Edmunds Test: Porsche 911 Turbo

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
Damn, I could buy 3 Lotus Elises with that money!!! ;)

You're paying 1/3 less because you're driving a car that's 1/3 less a car.

What are you driving?

How does what I "do" drive turn into a battle against what you think you "could" buy.

911 is by FAR greater than an Elise. That's the argument at hand.

iversonyin

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2004
Damn, I could buy 3 Lotus Elises with that money!!! ;)

Man, if I didn't know who/what Elise is, I would tell you to get off his d**k. :D

iversonyin

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2004
Originally posted by: robphelan
sigh.. i don't know why i bother even reading about a 911 with 2 kids and a mortgage

Its pure and simple. I'll tell you what you won't admit:

You want to sell your house, give your kids away. And BUY a 911! :D

Thank me later.

iversonyin

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2004
Originally posted by: mariok2006
Originally posted by: Mutilator
Originally posted by: JS80
My guess is $60k profit per 911 turbo

I think I heard or saw something a few weeks ago that said Porsche gets up to $20K profit on some of their cars, leading the car industry. I imagine that $20K would be for the Turbo, I doubt they'd be making $60K on it.

This was the original article, but it turns out that Porsche denied it a short while later.

How much of Porsche did VW own? You might able to find out the profitability of Porsche from the financial statements.

Apex

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
www.gotapex.com
Originally posted by: iversonyin
Originally posted by: mariok2006
Originally posted by: Mutilator
Originally posted by: JS80
My guess is $60k profit per 911 turbo

I think I heard or saw something a few weeks ago that said Porsche gets up to $20K profit on some of their cars, leading the car industry. I imagine that $20K would be for the Turbo, I doubt they'd be making $60K on it.

This was the original article, but it turns out that Porsche denied it a short while later.

How much of Porsche did VW own? You might able to find out the profitability of Porsche from the financial statements.

Porsche owns part of VW, not the other way around.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
That's a really nice car, too bad it is completely owned by the Kawasaki ZX14.

The Ninja can accelerate to 100 kilometers per hour (62mph) from a standing start in under 2.5 seconds,[5] and is capable of completing a standing quarter mile in about 9.83 seconds.[6] Top speed is restricted electronically to 300 kilometers per hour (187 mph) according to a gentlemen's agreement between Kawasaki and Suzuki.[citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_Ninja_ZX-14
It was introduced for the 2006 model year at a MSRP of $11,500 USD

Apex

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
www.gotapex.com
Originally posted by: marincounty

The Ninja can accelerate to 100 kilometers per hour (62mph) from a standing start in under 2.5 seconds,[5] and is capable of completing a standing quarter mile in about 9.83 seconds.[6] Top speed is restricted electronically to 300 kilometers per hour (187 mph) according to a gentlemen's agreement between Kawasaki and Suzuki.[citation needed]

However, a 911 turbo will beat the ZX14 around most tracks thanks to much higher grip levels and braking, especially when normalizing for driver/rider skill.

We're talking horses for courses here.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Apex

However, a 911 turbo will beat the ZX14 around most tracks thanks to much higher grip levels and braking, especially when normalizing for driver/rider skill.

Obviously dollar for dollar a bike will be faster than a car, but its a pointless argument. It's like saying the 911TT is superior b/c it has A/C.

But cars will always have a higher performance envelope than bikes at the high end, ignoring cost obviously. Personally I'd love to have an Ariel Atom as a track car - not sure if there's a bike that can keep up with a K20-supercharged Atom around a track.

iversonyin

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2004

My chance of survival in an accident will probably be better in a Porsche. The Porsche has a roof, radio, A/C. And I don't have to wear tight leather pants and helmet to drive it. Wake up in my pajamas, put some shoes on and GO.

I'm comfortably seated in the Porsche as well. I don't have to BEND down to drive it.

Why not just strap on a rocket boost backpack and go. Probably go a hell lot faster...but that's not the point, is it?

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: dawheat

Obviously dollar for dollar a bike will be faster than a car, but its a pointless argument. It's like saying the 911TT is superior b/c it has A/C.

But cars will always have a higher performance envelope than bikes at the high end, ignoring cost obviously. Personally I'd love to have an Ariel Atom as a track car - not sure if there's a bike that can keep up with a K20-supercharged Atom around a track.

i'd definetely put my money on the 300 HP K20 Atom. :D that car truely smashes any notion one might have of the limits of road performance.

amicold

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: thomsbrain
Originally posted by: dawheat

i'd definetely put my money on the 300 HP K20 Atom. :D that car truely smashes any notion one might have of the limits of road performance.

:thumbsup: