Editing a "locked" PDF

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by duragezic, Jul 28, 2005.

1. duragezic

duragezic Lifer

I have a very large circuits assignment to do from problems in about 10 PDFs. Each PDF however, is a whole chapter. I only need the last 10 pages or so from each PDF that has the problems. Using Acrobat Reader, the PDF is completely locked. I can't even print anything. It is a real pain to have to copy every problem down (over 100). So I, eh, am demoing Adobe Acrobat Pro 7.0. But I can't figure out how to select only a few pages from the original PDF and save it as a new one. Then I can send that PDF to the school to print. Is this possible to do?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Editing locked Forum Date
    Locked Word File, How to Open Software for Windows Jan 22, 2017
    Video Editing for Windows 10 Software for Windows Jan 17, 2017
    Which video editing software Software for Windows Sep 21, 2016
    Problems with Ccleaner free edition... Software for Windows Aug 24, 2016
    Looking into doing some video editing, need help Software for Windows Aug 23, 2016

3. wkinney

wkinney Senior member

Document, Extract Pages...

4. duragezic

duragezic Lifer

That option as well as others near it are greyed out. So is the PDF totally locked down and there's nothing I can do about it??

5. wkinney

wkinney Senior member

You cant use the Select Text button and highlight the text that you need? Or are there graphics that you need? If not then can't you just copy, paste it into word...

6. duragezic

duragezic Lifer

Yes there are diagrams that I need. The select tool will grab voltages, resistance numbers etc but not the circuit diagrams. I can't seem to do anything with the PDF. Crap.

7. wkinney

wkinney Senior member

screenshot ? :Q

8. NuclearNed

NuclearNed Raconteur

If I recall correctly, the author of a PDF has the ability to lock (i.e. password protect) a PDF from printing and text selection, just like the OP said.

I don't think there is any way to get around this security feature, unless you can find some sort of crack on the net.

9. WobbleWobble

WobbleWobble Diamond Member

NuclearNed is right. It's because of the security features of Acrobat that prevents you from doing any editing/printing. I'm pretty sure there are work arounds for these protections on the net.

10. duragezic

duragezic Lifer

Bah. I found a cracker that worked cept with the trial it only does the first 5 pages of the PDF. And I read on another board that anything not Adobe (i.e. Ghostscript) can open and do whatever with a locked .pdf. So I got GS but it seems complicated and not worth the time to have to do to 10 separate PDFs. Someone in my class apparently took screencaps of the problems but it took her about 4 hours. Anything nearing that long I may as well just copy the problems down on a piece of paper.

11. bersl2

bersl2 Golden Member

You might want to make this known to your teacher that the locked-down nature of the documents is not very conducive to learning, and that if an unprotected version cannot be obtained, a new source for materials should be considered. This kind of problem is the poster child of why DRM sucks.

12. LASTGUY2GETPS2

LASTGUY2GETPS2 Platinum Member

13. duragezic

duragezic Lifer

That PwdRemover would be good except that it has the limitation of only doing the 1st half of the pages in the pdf. The 2nd half is what would have what I need.

edit: We've already asked our prof about the locked pdfs. Basically he didn't really care since he wants us to copy every friggin problem by hand.

14. Concillian

Concillian Diamond Member

Lol, I loved college :disgust: