Question ECC Support on ASRock B550M Steel Legend with 3000 series CPU

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Just throwing this out there on the Internet. I used MemTest86 (no+) and can confirm the program reports ECC Enabled. Also, when you look at the details on the RAM, it reports 72bit width and 64bit data width for each DIMM. I did not see an option in the UEFI to enable or disable, but it looks like it's both enabled and working. I tried on a R5 3600 first and upgraded to a R7 3700X; no difference in reporting. Going to setup a parity checking file system and wanted to make sure bits aren't getting flipped whilst the parity checking happens. Also didn't want to spend a ton of money on server grade hardware. I'm running 2x16GB, KSM26ED8/16ME from the QVL for my motherboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: nosurprises

kschendel

Aug 1, 2018
I have no idea about that board, but I know that some of the B450's and maybe X470's enabled ECC but didn't actually do the error correction. You might want to try forcing an error somehow before concluding that it works.

I'd love to hear that it works. It's crazy that Intel linked ECC to Xeon.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
I have no idea about that board, but I know that some of the B450's and maybe X470's enabled ECC but didn't actually do the error correction. You might want to try forcing an error somehow before concluding that it works.

I'd love to hear that it works. It's crazy that Intel linked ECC to Xeon.

I'm trying to find a good way to force an error for testing with software. I need to check hardware support in MemTest86 and run the inject ECC errors test if the hardware is supported. Unfortunately only the paid version of MemTest86 can do the inject errors test. There are some bootable Linux things one can do to test as well; still researching it.

I did check Win10 Pro is aware by running "wmic memorychip get datawidth, totalwidth". It shows total width of 72. Another command you can run in Win10 Pro is "wmic memphysical get memoryerrorcorrection". My system reports 6, so the system should correct 1-bit errors and report them.

Response/descriptions:
Value Meaning 0 (0x0) Reserved
1 (0x1) Other
2 (0x2) Unknown
3 (0x3) None
4 (0x4) Parity
5 (0x5) Single-bit ECC
6 (0x6) Multi-bit ECC
7 (0x7) CRC

Also this from HWiNFO v7.04 for a separate software confirmation.
Capture.JPG

Last edited: