Edward Snowden Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize!

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
Best committee members!

I suggest that the 2013 Peace Prize awarded to the American citizen Edward Snowden.

Edward Snowden has - in a heroic effort at great personal cost - revealed the existence and extent of the surveillance, the U.S. government devotes electronic communications worldwide. By putting light on this monitoring program - conducted in contravention of national laws and international agreements - Edward Snowden has helped to make the world a little bit better and safer.

Through his personal efforts, he has also shown that individuals can stand up for fundamental rights and freedoms. This example is important because since the Nuremberg trials in 1945 has been clear that the slogan "I was just following orders" is never claimed as an excuse for acts contrary to human rights and freedoms. Despite this, it is very rare that individual citizens having the insight of their personal responsibility and courage Edward Snowden shown in his revelation of the American surveillance program. For this reason, he is a highly affordable candidate.

The decision to award the 2013 prize to Edward Snowden would - in addition to being well justified in itself - also help to save the Nobel Peace Prize from the disrepute that incurred by the hasty and ill-conceived decision to award U.S. President Barack Obama 2009 award. It would show its willingness to stand up in defense of civil liberties and human rights, even when such a defense be viewed with disfavour by the world's dominant military power.

Sincerely,

Stefan Svallfors
Professor of Sociology at Umeå University

Nomination

He'd get my vote. (If I had one.)

What about you?

Vote for Snowden?

Or vote for someone else?

Uno

Apr 27, 2012
A fine choice for the Nobel Peace Prize. This guy is a hero for what he did by exposing obama violating the 4th Amendment. I can't believe these guys were stupid enough to give the award to obama.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
LOL. What exactly has he done to "make the world safer"?

Warned US citizens and the world of just how big of a threat the specter of big government really is? Let us know how bad the erosion of our civil liberties has truly become, hopefully before it is too late? I guess the question is safer from what? I think he has certainly sparked a conversation that needs to be had though.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
"Edward Snowden has very sensitive "blueprints" detailing how the National Security Agency operates that would allow someone who read them to evade or even duplicate NSA surveillance, a journalist close to the intelligence leaker said Sunday.

Glenn Greenwald, a columnist with The Guardian newspaper who closely communicates with Snowden and first reported on his intelligence leaks, told The Associated Press that the former NSA systems analyst has "literally thousands of documents" that constitute "basically the instruction manual for how the NSA is built."

"In order to take documents with him that proved that what he was saying was true he had to take ones that included very sensitive, detailed blueprints of how the NSA does what they do," Greenwald said in the interview in Brazil, where he lives. He said the interview took place about four hours after his last interaction with Snowden, with whom he said he's in almost daily contact."

http://news.yahoo.com/greenwald-snowden-docs-contain-nsa-blueprint-235836523.html

(seems to me that other intelligence agencies probably already have this info, so it might be more damaging to our government (ruling elites) from a publicity point of view vs truly damaging national security).

As to OP's question, I would also vote him for Nobel Peace Prize.

Last edited:

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I think that's a great choice, he should get it. He's certainly a better candidate than obummer was.....

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
And why isn't this huge government data base encrypted, and any and all attempts to query the database carefully logged so no one can dip into the pool without leaving their fingerprints behind?

"Q: Is there a way to collect this data that is consistent with the Fourth Amendment, the constitutional protection against unreasonable search and seizure?

Binney: Two basic principles you have to use. ... One is what I call the two-degree principle. If you have a terrorist talking to somebody in the United States — that's the first degree away from the terrorist. And that could apply to any country in the world. And then the second degree would be who that person in the United States talked to. So that becomes your zone of suspicion.

And the other one (principle) is you watch all the jihadi sites on the Web and who's visiting those jihadi sites, who has an interest in the philosophy being expressed there. And then you add those to your zone of suspicion.

Everybody else is innocent — I mean, you know, of terrorism, anyway.

Wiebe:Until they're somehow connected to this activity.

Binney: You pull in all the contents involving (that) zone of suspicion and you throw all the rest of it away. You can keep the attributes of all the communicants in the other parts of the world, the rest of the 7 billion people, right? And you can then encrypt it so that nobody can interrogate that base randomly.

That's the way of preventing this kind of random access by a contractor or by the FBI or any other DHS (Department of Homeland Security) or any other department of government. They couldn't go in and find anybody. You couldn't target your next-door neighbor. If you went in with his attributes, they're encrypted. ... So unless they are in the zone of suspicion, you won't see any content on anybody and you won't see any attributes in the clear. ...

It's all within our capabilities.

Drake: It's been within our capabilities for well over 12 years.

Wiebe:Bill and I worked on a government contract for a contractor not too far from here. And when we showed him the concept of how this privacy mechanism that Bill just described to you — the two degrees, the encryption and hiding of identities of innocent people — he said, "Nobody cares about that." I said, "What do you mean?"

This man was in a position to know a lot of government people in the contracting and buying of capabilities. He said. "Nobody cares about that."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...istleblower-nsa-officials-roundtable/2428809/

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Remains to be seen if it'll make a difference, but Americans have been warned of becoming the fourth reich.

Here's an article of a man with absolute power. Maybe with the help of Snowden's leaks, someone will stop this power grab before it's too late.
Alexander also pushed hard for expanded authority to see into U.S. private sector networks to help defend them against foreign cyberattacks.
His proposed solution: Private companies should give the government access to their networks so it could screen out the harmful software.
"Don't worry, it's for your own protection."

Last edited:

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Remains to be seen if it'll make a difference, but Americans have been warned of becoming the fourth reich.

Here's an article of a man with absolute power. Maybe with the help of Snowden's leaks, someone will stop this power grab before it's too late.

What amazes me is people are actually surprised. The patriot act has been around for years. You really thought they weren't using it?

And nothing will happen. People will forget about Snowden just like they forgot about Manning. He'll run out of his luck someday after people forget about him and he'll spend the rest of his life in prison.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Americans will forget about Snowden just like they forgot about Manning.

FIFY

The rest of the world will learn, just like Manning. I still think Manning's leak was key to the Arab Spring. Snowden's leak will end American's control on the internet, and Silicon Valley's control of the world's data.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
FIFY

The rest of the world will learn, just like Manning. I still think Manning's leak was key to the Arab Spring. Snowden's leak will end American's control on the internet, and Silicon Valley's control of the world's data.

Doubtful, considering the rest of the governments of the world (that actually matter) already knew what Snowden leaked. They might act all surprised and angry so their citizens don't get too up in arms, but the reality is most of those countries know and are complicit.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
126719_600.jpg

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I support this it's disgusting what our govt is doing and even more disgusting trying to smear and besmirch him instead of addressing these crimes. But they are criminals so i guess I shouldn't expect different.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Nope. IMO, he's eligible for the "Piece Prize" though...

thug_sideways_pistol_aim.jpg

If they can't capture him and bring him back for trial...they should just kill him in whatever country in which he tries to hide.

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
no way he is getting the Peace Prize, just by nominating him, Norway will get spanked pretty badly

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Ahh yes, I remember back in the days when patriots were given the prize and their supporters backed them to the hilt.

I was looking through that and wondering where all the angst against the wrongs done went when their supported candidate turned out to be much the same. Because he wasn't Bush he redeemed the US, and ironically it is Snowden who was nominated in part to do the same for the Prize for choosing Obama.

But people who I thought were principled enough to stand against the wrongs done by those in power have proven fickle. They remain silent as their choice proves his perfidy.

Here we see what words mean, they mean nothing.

Your political wunderkind, the man selected for nothing other than not being Bush, criticizing the former USSR for allowing freedom of speech. No matter what Russia's motives are, that remains. Silence him.

Where are the cries of outrage over lies and duplicity?

Strangely silent.

Last edited: