Edmunds First Drive: 2007 BMW X5

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Linky

First Impressions: With substantially better ride quality, improved handling and a nicer interior, the X5 remains the sport-utility vehicle to beat, assuming you don't need much in the way of utility.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Eh. Doesn't look too bad I suppose but there's still this...

The only sour notes in the interior are on the center console, where both an iDrive knob and a heavily designed electronic shifter have found a home. Despite half a decade on the market, iDrive is no more intuitive than it was at introduction. In our test vehicle, which had neither a navigation system nor a rearview camera (both are part of an option package that adds $2,600 to the V8's $55,195 base price), the iDrive was simply an unnecessarily complicated way to change the radio station.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I'll take the the FX45 for a good $5,000 less and sans the i-drivel.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Hehehe, my Father-In-Law was looking at the X5 but ended up buying a Lexus RX330 primarily because the X5 cost $10k more. This is a guy who has owned many BMW's, a couple Porsches, a Mercedes and a Jag.

BTW-We have an RX350 in our driveway tonight as a loaner while our IS is getting serviced. It's a pretty sweet ride. :thumbsup:

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: President of the Anti-SUV Brigade
BTW-We have an RX350 in our driveway tonight as a loaner while our IS is getting serviced. It's a pretty sweet ride. :thumbsup:

Error! Error!
Does not compute.

dandruff

Golden Member
Jan 28, 2000
looking to buy one in 2007 ... dont buy anything in its 1st year ... got a card in mail inviting us to testdrive it in nov ... looks well composed ...

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
Luxury SUV's are all ugly to me. I mean, for a car to look good it can't look wrong - a utility vehilce styled like a luxo car is wrong. An SUV that looks like it'd take a hit from a howitzer without slowing down as it goes up the side of a cliff, like an H1 or a Range Rover looks right.

Same thing goes the other way, a compact that looks like a truck is wrong (Nitro).

Enough with the abominations.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
I love my current generation X5.
I have to agree that the ride is kind of harsh, but I have the sports package on mine.

This X5 looks amazing. I wish I could afford it. Maybe in a couple years I can get myself one.

Driving an X5 is like driving a sedan. It doesn't feel like you are driving an SUV at all. That is why I love it so much.

The interior quality is amazing, but not the best I have seen. I would have to give the best interior quality to Lexus. I sat in an ES330 at the mall and it felt nicee and this is the ES!

Mercedes, Audi, Porsche have equal interior quality materials as a BMW IMO, but Porsche might have a slight edge. Acura IMO has great interior quality when you move up to the RL class.

My favorites are still:

Best exterior: Range Rover, G-class (grew on me).
Best interior: New MDX (haven't seen it in person).

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: vi_edit

Error! Error!
Does not compute.

What is it EXACTLY that does not compute?

Edit-My bad...Didn't read the "originally posted by" part. :laugh: It's a loaner...what am I gonna do? Demand a sedan? :p

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

Error! Error!
Does not compute.

RX350?

Did they bump the 330 to 350? I was not aware of this.
Sweet.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

Error! Error!
Does not compute.

he's saying ur a hater, specifically of suvs

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: OS

Error! Error!
Does not compute.

he's saying ur a hater, specifically of suvs

I'm not particularly fond of SUVs, it's true. My sig was more a poke at dug777 to begin with but since I don't own an SUV and I actually do care about the environment I thought I'd leave it in there as a bit of a political statement...kind of goes hand in hand with my cycling to work once or twice a week. :thumbsup:

Edit-I wouldn't buy one though. Well, maybe the hybrid if I were made of money...maybe.