. It's on for about 8 hours a day; 4-6 hours at full load (gaming) and 2-4 hours idle'ish.

Due to the way energy exchange works, 100% efficient PSUs can't possibly exist, and 82% is an industry standard. For availability, an example would be taken by looking at what Newegg has. Out of a total of 250 listed PSUs, 189 are rated below 80+, at 80+ or Bronze certified (82%+). Silver certified is where 85%+ is necessary. I know most custom builders probably use PSUs that are 500-800W and if building for initial cost effectiveness, I doubt the majority will spend more than $75 on a PSU. That being said, there are only a handful of PSUs listed at or under $75 that are Bronze certified, much less 80+ certified. So if you spent even less on an energy inefficient PSU to save your initial cost, chances are you can basically take all the numbers I'm providing here and multiply them by the % difference. Just like living in an area where energy costs are doubled (such as CA), this can make a HUGE difference [depending on your usage - see PSU Cost Effectiveness breakdown at the end].

Now onto the figures based on Anandtech's article. I based my initial figures off the charge rate of $0.07/kWh from NC (which happens to be pretty close to what GA charges as well).

Example #1 - Inefficient gaming rig
-at idle, will consume 310 watts
-under full load, will consume 550 watts

#1-This computer ran for 10 hours a day (8 hours full load, 2 hours at idle): $128.26/year; $10.69/month
#2-This computer ran for 24 hours a day (8 hours full load, 16 hours at idle): $239.15/year; $19.93/month

Example #2 - Efficient gaming rig
-at idle, will consume 160 watts
-under full load, will consume 350 watts

#3-This computer ran for 10 hours a day (8 hours full load, 2 hours at idle): $65.52/year; $6.64/month
#4-This computer ran for 24 hours a day (8 hours full load, 16 hours at idle): $136.95/year; $11.41/month

In both examples, you can see that by simply leaving your computer on increases costs dramatically; doubling power costs essentially.

Example #3 - extreme example for Los Angeles, California costs and a less efficient PSU (75% instead of 82%) (example numbers used from above):

#1-$420.50/year; $35.04/month
#2-$784.28/year; $65.36/month
#3-$261.68/year; $21.81/month
#4-$449.48/year; $37.46/month

So what are the actual differences between an extremely inefficient computer and one that is more efficient as well as someone not utilizing simple efficient power practices in an area where electricity costs $0.21 kWh? Humungous! A difference of $43.55/month. This does not include the additional heat generated either. So operational costs can easily be $40/month between extremes in California, and $20/month between extremes in the southeast (NC and GA at least) when also considering the extra A/C needed. I'll let you figure out the exact amounts, but in the 2-4 years you own that component of your computer, you could saved enough money in operational costs to upgrade again -or- purchase a higher quality product in 1/3rd to 1/8th the time.

Fortunately, not only for our wallets, but for Mother Earth as well, both AMD and Nvidia seem to have graciously adopted the importance of energy efficiency. The new 6800 series seems to only improve on the 5800's efficiency, and the GTX460 is a huge improvement over the 470 and 480. As dies get smaller, CPUs become more clustered and lower in frequency - less watts used and heat generated overall. Things are looking much better. However, ultimately, the choice is still yours.

Power Supply Cost Effectiveness breakdown:

From the following price comparisons, it looks as though the 700W range is your best bet for getting your money's worth out of a Gold rated PSU. Here, between 650, 700, and 750W PSUs the average difference will be $56.75. I was going to include 600W, but there was only 1 Gold rated+ PSU available and that wouldn't be very fair.

Here are the average prices of the PSUs listed on Newegg per Maximum Watt listing. [All prices taken from Newegg. Only available PSUs were used and prices after rebate and shipping were included.]

650W Gold+ average: $132.24 (4)
650W Bronze+ average: $73.99 (8)
Difference: ............. $58.25

700W Gold+ average: $140.71 (5)
700W Bronze+ average: $95.81 (6)
Difference: ............. $44.90

750W Gold+ average: $154.90 (8)
750W Bronze+ average: $87.81 (13)
Difference: ............. $67.09

Here's what I was able to figure out:

• At $0.07 kWh, a Bronze rated PSU that uses 325W full load (85% per Bronze standard) 6 hours/day and 160W at idle (82% per Bronze standard) 18 hours a day will cost: $127.87/year

• At $0.07 kWh, a Gold rated PSU that uses 325W full load (90% per Gold standard) 6 hours/day and 160W at idle (87% per Gold standard) 18 hours a day will cost: $120.56/year
As you can see, the difference is pretty negligible. It would take 7.8 years to cover the initial cost difference of the power supply alone. It really won't matter unless you're spending more than $0.07 on each kWh or are running your computer at full load more often (e.g. folding@home).

Follow-up post to show actual comparison information between popular reference GPUs.

Last edited:

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
Reviews always do a great job at convincing us that card A is more powerful than card B, but isn't as practical for use. Then card C is quieter and costs less. So that leaves a huge grey area. Inquiring minds like to see less grey and more black and white. As a follow-up to this post of the importance of having efficient hardware, I've taken actual numbers from reviews and determined - to some extent - how efficient the most popular GPUs are on the market today.

Disclaimers and Guided information:
  • This data is directly from the benchmark information found on Anand's Bench tool. Components which did not have all necessary information (wattage, FPS, etc...) are not included.
  • Feel free to verify, however, before you say "but this isn't what you put" remember that prices change and FPS results change depending on the exact testing platform. However, most, if not all were tested on the same platform.
  • Each spreadsheet is for each game individually, DirectX11, DirectX10, or the combination of averages between each. If you'll spend more time playing a certain game, certainly base your decision making with the performances given in that game.
  • Resale is not considered for the upgrade frequency.
  • At this time, only 1920x1200 resolution is compared. Future updates may include higher resolutions tested.
  • Don't be scared by all the data here! It's a lot, but if you take your time and look it over, you'll get exactly what you need out of it.
Latest Spreadsheet (11-26-11) found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aom9AHEzDd75dENXV2ZIMjJDQWZvdEFmWG9MdHNPNUEhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aom9AHEzDd75dHBLOHhndG5ZZ1pEOTdlUnVJYUZKWlE

Custom Spreadsheet found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aom9AHEzDd75dHBpelB6d1NwcF95ZmpQbVZzTFo5VlE

Last edited:

LamTek

Mar 15, 2011
Thank you for this amazing posts. I was arguing this very topic about a year ago with a friend especially since California electricity prices are so high! I pay on average about $0.17/kWh @ 600 kWh/month. At additional usage in my current Tier 4 is about $0.23/kWh, and $0.30/kWh after that. This is winter pricing mind you.

Your spread sheet is most useful.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
That figure for kWh is definitely cheaper than what I've seen in Toronto, Canada. It came out to about 12-15c/kWh when you included all the extra fees that were put into the bill.

Given the choice of 2 near equal performing cards, I would go with the more efficient one. I DO care about my energy usage in general and as a side-effect, cooling becomes easier the fewer watts the card consumes, and making it less likely that I will overload my watercooling loop.

Thanks OP for your post.

at80eighty

Jun 28, 2004
OP that was one of the best posts ive read here in a long long time

Welcome to the forums - great work & thanks for the food for thought

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
The other benefit of an efficient GPU and system is less noise:

Energy use creates heat, which must be moved out of the case with fans. The less heat a system creates, the less fan noise you'll need to move the heat out of the case.

(And those fans use power too, so if other components use less energy, so do your fans.)

Damascus

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2001
In the old days, the primary factor in most of my decisions was price/performance. Heat, noise, requirements and everything else be damned.

Nowadays, efficiency is near the top of my list. Hey, I simply hate how warm the room with the computer gets in the summer months. Second is buying just enough power plus a little headroom and not getting more than what I need.

Good to know it can save not insignificant amounts of money too.

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
God bless you, seems like you put in a lot of work and time into this.

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
I think this info is fairly obvious, but it's good someone pointed it out in great detail. Actually, not having to run the A/C as much is exactly why I'm thinking of upgrading to SB - don't really need the power atm, but would really like a cooler running system.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
I've discussed this before in the Power Supplies section, as applied to an entire system:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=30507172

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=30507671&postcount=15

I am not sure why we're talking about overall power in the video forum, except that video cards tend to be energy guzzlers.

