*edit* I bought a Sharp Aquos 46" 1080P display :)

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
I had originally purchased the 47" Westinghouse for $1800CDN from Best Buy. Today, the Sharp went on sale for $800 off and was $2200, so I decided to upgrade seeing as my Westinghouse was scheduled to arrive on Monday.

So...the Sharp set arrives Wednesday and I'm rather excited to set it up and try it out, both as an HDTV set and on the computer for some gaming (C&C 3 mostly for now).

The model number is LC46D62U. There's a thread in Hot Deals about this set; they apparently go for $1600 at Tiger Direct in the US. Canadian retailers are refusing to update their prices according to the updated $CDN values and are instead just pocketing the money. If it weren't $500+ to ship this set, I would have mail-ordered it just to spite them. :)

So...expect some information on Wednesday. I'd like to try to host a full review at some point, similar to what Keys and Apoppin did with the graphics cards. :beer:

MyLeftNut

Jul 22, 2007
Yeah, according to many owners at AVS forums you just need a DVI to HDMI adapter and it'll work fine at 1080P with your videocard output. I'm thinking of getting the 42" one. Lemme know how the colours and black levels are when you test yours out.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Considering how much you like praising 1080p TVs in every 30" monitor thread i've seen, this better be good ;)

Looking forward to the pics/review.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: MyLeftNut
Yeah, according to many owners at AVS forums you just need a DVI to HDMI adapter and it'll work fine at 1080P with your videocard output. I'm thinking of getting the 42" one. Lemme know how the colours and black levels are when you test yours out.
Thanks...it's arriving on Monday, I'll keep you posted.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: n7
Considering how much you like praising 1080p TVs in every 30" monitor thread i've seen, this better be good ;)

Looking forward to the pics/review.
:D

I was lucky to be able to convince my gf to let me hook up the computer to the set, let alone spending $1000+ on new graphics cards.

Hopefully everything will turn out. I hear these sets have some bugs/quality control issues. They also say that the black levels aren't very good (although they say that about most LCDs).

Sep 8, 2005
I have this TV but ran into some problems connecting my pc (Geforce 8800) using a converter DVI to HDMI and then back to DVI (another converter). I thought this would work ok but I'm not getting a signal at all. Is this not possible? A handshaking issue? I know it works using just DVI.

Anyone had any luck with DVI to HDMI conversion on Westinghouse LCDs?

TIA

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Awesome! I look forward to your mini-review.

I have been putting off getting a larger display for a while.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: djspe
I have this TV but ran into some problems connecting my pc (Geforce 8800) using a converter DVI to HDMI and then back to DVI (another converter). I thought this would work ok but I'm not getting a signal at all. Is this not possible? A handshaking issue? I know it works using just DVI.

Anyone had any luck with DVI to HDMI conversion on Westinghouse LCDs?

TIA
So the set has a DVI port? Are DVI and HDMI pin-compatible?

I know people have said that they used a VGA cable and it worked, but it's not as clear as DVI.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
I would just connect to it dual link DVI-to-DVI cable, leaving the HDMI slots empty for now.

47 inches is massive for a computer monitor. You'd have to sit at least 5-6 feet away.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Original post edited. The set will be a Sharp Aquos now. :D

RussianSensation: I talked to the guy at Best Buy and he says I need a DVI to HDMI cable. Hopefully it will work; HDMI creeps me out a little.

MyLeftNut

Jul 22, 2007
I heard the D62 sharps don't officially support 1920x1080 from a PC input although it will work if you force it through software. I was looking at the 42" version and backed off cuz of that problem.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
I heard the D62 sharps don't officially support 1920x1080 from a PC input although it will work if you force it through software. I was looking at the 42" version and backed off cuz of that problem.
I read on AVSforum that it works great on the PC; 1:1 pixel mapping with no overscan at 1080P. :confused:

What screen did you get instead?

I'm worried about the banding issues; I don't want to exchange it as it's so big and I live in an apartment.

jto168

Mar 26, 2006

I have the LC-42D62U 42" Sharp Aquos, and I have not experienced any problems with 1920 x 1080(i or p) resolution.

I have it connected to my PC (Nvidia 7600GT) via DVI-HDMI cable, and currently the resolution is 1920 x 1080 (1080p) mode. The TV is set to display the video mode in Dot by Dot (pixel by pixel) and there are no problems at 1080p resolution.

Unfortunately the Sharp does not have a DVI or VGA input, but this isn't a major setback as it does have two HDMI inputs.

jto168

Mar 26, 2006
Originally posted by: SickBeast
I had originally purchased the 47" Westinghouse for $1800CDN from Best Buy. Today, the Sharp went on sale for $800 off and was $2200, so I decided to upgrade seeing as my Westinghouse was scheduled to arrive on Monday.

So...the Sharp set arrives Wednesday and I'm rather excited to set it up and try it out, both as an HDTV set and on the computer for some gaming (C&C 3 mostly for now).

