Effects of mood and music on exercise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terzo

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2005
What does academia say about this? I've looked around a little and read a few things about music. The following two come to mind.

A) It can help make exercise seems easier or more fun, but only when exertion is under a certain level (Dissociation)

B) It can help by providing a rhythm to match, which apparently is beneficial in repetitive type exercises

What I'm wondering is, does music affect strength exercises like weight lifting? It seems like music can help get you pumped up, but would that have any results? Does it make a difference (even if a small one) if you listen to nothing, something exciting like Rage Against the Machine, or something more subdued like Adagio for Strings?

Somewhat similarly, does your "mood" make a difference? I think this one does, although my evidence is only subjective and anecdotal. I've found that weight lifting seems easier if I'm angry about something, or if I try and pump myself out (generally by yelling encouragement at myself inside my head).

Can these have an effect, or am I just imagining things?

Last edited:

Pantlegz

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2007
I haven't read anything but I know that music can effect my mood and my mood can have an effect how my lifts go. I wouldn't say that it's 100% but I think it might be able to help.

Ghiedo27

Mar 9, 2011
It changes the perceived effort, that's for sure. If you're holding back because you think you're already pushing it than you may be willing to go a bit heavier or harder than normal. I don't think that there's a real physical boost, though.

Pantlegz

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2007
music gives me focus, rhythm and something to listen to vs the gym music :awe:

I've been thinking of taking music into the gym because the gym I go to plays nothing but kesha, pussy cat dolls and katy perry. It's kinda annoying.

Terzo

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2005
Laughing at some of the replies here. Personally, I don't mind the music at my gym. Sometimes I catch myself singling along, or trying to hold back a little dance.

It changes the perceived effort, that's for sure. If you're holding back because you think you're already pushing it than you may be willing to go a bit heavier or harder than normal. I don't think that there's a real physical boost, though.

I was thinking maybe mood increased testosterone? Something physical like that. The perceived effort stuff makes sense.

MrEgo

Jan 17, 2003
I've been thinking of taking music into the gym because the gym I go to plays nothing but kesha, pussy cat dolls and katy perry. It's kinda annoying.

Do you happen to go to Golds.. and they have the Golds Gym Broadcasting Network playing the whole time?

The Golds I go to does, and ALL of the music sucks. It's completely uninspiring. I guess it's in the eye of the beholder, but I wish they'd play something like Eye of the Tiger or some Metallica/Megadeth, or whatever... anything but R&B or boy bands.

JayBlay77

Jul 12, 2004
Not sure about physical, but imo every workout has a mental side to it. Thinking about how tired you are, or how heavy the lift is going to be, or how far you still have to run will affect how well you can perform. Music can help with this. Whether it's a rhythm to go to, lyrics to distract you or just noise to drown out that negative mental voice that is complaining.

Last edited:

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
Sort of a double edged sword for lifting imo... loud thumping music that gets you pumped might be because it raises ur heart rate(reason why you're more focused). But I guess it's equally like caffeine substitute since it can get you going where you would otherwise fail to complete what you're doing. All n all, it can't be that much better or worse. I listen to music for cardio only since they can be long and dull... it helps to pass the time but I also usually listen to serene music to keep me calm in which case actually helps me to lower heart rate? All of this is just speculation on my part so take that for what its worth.

queenrobot

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2007
I don't like to listen to music when I lift weights, but it helps immensely when I am doing cardio. I personally like to listen to drum and bass.

Status
Not open for further replies.