Edmunds First Drive: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Nebor
Originally posted by: senseamp
G35 is going to have 300+ hp NA with 7500 rpm redline, and cost closer to the 325i. 335i needs to put out more HP to justify its pricetag.

BMWs don't need horsepower to justify their pricetag. They have a reputation backed by solid performance.

Besides, there's no way in hell the G35 will even come close to matching the 335's useable powerband or torque.

Not true, VQ has excellent low end torque and a very wide powerband. Add to that a 7500 rpm redline, and you got one hell of an engine. Infiniti has reputation backed by solid performance too, and it's got reliability as well. If BMW didn't need horsepower to justify their pricetag, they would not be turbocharging their I6. Their I6 doesn't scale like the competition's V6's do, so they have to add turbos to keep up in the HP race, with both Infiniti and Lexus coming out with 300 HP+ V6s. I could see how a few years back, BMW could get away with being underpowered because of great interior and exterior design, but those days are gone. We have Bangled up exteriors, weird looking interiors, and i-drive. Nothing really to write home about.
http://www.nissannews.com/multimedia/concept/2007/800px/04_coupe_concept.jpg

The new VQ makes 310hp @ 7500rpm. Sadly, it only makes 217 ft-lbs of torque, and that doesn't show up until 6000rpm.

While the 335i makes 295 ft-lbs of torque @ 1300rpm (that's right, just off idle) and holds it all the way to the top.

Basically BMW has made a smoother motor for a more normal car, and Infiniti has made an attempt at replicating the M3 3.2l, but with a larger engine, less horsepower, and less torque. All in a heavier car. Brilliant.

You must be thinking of some Honda motor, and probably never driven a VQ powered car. VQ made 260 lbft of torque at low RPMs since it came out in 2002 Maxima.
This new motor will only build on that, and add a 7500 rpm redline. What BMW has done is attempt to replicate competitors V6 power using a 3L Inline Turbo, while costing about $10K more and taking a couple step backwards in exterior and interior design. Brilliant.

Oh, you're right, I was thinking about the Honda engine going in the new 350z. I shouldn't have been reading this Honda board.

Learn how horsepower is calculated then get back to me, chief. Fortunately they run through that in the thread I linked.

I know how horsepower are calculated and how you got that 217 number. But you are assuming that VQ's peak torque is at 7500 rpm in your calculation, when in fact it comes way earlier. and then falls off a bit towards the redline. You can rest assured that the peak torque number for VQ35HR will be 260lbft or more, with most of it available at low revs.
You can see from this 350Z dyno that peak torque and peak HP occur at different RPMs.
http://www.freshalloy.com/site/cars/nissan/2005/z/motordyne/images/dyno.jpg

Farbio

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2000
Originally posted by: SKC
I want.

Much.

Yowwwza. Still not as great looking as the '99-'01 3 series at first glance, but I like the much-improved (vs. sedan) rear. The whole thing looks more streamlined.

And the engine is hott..

definitely agree....wish you could do like you can with trucks and put a different model year front clip on, and viola, front of a e46, ride, handling, etc of an e90:)

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
G35 is going to have 300+ hp NA with 7500 rpm redline, and cost closer to the 325i. 335i needs to put out more HP to justify its pricetag.

BMWs don't need horsepower to justify their pricetag. They have a reputation backed by solid performance.

Besides, there's no way in hell the G35 will even come close to matching the 335's useable powerband or torque.

Not true, VQ has excellent low end torque and a very wide powerband. Add to that a 7500 rpm redline, and you got one hell of an engine. Infiniti has reputation backed by solid performance too, and it's got reliability as well. If BMW didn't need horsepower to justify their pricetag, they would not be turbocharging their I6. Their I6 doesn't scale like the competition's V6's do, so they have to add turbos to keep up in the HP race, with both Infiniti and Lexus coming out with 300 HP+ V6s. I could see how a few years back, BMW could get away with being underpowered because of great interior and exterior design, but those days are gone. We have Bangled up exteriors, weird looking interiors, and i-drive. Nothing really to write home about.

The new VQ makes 310hp @ 7500rpm. Sadly, it only makes 217 ft-lbs of torque, and that doesn't show up until 6000rpm.

While the 335i makes 295 ft-lbs of torque @ 1300rpm (that's right, just off idle) and holds it all the way to the top.

Basically BMW has made a smoother motor for a more normal car, and Infiniti has made an attempt at replicating the M3 3.2l, but with a larger engine, less horsepower, and less torque. All in a heavier car. Brilliant.

You must be thinking of some Honda motor, and probably never driven a VQ powered car. VQ made 260 lbft of torque at low RPMs since it came out in 2002 Maxima.
This new motor will only build on that, and add a 7500 rpm redline. What BMW has done is attempt to replicate competitors V6 power using a 3L Inline Turbo, while costing about $10K more and taking a couple step backwards in exterior and interior design. Brilliant.

Oh, you're right, I was thinking about the Honda engine going in the new 350z. I shouldn't have been reading this Honda board.