The model number is LC46D62U. There's a thread in Hot Deals about this set; they apparently go for $1600 at Tiger Direct in the US. Canadian retailers are refusing to update their prices according to the updated $CDN values and are instead just pocketing the money. If it weren't $500+ to ship this set, I would have mail-ordered it just to spite them. :)

So...expect some information on Wednesday. I'd like to try to host a full review at some point, similar to what Keys and Apoppin did with the graphics cards. :beer:

Not to scare you, but there have been reported cases of banding with the 46" D62 series. It may have been resolved with the later/newer batches of the 46D62U, but I found that many people experience banding issues with that model. Sharp also recognized this problem and were taking back sets to correct the problem.

The D92 series also experiences this problem, again with the 46" sets being affected.

Definitely keep an eye on your TV set and watch for any vertical or horizontal gray/white lines that may appear, and take it up with BestBuy immediately.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
I just read that 42" screens and the like will be coming down in price pretty hard at the end of this year, after having went up for 10-20% the past few months. 42" screens from B-brands should be going for as cheap as 700$. Gonna hold of buying one for now, I'll see what I can get during the holidays, not for my PC, but for the TV though. If I put up such a big screen I'd be in the back of the room or I'd be to close to it :p

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: jto168

I have the LC-42D62U 42" Sharp Aquos, and I have not experienced any problems with 1920 x 1080(i or p) resolution.

I have it connected to my PC (Nvidia 7600GT) via DVI-HDMI cable, and currently the resolution is 1920 x 1080 (1080p) mode. The TV is set to display the video mode in Dot by Dot (pixel by pixel) and there are no problems at 1080p resolution.

Unfortunately the Sharp does not have a DVI or VGA input, but this isn't a major setback as it does have two HDMI inputs.
Have you experienced the banding issues?

You can even see the banding on the CNET review videos...it looks like faint pink stripes running horizontally across a 3" portion of the center of the screen. They said there were green stripes on either side of the 3" pink 'band', and that it was noticeable on panoramic scenes where the camera slowly panned across a landscape.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000

Not to scare you, but there have been reported cases of banding with the 46" D62 series. It may have been resolved with the later/newer batches of the 46D62U, but I found that many people experience banding issues with that model. Sharp also recognized this problem and were taking back sets to correct the problem.

The D92 series also experiences this problem, again with the 46" sets being affected.

Definitely keep an eye on your TV set and watch for any vertical or horizontal gray/white lines that may appear, and take it up with BestBuy immediately.
Yeah I read about the issues. I was actually tempted to spend the $300 more to get the Samsung 46". The thing is, this screen is supposed to have a better picture than the Samsung if you can get one without the banding. Apparently all sets made after October of last year don't suffer from the issue. I'm hoping that Sharp has resolved it and the ones on the shelf now are fine. I'm pretty sure it came out in April of 2006.

undeclared

Oct 24, 2005
My experience with the latest (2007 models) of the sharp vs the samsung

Sharp: Better picture, sharper
Samsung: The picture was so much nicer looking, im not sure if it was glossy or what.. It wasn't a sharper picture. It was much nicer looking than the sharp.

I choose the samsung hands down because of that.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: xtwells
My experience with the latest (2007 models) of the sharp vs the samsung

Sharp: Better picture, sharper
Samsung: The picture was so much nicer looking, im not sure if it was glossy or what.. It wasn't a sharper picture. It was much nicer looking than the sharp.

I choose the samsung hands down because of that.
:confused:

What's the difference between a 'better picture' and a 'nicer looking picture'?

I couldn't tell much difference between the two in the store. The Sharp screen seemed to have more vibrant color and perhaps more brightness. The samsung had an even and nice picture with a slick reflective glossy coating on the screen. Perhaps that's what you're referring to...

jto168

Mar 26, 2006

You can even see the banding on the CNET review videos...it looks like faint pink stripes running horizontally across a 3" portion of the center of the screen. They said there were green stripes on either side of the 3" pink 'band', and that it was noticeable on panoramic scenes where the camera slowly panned across a landscape.

No, I do not have any banding issues with the 42" D62U (knock on wood).

From personal experience, I know 3 people with the 42" version, without any banding issues, and 2 people with the 46" version. Both persons with the 46" version had banding issues.

They were purchased around January/February of this year, but I do not know the manufacturing date. Both of them have since been returned to Sharp and they received new sets thereafter.

jto168

Mar 26, 2006
:confused:

What's the difference between a 'better picture' and a 'nicer looking picture'?

I couldn't tell much difference between the two in the store. The Sharp screen seemed to have more vibrant color and perhaps more brightness. The samsung had an even and nice picture with a slick reflective glossy coating on the screen. Perhaps that's what you're referring to...

The Samsung probably appeared to look better because of the finish of the actual panel itself; the glossy finish tends to warm up the picture a lot more.

This is the thing to be weary of, the differences in picture quality, perceived or otherwise, between panels in-store.

Most, if not all LCD/Plasma TVs are not properly calibrated in-store. The TVs will not be displaying its true colours, black levels, contrast levels, and viewing angles because they are not properly calibrated, and the viewing angles are not suited for evaluating the picture quality.

