edit multi boot order in Mint

DarkTXKnight

Oct 3, 2001
I have a laptop for my daughter that Ive dual booted between windows and Mint. When installing Mint the boo tloader sets the default OS as being Mint, when Id like the order to default to Windows 7 . How can I change this boot order?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
I've never used mint but if it uses grub then you'd just need to edit grub.conf. In Fedora and RHEL that's in /boot/grub/grub.conf. The "default=" is what you need to change. 0 is the first stanza, 1 is the second, etc... Just change it to the one that you want to be the default.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Type "sudo gedit /etc/default/grub" in terminal, then change the default from "0" to "2" (it might need to be 1 instead).

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
Type "sudo gedit /etc/default/grub" in terminal, then change the default from "0" to "2" (it might need to be 1 instead).
And, don't forget to run...

Code:
sudo update-grub

...after you 'save' your changes. :)

If the stub doesn't work for you, try...

Code:
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Last edited:

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
And, don't forget to run...

Code:
sudo update-grub

...after you 'save' your changes. :)

If the stub doesn't work for you, try...

Code:
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Why do you have to go through all that, can't you just edit grub.conf in Ubuntu or Mint?

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
Why do you have to go through all that, can't you just edit grub.conf in Ubuntu or Mint?
Short answer: No!

Long answer... :sneaky:

SOURCE: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
  • /boot/grub/menu.lst [...] has been replaced by /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

• The main menu file, /boot/grub/grub.cfg, is not meant to be edited, even by 'root'.

• grub.cfg is updated by running the update-grub command as root. The update-grub command is a stub for sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg. For standardization, the command update-grub will be employed, run as "root" with the sudo.

• The files in this directory are read during execution of the update-grub command and their instructions are incorporated into /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

• The /boot/grub/grub.cfg file should not be edited by the user; changes to this file are made by configuration scripts.

• Run update-grub as root to add the new settings to /boot/grub/grub.cfg

• If there is no /boot/grub/grub.cfg or it's not correct, create one using update-grub

AnMig

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2000
The easiest non techy way would be to go to software manager and search for "startup manager or boot manager".

from there (all GUI interface) it is relatively easy to change the boot priorty and time to display choices.

I used to do it the old way (edit in grub) but I always have a hard time remebering the lines.

boot manager is kind of a newbie windows way of changing grub.

Peace (I have 3 systems using mint) and have always done it this way

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
Startup manager is basically a necessity with grub2.
When it works... :awe:

I haven't had a lot of luck using Startup-Manager (with Ubuntu/Grub2). It doesn't seem to do anything.

Grub2 is weird! I'm thinking about going back to legacy Grub.

For instance, I'm dual-booting Ubu 10.04 LTS and Ubu 10.10 Dev on this machine, via Grub2. Whenever I update the kernel in 10.10, it doesn't 'update-grub' when it's finished. SUM doesn't do jack either. However...

If I 'update-grub' in 10.04, it works fine.

I dunno. Maybe it's because I'm dual-booting 10.04/10.10 and it confuses Grub2. Legacy Grub never had these problems! That's what I'm running on other machines, dual-booted and multi-booted, and grub-legacy works fine (sans OpenSolaris)!

I've had the best luck with deleting/purging Grub2 entirely:

Code:
$ sudo mv /boot/grub /boot/grub_backup
$ sudo apt-get purge grub grub-pc grub-common

And, reinstalling Grub2:

Code:
$ sudo mkdir /boot/grub
$ sudo apt-get install grub-pc grub-common
$ sudo update-grub

Last edited: