ECS 8800GT @ the egg -- my experience

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
Since the topic of 'Which 8800GT is right for me?' comes up a lot I'm going to document my experience with my 'passively cooled' 8800GT from ECS. I bought the card for $206 shipped AR.

First, the packaging. It's nothing special and the gorillas at UPS have a non-zero chance to destroy your card. I'm not the only one who got the card with the Accelero brackets having come loose during shipping. Fortunately the heatsink did not separate from the GPU and I was able to sweat the brackets back into place. If it does separate you'll see temperatures like 80C idle and 120 load! Definitely not a good way to go.

First pass: throw the card into the case, fire it up. No problems -- came up, got video, booted Linux. Unfortunately Ubuntu 7.10 didn't have drivers for the 8 series cards, so I go to sweat it w/o thermal monitoring while downloading and compiling the 169 series drivers.

Sitting idle for ~10 minutes with no active cooling (but with case cover off, case on its side) had the card heat up to mid to upper 50s. I decided not to do a rigorous load test. Heat sink felt hot (but not blisteringly so) to the touch.

Turbo modules installed, case cover still off, let's try this bad boy again. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE... etc. Leap for the power switch, empty trousers of feces, troubleshoot. Whew, I forgot to reattach the PCIe connector. Let's try that again, minus the heart attack.

Idle core temperature 30C. 30C. 30C. 30C. That can't be right. Touch the heatsink, it's ice cold. Break out the baby thermometer.... 27C on the heatsink. Ok, mmmmaybe.

Core is running at 650, memory at 1900, shaders at 1625. So much for the famed power miser auto-downclock. At least on Linux.

Time to fire up a game. 30 minutes of counterstrike later, ambient 34C GPU at 43. No problem, let's fire up 2 instances of Eve Online. Still 34/43.

Closed up the case, placed it right side up, repeat. Now I'm looking at about 3C higher across the board. At this point it's late, and I decided to work with case airflow and atitool load testing later.

Preliminary impressions: OMGWTFawesome.

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
Awesome to hear, the Accelero S1 cooler is amazing however, the ECS 8800GT can only be found for a decent price if you use a rebate and I'm not a big fan of rebates.

Glad to hear your experience has been satisfactory.

Doclife

Oct 7, 2007
ECS 8800GT 512MB, factory OCed, Accelero S1 with turbo fan module for $206 shipped is a great deal. It is equivalent to buying the 8800GT for $165, Accelero S1 + turbo fan module for $35 and assemble it yourself. Where can you buy a 8800GT 512MB, factory OCed for $165 ?

Anyway, I got my ECS 8800GT yesterday and installed in my system fanless. Idle temperature was 40C, and load was 52C in the TT Eclipse case (1 front 120mm fan, 1 back 120mm fan).

In the P150 case (2 front Nexus 92mm fan at 7V, 1 back 120mm fan at ~6v), idle temp is 51C and load temp is 68C (fanless card).

jdkick

Feb 8, 2006
Nice. I just received my Accelero S1 (Rev 2) in the email. Just waiting for the weekend. I'll be mounting on a BfG 7900GS OC for now, but intend on picking up an 8800GT/GTS at some point. I'm excited at the concept of lower temps and no noise. :)

Apr 17, 2003
Originally posted by: jdkick
Nice. I just received my Accelero S1 (Rev 2) in the email. Just waiting for the weekend. I'll be mounting on a BfG 7900GS OC for now, but intend on picking up an 8800GT/GTS at some point. I'm excited at the concept of lower temps and no noise. :)

kinda hard to get a cooler in an email ;)

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
I highly recommend the turbo module for the S1. It's silent, and makes a tremendous difference in temperatures. I moved mine to the top of the card, where 1/3 of the fan is blowing air directly though the heatsink to where the 120mm fan sucks it right out. I'm a bit worried about not having fans blowing directly on the memory heatsinks, but it makes a tremendous difference in temperatures. I figure having less hot air trapped near the card makes up for lack of airflow by the memory & mosfet heatsinks.

