Effect of voltages on CPU lifespan

azilaga

Mar 24, 2003
How much life will I lose if I raise my CPU voltage to 1.85v, and constantly run it at 55-60C, and how much life will I lose from my RAM if I run it at 2.8v? My current system specs are as follows:

MB: Abit nf7s rev 2.0
CPU: XP2100+ @ 2200(200x11), 1.7v. Current temps: 49C-50C, ambient temp of 27C.
HSF: Vantec Aeroflow
RAM: Samsung PC2700 @ (7/3/3/2.5), 2.6v

I want to see how much juice I can squeeze from my rig, but want to make sure I keep it around for at least a year. I also have an Alpha PAL8045 HSF. Is it worth the trouble of disassembling my system to install?

Thanks!

eklass

Golden Member
Mar 19, 2001
voltage over spec = bad for life

if you handle it with precaution and some common sense, it should last you well over 5 years

ChampionAtTufshop

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2002
afaik, its immeasureable

most likely before it dies, or has a chance of dying, you will have upgraded or will be thinkig of doing so

MrSmithers

Dec 31, 2002
I read somewhere that every 10 degrees that you raised the temp of an electronic component you halved its lifespan. Haven't really tested that much, just what I heard. With higher voltages usually comes higher temps, but I don't know if it is a linear relationship or not, I seriously doubt it. I do know that when you have extra voltage, temps being higher than normal is more harmful than temps being at the same level at a lower voltage, but for most people here who probably keep a cpu for 1 year max, it probably isn't too big of a deal as long as temps are reasonable and chip is stable.

Smithers

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Exactly...it's the temp not the voltage really (although it's a cause and effect relationship).

Most of my overclocks have run at stock temps with upgraded cooling. As long as you are at stock temps you are more than likely on the same MTBF path.

Regardless though, even if you seriously heat your chip (within reason), it's going to last more than 1-2 years....within 1 year most chips fall to the $20-40 mark or less....so worst case you lose a nice dinner or lap dance :)