Learn how horsepower is calculated then get back to me, chief. Fortunately they run through that in the thread I linked.

I know how horsepower are calculated and how you got that 217 number. But you are assuming that VQ's peak torque is at 7500 rpm in your calculation, when in fact it comes way earlier. and then falls off a bit towards the redline. You can rest assured that the peak torque number for VQ35HR will be 260lbft or more, with most of it available at low revs.
You can see from this 350Z dyno that peak torque and peak HP occur at different RPMs.

Regardless it doesn't have nearly the torque band of the 335i. The VQ torque may come in low, but it's nowhere close to 1300rpm low. That's something you only see from small displacement twin turbo engines, like from Bentley or Rolls Royce. And it's maximum torque is far off from the 335i.

Plus I don't have to mention that turbocharged engines are soooo much cheaper to squeeze more power out of in the aftermarket.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i liked the look of this BMW and i realized why.. i saw an audi grille on the front ;)

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

Regardless it doesn't have nearly the torque band of the 335i. The VQ torque may come in low, but it's nowhere close to 1300rpm low. That's something you only see from small displacement twin turbo engines, like from Bentley or Rolls Royce. And it's maximum torque is far off from the 335i.

Plus I don't have to mention that turbocharged engines are soooo much cheaper to squeeze more power out of in the aftermarket.

Why do you need 300lb ft of torque at low rpms, aside from burning your clutch? Is the 335i geared to take advantage of the extra low end torque to save gas on the highway, like a Corvette is?
VQ torque curve leaves nothing to be desired, and it does produce more horsepower, and it's a well proven bulletproof NA motor with a nice 7500rpm redline. As far as aftermarket being cheaper, with G35, you get $8K or so cost savings over the 335i that you can use on mods right away, so there goes that arguement.

MixMasterTang

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001

VQ torque curve leaves nothing to be desired, and it does produce more horsepower, and it's a well proven bulletproof NA motor with a nice 7500rpm redline. As far as aftermarket being cheaper, with G35, you get $8K or so cost savings over the 335i that you can use on mods right away, so there goes that arguement.

You then can promptly void your warranty by putting those mods on.

I don't think anyone plans on buying a 335i so they can have a race car, but like stated before BMW did need to fill a gap between the 330i and the upcoming M3, which they are doing. They will probably sell quite well and therefore is a good business decision by BMW.

There's no sense arguing whether this new 335i will be better than the Lexus Is350 or Infiity G35, they all are very nice cars and have their advantages.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

Why do you need 300lb ft of torque at low rpms, aside from burning your clutch? Is the 335i geared to take advantage of the extra low end torque to save gas on the highway, like a Corvette is?

BMW's official 0-60 is 5.3s. Once a proper car rag gets ahold of it, I promise you the new G35 won't be anywhere close.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Well this thread went in a predictable direction...

Some points to clarify why BMW have produced this engine, as some of you have not heard why they chose to turbo the six:-

- Boosts HP by 15% and TQ by 30% over the 3.0 N/A
- Retains high revving nature of the straight six with the power and torque of a larger, NA eight. (to quote the S54 in response to this is not valid.)
- The turbo's are low inertia (read small) for rapid spool up and each can pump air at up to 1.6 bar (23psi) into a common collector for all six ports. Note, a small turbo pushing 23psi != large turbo pushing 23psi.

All information sourced from BMW Magazine, July 2006, UK edition.

iversonyin

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2004

You don't save $8k by buying the G35. If you take European Delivery Option on the BMW tack on to its free maintenance plan. The price is very close.

Lets not forget the BMW superb handling. Lets not even get into the interior of the G as well.

The only thing the G35 offer over this new BMW is the curveous design. The new G35 better be damn good.

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
Some day when I have money to spend, I'd like to try and swap this engine into my e46...

thecritic

Sep 5, 2004
Interesting...

Fwiw, I was just looking at some of the new GM 3.9L, pushrod engines. As lousy as GM cars may be to some, I find it interesting that their 3.5L/3.9L engines put out peak torque around 3000 RPM...

Now, I wonder why their 0-60 times aren't top notch ???

theslickvik

Nov 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Googer
Originally posted by: SampSon
I returned mine after a week of owning it. It just wasn't as fast as my Z06 vette and the interior wasn't near as sweet as my Bentley.

Yeah right............... I doubt you have a Bentley.

Unless his dad is Gates. Basically this car has the:
1. Front of the 6 series
2. Back of a 7series
=Joined halfway

Definetly No bueno

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
Back in like 2003, I drove an E46 330i back-to-back with an Infiniti G35. There is no comparison. The Infiniti is built and feels like a Nissan. The BMW feels like an athlete, capable of doing circles around the G35. I dare say the BMW is worth its premium.

I drove a 2005 6MT G35 w/sport package and an auto E90 330i back to back. There was no comparison. The G35 was a better driving car and I went for it. The 2005s+ are very different from the 2004s and earlier.

I recently took in my G35 for a 7500 mile service and the Infiniti mechanic was very curious. He says they almost never see 6MT 4 door G35s. Most are auto.