----eBay Warning, or Shakedown?-----

thatsright

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
Hi Everyone. I just sent an invoice to a buyer of mine, and on the Invoice page I noticed this eBay warning:

"Never pay for your item with an instant cash transfer service such as MoneyGram or Western Union. These services are like sending cash to a stranger - they are an extremely unsafe way to pay. "

I have never heard of Western Union payments being unsafe, as long as you know who your sending $$ too, just the same as with PayPal. I dunno, but this seems like a shakedown of eBay users to ONLY use PayPal to send instant payment.

Yeah, it's Saturday morning and I DO have too much free time now ;-)

Bekker

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2000
I cannot remember the details, but seems like there were many horror stories re scams involving Western Union pymts. Maybe a Google search would find some.

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
Originally posted by: thatsright
I have never heard of Western Union payments being unsafe, as long as you know who your sending $$ too, just the same as with PayPal. I dunno, but this seems like a shakedown of eBay users to ONLY use PayPal to send instant payment.

They are probably fine if you know the person you are sending it to personally, like a friend or relative. However, if you are sending it to a stranger that might screw you out of the deal, you have no recourse. I guess Ebay is implying there is some protection on paypal if the other person backs out on their deal?