I also found that some stores seem to favour certain brands over others, perhaps due to overstock or supplier influence. Some TVs were somewhat calibrated as oppossed to others which were still running in torch mode.

The best way to evaluate a HDTV is to visit a speciality or A/V hifi store that specializes in the brands that you are interested in. They will have rooms set up with typical viewing conditions, allowing you to truly take in the panel's picture quality.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000

No, I do not have any banding issues with the 42" D62U (knock on wood).

From personal experience, I know 3 people with the 42" version, without any banding issues, and 2 people with the 46" version. Both persons with the 46" version had banding issues.

They were purchased around January/February of this year, but I do not know the manufacturing date. Both of them have since been returned to Sharp and they received new sets thereafter.
Thanks for the info.

The issue apparently exists/existed on the 42, 46, and larger models.

If you watch the video for the review of the screen I'm getting, you can actually see the pink banding during one of the scenes. It looks subtle enough, but I will definately return mine if it has the issue, and I'll probably exchange it for the Samsung just to avoid more hassle (unless they'll let me test a set in-store at BB prior to delivery).

Have you enjoyed your set? What are your thoughts on the picture quality? How are the features? Do you miss not having PIP? :beer:

jto168

Mar 26, 2006
Originally posted by: SickBeastThe issue apparently exists/existed on the 42, 46, and larger models.

If you watch the video for the review of the screen I'm getting, you can actually see the pink banding during one of the scenes. It looks subtle enough, but I will definately return mine if it has the issue, and I'll probably exchange it for the Samsung just to avoid more hassle (unless they'll let me test a set in-store at BB prior to delivery).

Have you enjoyed your set? What are your thoughts on the picture quality? How are the features? Do you miss not having PIP? :beer:

Yes, I've seen the banding on 46" models. I was with my friend who purchased the 46". When we took delivery and brought it home, we were surprised to see banding on his HD STB, PS3, and also his DVD player. We did not try the PC as his computer was not yet hooked up as a HTPC, but I think after seeing the banding issue on three different devices, we concluded that there was something wrong with the set.

You will enjoy the Samsung, their new panels are beautiful. In terms of price to performance, I think the Sharp beats the Samsung and Sony series. The Samsung is slightly pricier than the Sharp, while the Sony XBR or KVR series are somewhat overpriced, imo.

I'm loving my Sharp LC-42D62U :)
It's very feature rich, with an advanced calibration options if you ever decide to have it professionally calibrated and tuned. The picture quality is very good, and the quality of 1080p can be felt with the right material. I find that Pirates of the Caribbean on Blu Ray is the "reference" title for demostrating Blu Ray's abilities at 1080p.

For me, good PQ requires three things:

1) Vibrant and Crisp Colours
No bleeding of colours onto other objects, very distinct transition of colours across objects.

The Sharp truly excels here, with very vibrant colours across the palette. Planet Earth: The Series is an excellent reference title to demonstrate the panel's colour representation.

2) Strong Black Levels

Again, how well the black levels are represented will give you a better feel of the overall picture. Strong/good black levels will add depth to objects, and will the picture different levels. This is especially important with HD material as you will really see and feel the difference compared to non-HD material such as a non-upscaled DVD.

The Sharp has pretty good black level representation, much better than a comparable Toshiba 1080p panel that I was looking at before. It fell short of the Sony XBR series, but the difference was very marginal.

Pirates of the Caribbean and 300 are good titles to demonstrate the panel's black levels.

3) Good Backlighting and Contrast

Good backlighting and contrast will improve colour and black levels. The Sharp's (true) contrast ratio was quite good at the time of its release (1200:1) and the backlight is OPC capable, meaning it can adjust to the lighting of the room. Enthusiasts tend to turn off the OPC function, as it gives you a stronger degree of tuning; you can hit the stated 450 cd/m2 if you are inclined to do so.

I use it primarily as a computer monitor, so I am not missing the PIP function. I've yet to purchase a HD STB and subscribe to HD programming because the current offerings from my cable company is lacking at the moment. But for PS3, Blu Ray, PC gaming, PC videos (H264/X264 encoded material), it is amazing. Sometimes I wish it had a few more HDMI ports, and perhaps a DVI input as well.

Overall, I am quite happy with it, and I don't hesitate to recommend Sharp Aquos line whenever someone is in the market for a new TV.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
You will enjoy the Samsung, their new panels are beautiful.
You seem pretty convinced that my set will be defective. ;)

Thank-you very much for all of the info you've provided me with. It's always nice to have an end-user's perspective instead of some reviewer who may have been bribed.

It sounds like the set is great when non-defective.

IMO you should get yourself a satellite hookup. I'm on Star Choice (not sure if it's available in the US)...it only costs me $20/month and I get 90% of their HD lineup (14 channels or so...NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, PBS, CBC, TSN, and a few others). In my experience, satellite is cheaper, gives you more flexibility, and often better picture quality than cable (for example, I get all my non-HD channels in 480P).

I'm looking forward to the set and I'll post more details on Wednesday.