Education Questions, unsure about what to take

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Okay guys. So..I'm sure you all show my post that I'm about to start a new job.

Well...I also have an interview at the University of Maine...and just for funs sake...I've been poking at their academic programs.

Why? Because if you work there you get tuition exemption.

I was thinking Computer Science, but after reading this forum, and looking at their description of it...it sounds more like programming than troubleshooting and network architecture layout / troubleshooting.

I had for some reason or another made a correlation between the two, because I had seen a lot of MCSE / CCNA people with CS degrees.

If your someone who..dislikes math, and isn't very into coding, but loves other IT work, what would you do?

I also enjoy accounting, but not sure if I enjoy it enough to make it a career.

Any majors on this list you think could fit my likes?

http://www.umaine.edu/about/ac...icprograms/default.htm

Any advice is appreciated, you guys are ussauly pretty helpful, and I do take the good advice to heart.

ghostman

Golden Member
Jul 12, 2000
Yes, Computer Science is about coding, math, logic and algorithms. I'm guessing Informations Systems is more fitting, but that leans toward the business side of things. If you're looking for straight-up networking/wiring, I'd almost imagine a trade school would be better for that. I got my CCNA in high school because our technology department happened to offer a class, but I don't remember coming across a course in college that was remotely similar. In my opinion, a CS degree is more marketable. Job postings for even sysadmin roles often say "CS degree or 3 years job experience required."

I had the opportunity to continue working at my University after I graduated. I had already accepted another offer when they approached me, but I sometimes wonder whether I should have stayed there. The money wouldn't have been nearly as good, but I could totally milk the tuition exemption thing. It's all funny-money to them anyway, so definitely take advantage of it and try some courses you don't think you'll enjoy. You may discover a hidden talent.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Originally posted by: ghostman
Yes, Computer Science is about coding, math, logic and algorithms. I'm guessing Informations Systems is more fitting, but that leans toward the business side of things. If you're looking for straight-up networking/wiring, I'd almost imagine a trade school would be better for that. I got my CCNA in high school because our technology department happened to offer a class, but I don't remember coming across a course in college that was remotely similar. In my opinion, a CS degree is more marketable. Job postings for even sysadmin roles often say "CS degree or 3 years job experience required."

I had the opportunity to continue working at my University after I graduated. I had already accepted another offer when they approached me, but I sometimes wonder whether I should have stayed there. The money wouldn't have been nearly as good, but I could totally milk the tuition exemption thing. It's all funny-money to them anyway, so definitely take advantage of it and try some courses you don't think you'll enjoy. You may discover a hidden talent.

Thanks. =)

Maybe if I can...get into the math side of things I could enjoy it.

I just poked around a little more and found..

http://factsheets.umaine.edu/EGR/11-ISE.pdf

Which is an Information Systems Engineering course.

Sounds more up my alley, but I wonder what you learn on the programming side of things...cause I could do light programming, but I'm no code wizard.

Well the upside I suppose is that most of the IT field majors have similar required classes, so I could probably fork one way or the other depending on what comes my way, right?