Ecoboost F150 as only vehicle

Sep 7, 2009
Historically I've had 2 or 3 vehicles - a weekend sports car, a daily driver, and a small truck. I've almost always cycled through a different sporty car/dd every few years, but they've changed my state taxes to make this very cost prohibitive (rather than pay yearly tax you pay a huge upfront tax)

Between the tax thing and a growing family I want to downsize. I'm not enjoying the manual transmission sports cars like I used to, and I don't have time to maintain multiple vehicles.

I want something 4 doors, that will last a LONG time, and that is easy to get repaired. Semi decent mpg would be nice. I don't tow but need something with a small bed.

I'm leaning towards an ecoboost f150.

Thoughts?

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
Makes an amazing DD. Many of my workmates have them (one apparently just got a 2014 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 LTZ, haven't seen it yet though). Most are like you. They have families, so they need a "car". But they also want it to last a long time, and be able to do utilitarian work. For my workmates it is the comfortable cruiser. Most of the wives commute in smaller vehicles (Focus/Elantra/Sonata/Optima/Malibu seem to be the popular 2013+ cars I see around when Mrs. comes to visit). The truck because the mileage absorber, even with crappier gas mileage. Their crew cabs outdo all but the largest sedans (think Taurus) and there is just a solidity about them. It's surprising how useful the ground clearance capabilities for a truck can be.

I have a 2014 Fiesta HB currently as my truck met an early demise, but having owned it and a civic, I will be going back to a truck. I miss the utility and the solidness. I'm hoping with the 2015's coming out that I can snag a 2013/2014 F-150 King Ranch Crew Cab 4x4 ecoboost used for 25-35% off purchase price.

satyajitmenon

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2008
Since you don't need to tow, but need a small bed, I was going to suggest something like a Tacoma/Frontier V6.

But a quick search reveals the EcoBoost manages almost the same gas mileage as them.

So besides a higher initial purchase price, you may just be better off with the F150.

As long as you don't have to worry about small parking spaces on your regular routes, the F150 will do just fine. I used to drive my Titan to work everyday. Wasn't an issue cos there was plenty of large parking spots wherever I went down in FL.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Makes an amazing DD. Many of my workmates have them (one apparently just got a 2014 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 LTZ, haven't seen it yet though). Most are like you. They have families, so they need a "car". But they also want it to last a long time, and be able to do utilitarian work. For my workmates it is the comfortable cruiser. Most of the wives commute in smaller vehicles (Focus/Elantra/Sonata/Optima/Malibu seem to be the popular 2013+ cars I see around when Mrs. comes to visit). The truck because the mileage absorber, even with crappier gas mileage. Their crew cabs outdo all but the largest sedans (think Taurus) and there is just a solidity about them. It's surprising how useful the ground clearance capabilities for a truck can be.

I have a 2014 Fiesta HB currently as my truck met an early demise, but having owned it and a civic, I will be going back to a truck. I miss the utility and the solidness. I'm hoping with the 2015's coming out that I can snag a 2013/2014 F-150 King Ranch Crew Cab 4x4 ecoboost used for 25-35% off purchase price.

I sure would hope that a $50,000 truck is more solid then a $18,000 car.

yottabit

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2008
Honestly I would probably just get the 5.0 F150 if you're not towing. I think it's a 1 MPG highway difference. But I've driven a 5.0 F150 quite a bit and averaged ~20 MPG highway mileage. Love the sound of that motor too, it does feel quite sporty for a truck

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
I sure would hope that a $50,000 truck is more solid then a $18,000 car.

My 2007 Ranger XL with the 4 cylinder was far more well put together than any of the aforementioned cars.

You're quoting price so I'm guessing you're using it as some kind of metric of quality. At different price points, different things matter. Here's some examples.

Prius C gets 50/53mpg. And it costs the same or less than a Focus HB or an Elantra GT. But the interior quality is CRAP! The dashboard seems like playschool plastic. You money goes towards the Hybrid system.

Subaru in general, as they have an amazing AWD system and drive train. Again, however, interior quality fades greatly. My 2004 Expedition has a better radio system than a top of the line 2007 STI. And that's sad. The 2014 Outbacks I checked out are downright spartan compared to anything else in the price range. Seriously we're still using dials? Where's the 7" configurable LCD screen in the dash to tell me speed/oil pressure/wheel pressure/coolant temps ect. A 40K vehicle should have this standard.

