EDIT:** It's working now! **Radeon 8500LE Won't run 3dmark2001. Why not?

mjolnir2k

Apr 25, 2001
Just picked up a Radeon 8500LE 64MB and installed it in my spare computer. I can't get it to run any 3dmark diagnosics. What's the deal?

Here's the spec:
Compaq Presario 5000US
950 Mhz Athlon
512 MB pc133 SDram
ATI Driver version 4.13.7191
Windows ME
Direct X 8.1

Here's the error message from 3dMark2001se

********************************************************************************************
3D Mark 2001 SE was not able to detect the minimum features in your 3D accelerator
Please ensure that you have your DirectX installation working properly and that you have the proper drivers installed
*********************************************************************************************
I have DX 8.1 installed and ATI drivers seem to be working fine.

What is causing this?

Thanks in advance.

Boogak

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000
Run dxdiag.exe and try out some of the built-in tests to make sure DirectX is working properly on your system.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I have seen all sort of problems like this, especially with ME. When was the last time you did a re-format and re-install ? I would go to Windows 2000 on a fresh install and format, before I would blame anything on the video card.

mjolnir2k

Apr 25, 2001
Yup, Decided to scrap ME (Should have done so a LOOOONG time ago) and am currently installing 2k pro.

We'll see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Good ! Last weekend, my son had a lan party here at home, and I built another PC (more than the 7 in my sig) just for the occasion, and in the process of the day I had to end up installing 2k on two different PC's that were unstable under 98SE, and after the 2k install, perfect the rest of the day. Star wars Jedi knight (or something like that) and Warcraft III.

Edit : One of the machines had a 8500 and one had a 9100, both have worked fine since, and both were screwed up big time before.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I am all about a clean reinstall now...my 56k connection was piss poor at 14.4 or less, once I did a total clean reinstall of XP pro I am getting in the 30k's (nothing like DSL/Cable I know but they are not offered here and the latest WISP wants to run the cable down the wall and then drill a hole straight through it from the OUTSIDE)....

The only problem I face now with doing that is somehow the selection box (the translucent box that highlights clicked links in iexplore) is now missing....:(

mjolnir2k

Apr 25, 2001
UPDATE:

Got everything installed and running like a top. Stock, this card was pulling 250/250 and we know that it can do better ;)

Used powerstrip to bump it up to 275/275 and it purrs like a kitten. Considering this computer is not really a gaming system, I figure I will leave it at that setting.

Funny how much fun it is playing around with new hardware (never used an ATI product before) even when that hardware is very outdated.