Question EEPC corrupted error, unexpected reboots after Win10 reinstall

ped5

Sep 8, 2019
Hi everyone,

I recently experienced a very odd computer behavior and slowdown from my Win10 tower build from 2016, and I attributed it to an old OS install with an upgrade from Win7 to boot (pun intended). Seems to be more than that.

Symptoms:
  • Keyboard didn't seem to be "powered" at POST which prevented entering UEFI. Fastboot was not enabled as I saw the splash screen.
  • After odd behavior, slowdown, stutter in games that should not stutter, and several reboots eventually I got a "EEPC has been corrupted" error. I don't have McAffee products that I'm aware of, nor use Bitlocker.
  • I did a CMOS reset to get into the BIOS to see if any settings seemed off, and checked the BIOS rev and it's the latest.
  • Initiated a Win10 reset, and after it's first reboot, I got the EEPC error again.
  • Hard power down, then the computer completed it's Win10 install, and after installing the MoBo chipset drivers, a reboot caused a third EEPC error.
  • Hard power down again, finished installing RST, Soundcard drivers, Antivirus - Bitdefender, Malwarebytes (no issues with either)
  • Today while in the middle of playing a game, computer reboot without warning. No useful errors from Windows System logs other than unexpected error.
What bothers me is how it seems intermittent, and according to other forums - the EEPC error relates to the "Endpoint Encryption for PC (EEPC) from any version earlier than 5.1.7 to EEPC 5.2.12." and nothing like the situation I have encountered. Then with the last reboot, wondering if this is hardware related.

Other information - maybe irrelevant:
  • Noticed safe boot in the UEFI was disabled when I was attempting to boot a clonezilla UEFI OS, and I didn't change it back. Still left it as safe boot disabled.
  • Over the past months, running HWinfo intermittenly got stuck at the SATA scanns, and forums indicated it was perhaps related to the ASMedia SATA port drivers, so on this reinstall I have not installed these drivers yet. So I shut off that feature, but not reinstalled HWinfo yet to test either.
  • I had a dual boot config on swappable small SSD used for OC testing, which I now removed. I can't recall if I got the last EEPC error with it in the rig or not. However the unexpected reboot occured without the small SSD installed.
So any ideas what it could be? Hardware failure of some sort? My m.2 boot drive? Virus/Malware? Any additional stuff I could try to troubleshoot to determine root cause?

Although it wasn't a BSOD error, here's the form and post I used on another forum, excluding the perfmon (as it's before windows boot).
  • OS - Windows 10 Pro Build 18362.295 (original was 19xxxx)
  • x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? 64
  • What OS was originaly installed on the system? Win 7 Pro
  • Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from a retailer)? OEM
  • Age of system (hardware): Apr 2016
  • Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? Reinstalled Sept 2 2019
  • CPU model: i7 6700K OC 4.6GHz
  • Video Card model: 980Ti SLI
  • MotherBoard - ASROCK Z170 OC Formula
  • Power Supply - brand & wattage: EVGA 1000W G2 80+ Gold
  • System Manufacturer: Homebulilt
  • Laptop or Desktop? Desktop
I put it in the Windows forum as I don't know which forum otherwise to post. At this point could be anything.

Thanks!