Edge is now the best browser!

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
If you put Edge on the back burner or in the trash and forgot about it, I highly suggest looking at it again after you update to Redstone. ;)

They made some really nice improvements, the greatest obviously being the extensions. I'm LOVING the translator! It's really awesome, and it works very seamlessly with Edge. Performance has improved as well, along with stability.

Also, Edge now has hardware acceleration for VP9, something which Chrome doesn't have yet. So if you have a Pascal GPU or RX480, you can watch VP9 encoded 4K footage without it hammering your CPU.. :cool:

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
If you put Edge on the back burner or in the trash and forgot about it, I highly suggest looking at it again after you update to Redstone. ;)

They made some really nice improvements, the greatest obviously being the extensions. I'm LOVING the translator! It's really awesome, and it works very seamlessly with Edge. Performance has improved as well, along with stability.

Also, Edge now has hardware acceleration for VP9, something which Chrome doesn't have yet. So if you have a Pascal GPU or RX480, you can watch VP9 encoded 4K footage without it hammering your CPU.. :cool:

I disagree Firefox is still the best browser!

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I don't know about best, but it is finally a pleasant experience to use on my Surface 3 with adblock. Soooo many ads are poorly optimized for Edge. The ads even sometimes caused my i7 desktop to bog down in Edge!

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
I don't know about best, but it is finally a pleasant experience to use on my Surface 3 with adblock. Soooo many ads are poorly optimized for Edge. The ads even sometimes caused my i7 desktop to bog down in Edge!

I been having Ad free Edge sense Windows 10 was released. Adguard for the win!

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
that's annoying, they require you to use your microsoft account to download a browser extension and it's tied to the windows store.. nope, I'll continue to use other browsers that don't require this.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
that's annoying, they require you to use your microsoft account to download a browser extension and it's tied to the windows store.. nope, I'll continue to use other browsers that don't require this.

Really?

That sucks.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000

Really?

That sucks.

True that it does, but you can sign-in to apps individually in case you do not want to sign into Windows as a whole with a MS account.

Just an FYI for everyone

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016

Oye... Same here!

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
I've tried it. Not bad, but far from the best. Still prefer Firefox.

You need an account to download from the MS store, no different than any other store, so not sure why people are upset at this.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I hate to say it, but there are some sites where FF (Cyberfox, that is) always gives me problem. Paypal for example. Even if I prefer FF/CF on all accounts, it becomes useless because IT NEEDS TO WORK eg. displaying websites correctly.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
I can't believe that FF is this popular. The browser comparisons I've seen usually tout FF as the slowest browser. Heck, they just recently added multi processes, a feature that Microsoft and Google have had in their browsers for years o_O

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I still prefer IE but FF is next in line. At times I use both with the windows side by side and when it comes to streaming videos from Amazon I use chrome. When I interact with my netgear router I use safari because it's the only one to display the GUI correctly. I look at edge every now and then and I did open it after updating to redstone but it made me yawn and close it.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I can't believe that FF is this popular. The browser comparisons I've seen usually tout FF as the slowest browser. Heck, they just recently added multi processes, a feature that Microsoft and Google have had in their browsers for years o_O

One feature that serves to tempt me back to Firefox (from Chrome) is the "open or save" option for downloads. In Chrome I have to remember to clear out my "I didn't really want to download and store most of this" folder on a regular basis. It's even more fun when my wife has been using my PC and there's a whole load of PDFs in there that I ought to check to see whether she still needs them.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

This.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005

You have to do the same with Google for Android and apps, Apple with iOS, and on and on. What's the difference?

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Finally using edge more often and it's just so much faster and the text rendering is better than anything else. My only complaint are a few small features Chrome has still but Edge doesn't -- right click "paste as plain text" and "open image in new tab."

Other than that, edge wins in every category for me.

coffeemonster

Apr 18, 2015
performance has always been 2nd to utility, options and customizability for me.
Can you set tabs on bottom or change where the close tab button is? Seems silly until you are opening and closing enough tabs in quick succession that it really slows you down. But what's really silly is having no option to choose at all.

Bardock

Mar 12, 2014
Never used edge, never will, firefox works great does everything i need and nothing I don't, and is easily customizable.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
You have to do the same with Google for Android and apps, Apple with iOS, and on and on. What's the difference?

I don't think it's OK needing the app store and an account for everything; I don't think android and iOS as good examples for windows PC, remember windows rt? that's the place I would expect stuff like this to happen.

I don't need an account for my firefox and chrome extensions;

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I just tried using edge to log into the forum and it was too stupid to work for me. Wouldn't log in with either lastpass or manually.

Edit: Now it allowed edge to log onto the site so here I am using edge.

Last edited:

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Others may be faster in browser tests but in real world usage I don't really notice the difference at all. Security wise, FF is definitely lacking some features but I am hoping that parity comes pretty soon.

AMDisTheBEST

Dec 17, 2015
Hell no, chrome is still the best browser. Fire fox comes in 2nd.

Main reason: endless list of features from web apps and extensions.

Internet explorer and its edge offspring sucks and like always, most people only use it because its the default browser of windows, the OS 99% of the consumers use. In short, its not the best but has the most market share because Microsoft is abusing windows' market dominance to ship these shitty browsers to consumers.

Last edited:

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Internet explorer and its edge offspring sucks and like always, most people only use it because its the default browser of windows, the OS 99% of the consumers use. In short, its not the best but has the most market share because Microsoft is abusing windows' market dominance to ship these shitty browsers to consumers.

WTH are you talking about? Chrome has the most marketshare.