Education; our most vital resource.

Bill Wiltrack

Nov 7, 2012
obama543.jpg

To help make college more affordable, President Obama created the American Opportunity Tax Credit, worth $10,000 over four years and currently helping 9 million families cover the cost of college, and doubled investments in Pell Grants.

Earning a post-secondary degree or credential is no longer just a pathway to opportunity for a talented few; rather, it is a prerequisite for the growing jobs of the new economy. Over this decade, employment in jobs requiring education beyond a high school diploma will grow more rapidly than employment in jobs that do not; of the 30 fastest growing occupations, more than half require postsecondary education. With the average earnings of college graduates at a level that is twice as high as that of workers with only a high school diploma, higher education is now the clearest pathway into the middle class.

In higher education, the U.S.. has been outpaced internationally. While the United States ranks ninth in the world in the proportion of young adults enrolled in college, we’ve fallen to 16th in the world in our share of certificates and degrees awarded to adults ages 25-34 — lagging behind Korea, Canada, Japan and other nations. We also suffer from a college attainment gap, as high school graduates from the wealthiest families in our nation are almost certain to continue on to higher education, while just over half of our high school graduates in the poorest quarter of families attend college. And while more than half of college students graduate within six years, the completion rate for low-income students is around 25 percent.

Acknowledging these factors early in his Administration, President Obama challenged every American to commit to at least one year of higher education or post-secondary training. The President has also set a new goal for the country: that by 2020, America would once again have the highest proportion of college graduates in the world.

To achieve this bold goal for college completion, ensure that America’s students and workers receive the education and training needed for the jobs of today and tomorrow, and provide greater security for the middle class, President Obama and his Administration are working to make college more accessible, affordable, and attainable for all American families.

THIS IS HOW A LEADER LEADS

Last edited by a moderator:

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Do you get paid for these?

They probably won't give you credit for them now that the election's over.

Just sayin'.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
die troll

Obama's PR team is now working overtime, after the election? Is his image that bad?

Bill Wiltrack

Nov 7, 2012

I just REALLY appreciate this man and his vision.

I think Barack Obama is the GREATEST President that this young nation has ever had the pleasure of accomodating. That's all...

hmmmmn holds chin
/...Sounds like an idea for another thread.

His leadership is such a refreshing contrast to the previous office holder.

I am NOT political AT ALL.

Just impartially observing.

I appreciate your understanding and your positive responses.

Thank you!

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000

I just REALLY appreciate this man and his vision.

I think Barack Obama is the GREATEST President that this young nation has ever had the pleasure of accomodating. That's all...

hmmmmn holds chin/...Sounds like an idea for another thread.

His leadership is such a refreshing contrast to the previous office holder.

I am NOT political AT ALL.

Just impartially observing.

I appreciate your understanding and your positive responses.

Thank you!

You're a fucking head case.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
I'm surprised that a union member would be so happy to see people going to college instead of getting learning a trade/working for the union. Instead we have to many college educated people working in McDonalds or Walmart.

Ohhh now I see, that's why McDonalds and Walmart must be unionized.

Bill Wiltrack

Nov 7, 2012

Actually, if an individual completes my union's apprenticeship program they will receive an Associate's Degree from an accredited college.

A better educated person allows an individual to enjoy their ENTIRE life more.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
So you're the one that teaches them to drag their feet and take twice as long to do the same job as their non-union counterpart. Slowly but surely we have clients that will not accept union labor in their plants as having them add days to the project and cause loss of production.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
No need to credit Obama for the excellence of our universities and colleges. They are one of the few made-in-US products that are still highly valued around the world. They have been, for decades. No need to beat a dead horse on Republicans on that issue, either. I have never met a self-claimed conservative who doesn't want her/his kids to go Harvard.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
He's just proselytizing the Cult of Obama, he's just a bit cruder and over the top then the usual suspects in the forum.

Bill Wiltrack

Nov 7, 2012

u9Oxy.gif

...or like the guy who woke-up 8 days after a robust election and found President Barack Obama to still be POTUS.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
higher education is now the clearest pathway into the middle class. [/B][/SIZE]

In higher education, the U.S.. has been outpaced internationally. While the United States ranks ninth in the world in the proportion of young adults enrolled in college, we’ve fallen to 16th in the world in our share of certificates and degrees awarded to adults ages 25-34 — lagging behind Korea, Canada, Japan and other nations.
The force driving Germany's and Japan's powerful economies is manufacturing. Canada's economy is driven by natural resources. Are you saying that degrees in music and general studies help one get jobs in manufacturing or mining?

http://newsone.com/2003819/college-unemployment/
WASHINGTON (AP) — The college class of 2012 is in for a rude welcome to the world of work.
A weak labor market already has left half of young college graduates either jobless or underemployed in positions that don’t fully use their skills and knowledge.
Yeah! Let's have more of that!

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
The force driving Germany's and Japan's powerful economies is manufacturing. Canada's economy is driven by natural resources. Are you saying that degrees in music and general studies help one get jobs in manufacturing or mining?

http://newsone.com/2003819/college-unemployment/

Yeah! Let's have more of that!
:thumbsup:

I feel like there's a real commitment to trade schools, apprenticeships, and the like in Germany.

in the US, I feel like our educational system places waaaaay too much emphasis on 4 year Universities. the fact is, a 4-year degree isn't really necessary or even right for a lot of people.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Education; our most vital resource.

the chronically cynical dislike you it seems

I'm a huge advocate of a good liberal arts higher education. My wife has been teaching many aspects of biology for decades. Shes earned several degrees, her most advanced ohn molecular genetics earned at one of the top schools. She has mentored and taught some of the finest minds in medicine and science. Yesterday she received an email from one of them who has developed a gene therapy which cures a rare but profound blindness. A genuine cure. My wife supported her when she had her own troubles and served as this womans role model, and she was neither the first nor last.

Obama can't claim a personal influence, intellectual ability or an academic record which compares to the love of my life.

The OP would most like turn it around to give credit to Obama. That irks me, and you'll note several posters from the left who find him egregiously sycophantic.

Bill Wiltrack

Nov 7, 2012

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bring up your wife and that advice story thingy in my original post.

Obviously, you are right, I am egregiously sycophantic.

HACRE.gif