At 30K for a truck you're paying for a big frame, engine, and what not. And lots of sheet metal. At 50K you're getting that truck with all the amenities of a 335xi and then some. High end trucks really aren't that expensive when you put it into perspective.

JCH13

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2010
I think that you should get a car and a utility trailer for when you need a truck bed.

I know I wouldn't want to drive around a truck of any sort unless I had to.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Historically I've had 2 or 3 vehicles - a weekend sports car, a daily driver, and a small truck. I've almost always cycled through a different sporty car/dd every few years, but they've changed my state taxes to make this very cost prohibitive (rather than pay yearly tax you pay a huge upfront tax)

Between the tax thing and a growing family I want to downsize. I'm not enjoying the manual transmission sports cars like I used to, and I don't have time to maintain multiple vehicles.

I want something 4 doors, that will last a LONG time, and that is easy to get repaired. Semi decent mpg would be nice. I don't tow but need something with a small bed.

I'm leaning towards an ecoboost f150.

Thoughts?

Why do you need a small bed? Keep your daily driver and get a tow hitch for it:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1720-l...-12-inch-five-lug-wheels-and-tires-94564.html

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000

What year sedans are we talking about here, even the latest gen f150 (or any truck for that matter) has but utilitarian interior made out fisher price plastic. How is that even a contest?

2013-ford-f-150-interior.jpg

trs14_pg_008_int_enl.jpg

No idea what "solidity" you're talking about, but I'd never buy a vehicle that comes with bare sheet metal in the wheel wells and frame. That shit will rust instantly.

$20 says you're in the south

Last edited:

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
What year sedans are we talking about here, even the latest gen f150 (or any truck for that matter) has but utilitarian interior made out fisher price plastic. How is that even a contest?

2013-ford-f-150-interior.jpg

trs14_pg_008_int_enl.jpg

Lol what. They both have dashes made from plastic and aluminum, and the F-150 XLT and up don't have fisher price plastic in the slightest. It's very solid and makes no noise. Now honestly have you been in both vehicles? Might want to watch how its answered, seeing as my supervisor has a 2014 Taurus Limited and one of my engineering partners has a 2013 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost, I can tell you I'm in them weekly.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
yes, over at priuschat lots of people talk about unapproved mods for the prius...a trailer hitch...

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Honestly I would probably just get the 5.0 F150 if you're not towing. I think it's a 1 MPG highway difference. But I've driven a 5.0 F150 quite a bit and averaged ~20 MPG highway mileage. Love the sound of that motor too, it does feel quite sporty for a truck

I've got the 5.0 F-150. If you aren't towing much, then it probably is the motor to get. That said, it tows my 8000# trailer even with the 3.31 gears just fine enough. The ecoboost i=was $850 more when I looked at them. Given my trailer, and looking back, I would have gotten the ecoboost... but I really don't have too much regret over that. I get 19-21 real world HWY and average about 17 mixed. The ecoboost probably does a little better around town, but for $850 more you aren't talking a big enough difference that saves you any gas. Shit, I'd probably suggest the 3.7 V6 if he isn't towing anything.

I've been pretty happy with the F-150 overall. I ordered my 2012 with the "long" bed as the standard 5.5 bed just seemed too small on the super crew. I've had zero issues with the truck other than the passenger door being opened like a tin can by a pintle hitch that fell off a truck I was following at 55 MPH... Dealer seemed to fix it as good as new.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Lol what. They both have dashes made from plastic and aluminum, and the F-150 XLT and up don't have fisher price plastic in the slightest. It's very solid and makes no noise. Now honestly have you been in both vehicles? Might want to watch how its answered, seeing as my supervisor has a 2014 Taurus Limited and one of my engineering partners has a 2013 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost, I can tell you I'm in them weekly.

Taurus like virtually all other sedans use vinyl over foam dash (soft and squishy), f150 IP is hard plastic across all models. Trucks are simply spec'd cheaper as the bottom range is meant to be disposable and they most certainly don't retool for xlt or whatever 40k version they make. There's a reason why trucks are the highest margin segment...

Both of my parents work for Ford and I've driven both the cars.

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
I think that you should get a car and a utility trailer for when you need a truck bed.

I know I wouldn't want to drive around a truck of any sort unless I had to.

I would tend to agree except for one problem: Many sedans have no towing capacity now.