Would you believe 29C idle and 41C load playing Oblivion? CPU tcase idle is 22C/tjunction 35, to give you an idea of what the environment is like.

This card has made me a believer in Arctic Cooling solutions.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Those Accelero coolers are certainly impressive, but don't they eliminate the possibility of SLI with the standard cable? Not something I'm interested in, but worth noting for those looking for the GT/SLI as a cheaper alternative to high-end (GTX/Ultra/SLI).

Muzzy

Mar 22, 2001
Hee Hee, glad I was not the only that almost had a heart attack when my comp went BEEEEEEEEEEEP because I forgot to plug in the pcie power plug. My clips also came off, not sure if it's the ups man or ECS. Do install the fans, it's not loug at all. I got the Zerotherm BT90, the turbocool fans, and two 120 mm fans running, and my comp is quiet. The only problem I have with this card with the S1 cooler is that it block 2 of my SATA ports on my mobo (MSI Neo2-FR). I tried right angle SATA connector, no go, still won't clear. Other than that, love the cooler.

And oh yeah, there won't be any SLI with this combo. One, it take up almost two full slots. Two, the cooler prevents you to install the SLI connector.

bigpow

Platinum Member
Dec 10, 2000
Dude, congrats - I think that's the 8800GT today.

Could you do me a favor and measure how much taller that heatsink goes over the card itself?
I want to get it, but I'm on the fence since I'm afraid it wouldn't fit in my case.

Thx

JACKDRUID

Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: jdkick

lol as an attachment ? wonder why your antivirus software didn't pick it up ;)

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
1. The card still has an SLI connector -- you could put it into the 'lower' pcie slot and SLI it with a non-silent card. I think the SLI bridge would also fit between the blades of the heatsink, so you could SLI two of them with a bit of clipping and bending. Since I'd never bother with an SLI setup or nv chipset board I'll never know.

2. Yeah, it's a huge card. Blocks 3 out of 4 of my PCIe connectors on a DS3L. More worrysome, it sits over the heatsink of the SB. Not sure how much of a problem that is.

3. I'll measure the heatsink when I get home. My initial guestimate is 1.5 inches over the PCB. It fits great into an Antec 2650 BQE (predecessor to the 180/190?) with many inches to spare, but it was a scary tight fit with a standard Chenming (Antec 1040?) case.

the unknown

Dec 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Muzzy
Hee Hee, glad I was not the only that almost had a heart attack when my comp went BEEEEEEEEEEEP because I forgot to plug in the pcie power plug. My clips also came off, not sure if it's the ups man or ECS. Do install the fans, it's not loug at all. I got the Zerotherm BT90, the turbocool fans, and two 120 mm fans running, and my comp is quiet. The only problem I have with this card with the S1 cooler is that it block 2 of my SATA ports on my mobo (MSI Neo2-FR). I tried right angle SATA connector, no go, still won't clear. Other than that, love the cooler.

And oh yeah, there won't be any SLI with this combo. One, it take up almost two full slots. Two, the cooler prevents you to install the SLI connector.

Lol after installing my card I heard a BEEEEEEEEP too, but I still had video and it was booting fine. I was wondering what the hell was going on, until I noticed my keyboard had a cup sitting on it mashing a lot of the keys down lol.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Piuc2020
Awesome to hear, the Accelero S1 cooler is amazing however, the ECS 8800GT can only be found for a decent price if you use a rebate and I'm not a big fan of rebates.

It was even cheaper last week. I missed out on that deal due to some fence sitting on my behalf... by the time I decided to order one, was OOS at the lower price. The splinters were just injury on insult. :confused:

Doclife

Oct 7, 2007
Originally posted by: bigpow
Dude, congrats - I think that's the 8800GT today.

Could you do me a favor and measure how much taller that heatsink goes over the card itself?
I want to get it, but I'm on the fence since I'm afraid it wouldn't fit in my case.

Thx

The Accelero S1 heatsink extends roughly 1 7/8 inches over the top of the card itself.