Economy thread:11-13-07 Half Million dollar home neighborhoods fighting inner-city problems like gangs, drugs and theft

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: blackangst1
Dave? Why havent you answered? Are you going to start another thread to avoid this?

It's a yes or no question. Man up Dave, and not a troll.

I don't answer to paid shills.

Youre a trolling little girl. Enough said.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Dave? Why havent you answered? Are you going to start another thread to avoid this?

Perhaps your IP should be investigated for Pedophilia?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Perhaps your IP should be targeted for...something to keep you offline? Dont tempt me.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Perhaps your IP should be targeted for...something to keep you offline? Dont tempt me.

Door is always open while I still have a door to be open.

Come on down.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Maybe people live in houses that are too large for them? I think we should start downsizing houses.

The Governemnt does not include the Energy prices in the Inflation figures. This makes the state of the economy look better than it does.

NaughtyGeek

Golden Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: ElFenix
130,000 non government jobs added last month

i bet they're all mcjobs! damn repugs running the country into the ground!

From the article:

Job gains were logged for professional and business services, education and health care, leisure and hospitality, and for the government. Those employment increases more than offset jobs losses in manufacturing, construction and retail - casualties of the problems plaguing the housing market.

OK, so Henry who's worked a production line for the last 15 years lost his job to outsourcing to China earlier this year. With the new jobs created, Henry's now got a job opportunity as what, a bellhop for the CEO who outsourced his job in the first place? Or how about Fred who has been building houses for the last 15 years? What jobs were created for him? Forbes or any of you other nitwits can claim that the job losses are being offset all you like but people like Henry and Fred don't have the financial or social resources to be reeducated so they can provide business or professional services or be a teacher. What are they going to teach? How to be a line worker/carpenter in a society without those traits any more? Nope, it's leisure and hospitality for them if they don't want to suckle at the government's tit. You think a desk clerk at The Sheraton makes anything close to a skilled carpenter or factory worker?

But, let's not just focus on those who have lost their jobs. How about those families who didn't buy into the big housing bubble and bought a moderately priced home 8 to 10 years ago who are faced with the reality that they can either pay for heating oil and gas to get to work or they can pay their mortgage. Everyone wants to blame the increase in foreclosures on "the idiots who bought more house than they could afford." While that group constitutes part of the problem, astronomical rises in energy costs alone are exacerbating the problem and with winter approaching, it's only going to get worse.

Fact is, if the CEOs in this country continue to outsource our manufacturing base while continually raising their pay, there won't be anyone left who can afford to pay their salary. And what's likely to be worse is when people come to the stark realization that the only future for them in this country is in the service of those who exported their economy to China.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: NaughtyGeek
Originally posted by: ElFenix
130,000 non government jobs added last month

i bet they're all mcjobs! damn repugs running the country into the ground!

From the article:

Job gains were logged for professional and business services, education and health care, leisure and hospitality, and for the government. Those employment increases more than offset jobs losses in manufacturing, construction and retail - casualties of the problems plaguing the housing market.

OK, so Henry who's worked a production line for the last 15 years lost his job to outsourcing to China earlier this year. With the new jobs created, Henry's now got a job opportunity as what, a bellhop for the CEO who outsourced his job in the first place? Or how about Fred who has been building houses for the last 15 years? What jobs were created for him? Forbes or any of you other nitwits can claim that the job losses are being offset all you like but people like Henry and Fred don't have the financial or social resources to be reeducated so they can provide business or professional services or be a teacher. What are they going to teach? How to be a line worker/carpenter in a society without those traits any more? Nope, it's leisure and hospitality for them if they don't want to suckle at the government's tit. You think a desk clerk at The Sheraton makes anything close to a skilled carpenter or factory worker?

But, let's not just focus on those who have lost their jobs. How about those families who didn't buy into the big housing bubble and bought a moderately priced home 8 to 10 years ago who are faced with the reality that they can either pay for heating oil and gas to get to work or they can pay their mortgage. Everyone wants to blame the increase in foreclosures on "the idiots who bought more house than they could afford." While that group constitutes part of the problem, astronomical rises in energy costs alone are exacerbating the problem and with winter approaching, it's only going to get worse.

Fact is, if the CEOs in this country continue to outsource our manufacturing base while continually raising their pay, there won't be anyone left who can afford to pay their salary. And what's likely to be worse is when people come to the stark realization that the only future for them in this country is in the service of those who exported their economy to China.

Nice rant and all, but what does that have to do with what you just quoted? Jobs lost due to the "casualties of the problems plaguing the housing market" have nothing to do with outsourcing.....

NaughtyGeek

Golden Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: JD50
Nice rant and all, but what does that have to do with what you just quoted? Jobs lost due to the "casualties of the problems plaguing the housing market" have nothing to do with outsourcing.....

Well, it's an economy thread and not everything I wrote was pertaining to the quoted passage. My first paragraph was pertaining to the quoted passage and ElFenix's insinuation that the McJobs argument holds no weight based on the article he/she linked. The article attempts to say that the economy is rebounding after the housing bubble hit with the addition of these jobs. Quite a few people here would go right along with that contention. However, just because we're adding jobs doesn't mean we're adding jobs to circumvent the economic problem as a whole. The housing collapse is a small part of why the economy is tanking and thus the reason for the rest of my diatribe.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

Well, it's an economy thread and not everything I wrote was pertaining to the quoted passage. My first paragraph was pertaining to the quoted passage and ElFenix's insinuation that the McJobs argument holds no weight based on the article he/she linked. The article attempts to say that the economy is rebounding after the housing bubble hit with the addition of these jobs. Quite a few people here would go right along with that contention. However, just because we're adding jobs doesn't mean we're adding jobs to circumvent the economic problem as a whole. The housing collapse is a small part of why the economy is tanking and thus the reason for the rest of my diatribe.

Ok, gotcha. I thought that you were just addressing that quote.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Read some statistics about how many global or foreign companies has outsourced to the USA, thus providing Americans with jobs.

Then get back and rant.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://ezinearticles.com/?Insourcing:-Millions-of-High-Paying-Jobs-Replace-Those-That-Cannot-Be-Saved&id=491536">In a study by the Organization for International Investment, we learn that 6.4 million U.S. jobs, were provided by foreign companies, in recent years, all of these insourced. Insourced jobs pay well above the national average with virtually every state enjoying a plus as a result of jobs coming from abroad.

According to Pennsylvania Governor, Ed Rendell, for example, 400,000 Pennsylvanians are employed by foreign companies. In 2006, foreigners invested approximately $500 billion more in the U.S. than America did in foreign nations.

The 2003 tax cuts reduced the cost of capital for business. The incentives have been a plus for businesses and workers, leading to many of these top insourced jobs.</a>

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.enterblog.com/200410250656.html">For the past 15 years, corporations have moved jobs to the United States at a faster rate than jobs have left, for an 82 percent increase in insourced jobs compared to a 23 percent increase in outsourced jobs.

Insourced jobs pay 16.5 percent more than the average domestic job, and one-third of them are in the manufacturing sector. These include plants that assemble German and Japanese automobiles and produce pharmaceuticals.</a>

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ofii.org/insourcing-stats.htm">U.S. subsidiaries of companies headquartered abroad support an annual payroll of $335.9 billion ? with average compensation per worker of $66,042, which is 32 percent higher than compensation at all U.S. companies.

U.S. subsidiaries share of American employment represented 25.6% of the American chemicals industry, 25.3% in the U.S. motor vehicles industry, and 24% of the U.S. non-metallic mineral products industry.</a>

Outsourcing is only intimidating if not looked at with INsourcing. How about a non-biased look sometime?

Oct 30, 2004

Outsourcing is only intimidating if not looked at with INsourcing. How about a non-biased look sometime?

Is the "insourcing" real? Are foreign companies moving production from their own countries to the U.S. for the purpose of exporting those goods back to their home countries? Or does the alleged "insourcing" take the form of foreign companies having purchased American companies (ie--a LOSS of American ownership of assets)? Is the insourcing merely ownership changes?

After all, with our nearly $1 trillion annual trade deficit, the balance of trade principle dictates that those dollars have to return to the U.S. to purchase something, and they aren't going to buy American labor; instead they're buying assets (aka, real wealth).

Why would any foreign company want to manufacture goods and services using expensive American labor for the purpose of selling those goods and services in other countries? Why would they want to operate under American tax, labor, and environmental laws? It doesn't make any logical sense. How many Chinese companies are manufacturing goods in the U.S. for export back to China? How many Indian companies are producing goods and services in the U.S. for export back to India?

Here are links to studies put out by the Economic Policy Institute debunking the insourcing myth. The first three are part of a series:

Insourcing is Not Creating Jobs in the U.S. Economy
http://www.epinet.org/content....res_snapshots_20060405

'Insourcing' myths: Jobs and insourcing
http://www.epinet.org/content....res_snapshots_04062004

Insourced investments lead to imbalanced trade
http://www.epinet.org/content....res_snapshots_04072004

The Hidden Costs of Insourcing: Higher Trade Deficits and Job Losses for U.S. Workers
http://www.epinet.org/content.cfm?id=2773

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
youre not actually doubting that insourcing is a real thing...are you? I had to have misunderstood you.

I never said insourced jobs > or = that outsourced.

NaughtyGeek

Golden Member
May 3, 2005
I never said insourced jobs > or = that outsourced.

Was that not what you were going for here?

If not, that's sure how it came across. Maybe insourcing is slowing the rate of decay, though whippersnappers links would seem to indicate otherwise, it doesn't remove the problem. Try selling insourcing to all the steel workers in Pittsburgh. If feeling that successful companies who became successful on the backs of Americans in America should continue to manufacture/produce in America is biased, don't look for anything non-biased from me any time soon. Any company wanting to expand their profit base by taking advantage of lower labor rates in Mexico, Canada, China or where freaking ever need to relocate their business there as well as their ownership.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken

In that case why don't you what people did back in the old days and go find an extra job?

'Waaahhh. I'm living paycheck to paycheck. I can barely afford my internet connection to troll ATP&N.'

Extra job doing what? If someone's earning $30,000/year, say, a near minimum wage job, the proceeds of which will be taxed at that person's highest marginal tax rate, probably isn't worth the time and effort. Now, if the guy could find extra work earning money at the rate he earns it at his day job, it might be worthwhile.

It's easy to say "get a second job", but you also need to consider the person's physical fitness, the strain his current job places on him and his family, the huge negative value of the inconvenience the job would create, and the reduced performance that the second job would cause to the first job.

Given infinite amounts of time and energy, people could work several jobs. However, we live in the real world where people only have so much physical energy and there are only 24 hours in a day and seven days in a week.

and those that have the will and desire will find a way to adapt....those that don't perish....that is the way it has always been and that is the way it will always be.

It's called survival of the fittest.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Wheezer

In that case why don't you what people did back in the old days and go find an extra job?

'Waaahhh. I'm living paycheck to paycheck. I can barely afford my internet connection to troll ATP&N.'

Extra job doing what? If someone's earning $30,000/year, say, a near minimum wage job, the proceeds of which will be taxed at that person's highest marginal tax rate, probably isn't worth the time and effort. Now, if the guy could find extra work earning money at the rate he earns it at his day job, it might be worthwhile.

It's easy to say "get a second job", but you also need to consider the person's physical fitness, the strain his current job places on him and his family, the huge negative value of the inconvenience the job would create, and the reduced performance that the second job would cause to the first job.

Given infinite amounts of time and energy, people could work several jobs. However, we live in the real world where people only have so much physical energy and there are only 24 hours in a day and seven days in a week.

and those that have the will and desire will find a way to adapt....those that don't perish....that is the way it has always been and that is the way it will always be.

Pretty much. All this whining about outsourcing is diversion. Im not sure what some people think...we'll have 100% employment? If you look at the history of unemployment, it's always been roughly between 4-8% even when outsourcing never was. People that WANT to work, will. Those that want a handout, wont. (I'm not talking about those that CANT work either).

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Really? Death to hard working Americans and those that can work and can't find work?

Where is this in the Constitution?

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007

Really? Death to hard working Americans and those that can work and can't find work?

Where is this in the Constitution?

Where in the Constitution does it talk about free handouts those on your side always seem to want off the back of other hard working Americans?