Edge 1803 - changing search provider to google doesn't work?

May 19, 2011
12,629
654
126
#1
On a fresh installation (1607 clean install upgraded to 1803), when I attempt to set Google as the default search provider (load Google site, go into Edge's settings > search providers > click google, set as default), I just get the 'in progress' dotty animation going on forever.

Is anyone else seeing the same behaviour?
 

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
1,473
14
106
#2
people use edge?
 

RLGL

Golden Member
Jan 8, 2013
1,460
40
106
#3
not here
Google is default for searching from the address bar
 
May 19, 2011
12,629
654
126
#4
Admittedly a few attempts later on another day did the trick. One bit of MS advice suggested clearing out all Edge data (which didn't help), then I couldn't even get Google to come up as a 'discovered' search result despite my usual technique of loading the Google site then attempting to change the setting, then I thought of trying to add a different search engine, and while I was in the process of doing that, Google appeared in the list of search engine options again, I tried it and it worked.
 

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
14,482
32
106
#5
Seems like I ran into that once at work on a vm. Just closed and re-navigated to Google and it worked fine though. The whole system they use is ridiculous though, No doubt to keep people on Bing.

I can't imagine why someone might want to use a different web browser. /sarcasm
 

Similar threads



ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS