*EDIT* YACT: Car steering wheel STILL shakes on highway

weirdichi

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2001
1991 Integra RS Hatchback 147k miles

Basically, the steering wheel shakes up and down, not the whole car. It only does this when I'm going about 60-65 mph and after it's only doing this after I've driven about 20+ miles (maybe because the engine has warmed up). The steerin wheel shakes. That's about it.

It *could* be the engine since there's a thumping sound, but I think it's coming from the tires/axle. The smell of burnt rubber in the front tires and not the back makes me think so. I slow down to about 40 and below and the shaking is gone.

Anybody have any idea what's going on? Thanks in advance!

*EDIT 05-01-05*
I got new front tires at the shop. However, it still shakes like a mofo at around 60-65mph. Could THIS be the problem (not the cracked plastic covering, but the bent wheel) or is it the back tires and I just need a new set for the back also? Thanks again!

jammur21

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2004
Usually if a tire is not balanced, you will feel it until about 45-50mph. Anything faster and you can't feel it anymore, even though the problem is still there.

Slvrtg277

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2004
Originally posted by: jammur21
Usually if a tire is not balanced, you will feel it until about 45-50mph. Anything faster and you can't feel it anymore, even though the problem is still there.

You can still feel an unbalanced tire at speeds higher than that. My experiences tell me that you can actually feel it more. It's quite a nuisance.

Smells of burnt rubber otoh....dunno about that one.

weirdichi

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2001
Welp, I need new tires anyway for the front wheels. I'll have the tire shop look at them later. Thanks for all the help! I just hope it's not the axles and/or joints.

Aug 23, 2000
Well it wouldn't be axles. It can be suspension though. How old are the shocks/struts/springs on the car? Also check your power steering fluid. does it smell burnt? is it low?

cjgallen

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2003
My bug would shake around 60mph. I got an alignment, new tires/wheels, and it would still shake.

Last week however, I replaced my front drum brakes with disc brakes, and regreased my inner and outer wheel bearings. No more shaking.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Take both front wheel covers off and try it again. If they balanced the new tires, I bet that solves it.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

i've never heard of balancing tires.

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005
Rack
tie rods
ball joints
wheel bearings
bent rim

Not familiar with Acura but that would be the suspects on my cars

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919

i've never heard of balancing tires.
They may put the weights on the wheel but the combo gets balanced.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
At 150k miles, it's one major component that's screwed up & everything else is worn enough to make it that much worse.

Take it in & get it aligned after your replace the bent rim and have the wheels balanced, they should be able to pinpoint the problem if it's not fixed by rim replacement, alignment & balancing.

PetunZ

Oct 25, 2004
I had the same problem on a corolla. Got the alignment fixed and everything went away.

RgrPark

Golden Member
Mar 11, 2000
either alignment or unbalanced wheel.

if your wheel is bent, it would definitely shake. try swtiching out the front wheel with a back wheel if all 4 of your tires are the same specs...if it shakes in the back, voila, u found the problem.