Edward Snowden Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
Nomination

He'd get my vote. (If I had one.)

What about you?

Vote for Snowden?

Or vote for someone else?

Uno

No point in voting. You see, the problem is this: Edward Snowden did something. And when you do something, you are no longer eligible for the nobel peace prize. Just ask our current president, he has it down like a pro.

:awe:

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
If he is nominated and wins it will be ironic ... he will enjoy looking at it while spending time in his jail cell.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Ugh. I thought we were over this. The guy had his 15 minutes. Can we move on already? NFL training camp is about to start and I honestly don't give a shit about my privacy, I have nothing that I need to hide.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Ugh. I thought we were over this. The guy had his 15 minutes. Can we move on already? NFL training camp is about to start and I honestly don't give a shit about my privacy, I have nothing that I need to hide.

Sincerely,
America

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
‘America has no functioning democracy’ – Jimmy Carter on NSA

"America has no functioning democracy at this moment," Carter said, according to Der Spiegel.

He also believes the spying-scandal is undermining democracy around the world, as people become increasingly suspicious of US internet platforms, such as Google and Facebook. While such mediums have normally been associated with freedom of speech and have recently become a major driving force behind emerging democratic movements, fallout from the NSA spying scandal has dented their credibility.

Article doesn't say if Carter would support Snowden for the Nobel. But I thought that this was relevant enough to post here.

Uno

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Id like to see him win it just to spite our current administration. Oblahblah and Eric Holder are some of the most inept people to run this country in its history, and it seems like every month there is a new scandal involving these fools.

A short sample of their fuckups: Benghazi, fast and furious, spying on Americans, Oblahblah and Holder taking sides in the Trayvon Martin case, when they should have allowed it stay local...And they continue to meddle in that case even after a Jury made their ruling. Im sure by the end of his term the economy will be even more crippled and the number of scandals will have tripled despite Oblahblah promising a "transparent" Government.

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
What amazes me is people are actually surprised. The patriot act has been around for years. You really thought they weren't using it?

And nothing will happen. People will forget about Snowden just like they forgot about Manning. He'll run out of his luck someday after people forget about him and he'll spend the rest of his life in prison.

History will most likely remember him, especially if you're right and the public ignores him, because one of these days that information that's being collected will be instrumental in the fall of yet another world power (ie, the US).

You and I on the other hand, will most likely be completely forgotten.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
The true weight of this, even if he doesn't win, is that if Obama actually captures Snowden and sentences him to some harsh verdict; he'll have done that to a Nobel Peace Prize winner/nominee. Which is something usually reserved for brutal dictatorships.

The media comparisons will be extreme and everywhere.

Nov 8, 2012
tumblr_m3oou8ZFl51r99uloo1_400.jpg

4PYWsp0.jpg