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
BTW halik, where's my 20$. I can't get much closer to Canada than where I live.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
BTW halik, where's my 20$. I can't get much closer to Canada than where I live.

South transplant? There's a weird reality distortion field going in the south about the utility of a truck as a daily driver vehicle.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Why a ecoboost? The standard V6 makes plenty of power and since you don't tow would be less maintaince and potential issues.

For what it's worth, my Audi has the same towing capacity as the V6 f150

What Audi is that?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Have they announced what the MPG is on the new aluminum ones that are like 700 pounds lighter?

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
I would tend to agree except for one problem: Many sedans have no towing capacity now.

There is a bigger problem than that. In many cases you need room for the trailer which will take up more room than just getting a truck * if you vehicle count stays the same.

In many planned neighborhoods/communities these days and even in certain municipalities you are not allowed to store a trailer long term on your property.

In my town, you are allowed, but it has to be behind dwelling set back - in other words it can't be stored forward of the face of the main dwelling. On top of that we have a fairly tame HOA, but one rule is no long term parking of trailers/RV's/boats anywhere on the property.

Sep 7, 2009
Why do you need a small bed? Keep your daily driver and get a tow hitch for it:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1720-l...-12-inch-five-lug-wheels-and-tires-94564.html

I need to be able to easily carry 1/2ton. Sometimes it's on the spot and while away from home. I don't want to have to chase down a home depot or uhaul and rent a trailer when I need to haul some cargo. I deal with rentals and other outdoor stuff and occasionally need to carry crap I don't want in my car. My DD is a cts-v, the only way to do is a hitch is drill holes in the trunk etc. Not doing that.

I really don't want to get into the common ATG debate about whether or not a I need a truck. Like I said, I have a truck, I know I need one. It's already frustrating when I'm in my DD and wish I was in my truck.

I'm not hauling plywood or sheetrock, 5.5' bed is fine.

Why a ecoboost? The standard V6 makes plenty of power and since you don't tow would be less maintaince and potential issues.

As far as I've heard the 3.7 only gets 1-2 mpg better at a 25% expense to power. Also historically ford only lets you get the small engine in stripped down trucks. And any time I've ever gone with a smaller engine in any vehicle I've regretted it. I live in a fairly high traffic area and need to be able to pull out in traffic and pass people on the highway.

So between the 5.0 and the ecoboost, I just like the concept of a twin turbo v6. I read all of the info about the ecoboost way back when they first came out and was impressed. Just seems like an efficient motor. I'm not really against the 5.0, just seems like they're the same price-wise and ecoboost is cool from a tech perspective.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
07 s8, good for 2500kg gtw

Can't find that spec but your number is still below the 6700 V6 towing capacity of the Crewcab F150. The short base model V6 has a 5500 tow capacity.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
I need to be able to easily carry 1/2ton. Sometimes it's on the spot and while away from home. I don't want to have to chase down a home depot or uhaul and rent a trailer when I need to haul some cargo. I deal with rentals and other outdoor stuff and occasionally need to carry crap I don't want in my car. My DD is a cts-v, the only way to do is a hitch is drill holes in the trunk etc. Not doing that.

I really don't want to get into the common ATG debate about whether or not a I need a truck. Like I said, I have a truck, I know I need one. It's already frustrating when I'm in my DD and wish I was in my truck.

I'm not hauling plywood or sheetrock, 5.5' bed is fine.

As far as I've heard the 3.7 only gets 1-2 mpg better at a 25% expense to power. Also historically ford only lets you get the small engine in stripped down trucks. And any time I've ever gone with a smaller engine in any vehicle I've regretted it. I live in a fairly high traffic area and need to be able to pull out in traffic and pass people on the highway.

So between the 5.0 and the ecoboost, I just like the concept of a twin turbo v6. I read all of the info about the ecoboost way back when they first came out and was impressed. Just seems like an efficient motor. I'm not really against the 5.0, just seems like they're the same price-wise and ecoboost is cool from a tech perspective.

I would go for the 5.0 then. The turbo V6 does not get as good mileage as many thought, they spool the turbos up to much esp in the city driving. If you drive it softly or on the highway maybe.

Also test drive one if you have not. The newer body style drives/parks like a FULL size truck. I drove one when my Titan was getting body work done and it was harder to park and drive in smaller lots compared to my dads older Chevy truck and my titan. Good power, 5.0, and I liked the interior setup, but just drove/parked like a REALLY FULL size truck.