You will find some people simply don't care about power costs, even if you put it into dollars and cents for them, if it goes against their preferred color of GPU (red or green). :)

Note that for those who leave their computers on for long periods of time, IDLE power matters more than LOAD power when calculating costs.

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
Guru 3d does something like this with their reviews, they use a 5 day a week, 4 hour gaming model for comparison , one card to another
There is idle and load power and those alone don't tell the whole story. If your running dual monitors, right off the bat, your using more electricity with any card (different resolutions).
Then you have the power used when using gpu acceleration, TPU tracks this under power used playing blu ray, also happens now with flash video hardware acceleration.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
I've discussed this before in the Power Supplies section, as applied to an entire system:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=30507172

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=30507671&postcount=15

Nice to see like minds. ^^

I am not sure why we're talking about overall power in the video forum, except that video cards tend to be energy guzzlers.

Because the follow-up spreadsheet is for GPUs and the most traffic on the site is in GPUs and General Hardware. I'd like to have as many people that don't know to see it. ¡Viva la Revolución! :D

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
perfwatt_1920.gif

Yes Power effeciency matters to me.

A penny saved is a penny made, and all that.
Its part of the reason I went with a 5870, ofc back then the 480 was more pricy, louder, hotter too.

Nov 26, 2005
I am very conscious of having an energy efficient machine. I just built my brother a machine and here are the specs - the main platform is a hand-me-down to him, even though he is older, hah

Q9650
Asus P5Q Premium
8G DDR2 900 CL4 @ 1.98v
AMD 5770
OCZ Vertex 2 80g
Creative Soundblaster 5.1
TRUE w 1 120mm fan running
Seasonic X 400w Gold rate 90+ % efficiency range

When I was using this machine as my main rig, I had a few more 120mm fans running. At that time I was using an Enermax Revo 950w Silver rated PSU. To get my watt readings I use a Reliance Appliance wall mount Load Tester so figures are total system power drawn from the wall, bought this at Lowes for 20$ When I had this as my main machine, the lowest I seen my idle watt drawl was ~ 115w IIRC might of been lower... This same setup as described above idles at 80w, and I'm totally excited about it! WOOOO!!!!

My question to you is how did you get your idle state readings?

tincart

Apr 15, 2010
In terms of power efficiency for a particular process technology, I think the 5850 is going to become a legend.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
So the moral of the story is you can either pay more up front for a better PSU or just pay for it later in the form of more expensive power bills.

Blitzvogel

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2010
While I appreciate efficiency, getting a gaming laptop cost wise wouldn't save you any money as far as power consumption goes, unless you're playing somewhere else other than your home most of the time. A laptop is nice to have though for the portability though and I own one myself, but while it has dedicated graphics, it's relatively weak (Geforce 310M) but good enough for stuff like TF2. Also I've been spending more time on my laptop lately for web browsing, and other non-gaming stuff, especially when I'm sitting in bed.

And yes, AMD pretty much slaps Nvidia around when it comes to performance per watt. Let's just see them do it with their CPUs vs Intel :|

I have a 5850 in my current main machine, which replaced a 4670 1 GB, and my other desktop which now has a GTX 460 1GB had a 5570 1 GB. Needless to say I've been very happy with all the ATi cards, as well as the GTX 460, but the ATi cards always seem to be a bit more refined compared to Nvidia's products.

Last edited:

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Personally, I couldn't give a brass monkeys about energy consumption! Performance then noise are my only considerations!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yes, according to a KAW, my F@H box with four 9600GSO 384MB video cards, and an AMD 45W dual-core, draws 400W at the wall. That's over $40/mo, at $0.15/KWh.

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
I'm a student and am renting a place where I pay a fixed amount for electricity (all utilities are included in my lease). So the price of electricity, I do not care about, but what I do care about is heat and thus I care about efficiency. When I have my own electricity bill to pay I'm sure I'll care a lot more.

Very informative post, although the poll doesn't really match the topic?

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I don't care about efficiency as it relates to power usage. The savings by using a card other than what I want for other reasons don't even add up to anywhere near my daily Diet Dew costs.

I agree as stated above that the poll is a whole different topic than the post.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
I upgrade every few years, but recently there's been little reason for me to. All my games are pretty playable. I'd like a better video card than my 4850, but have nothing to play that needs the extra power, really.