Ebay scammer - how to bust this guy before deal goes down?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
well?!

I am betting on the cops being to slow to do anything about it. I really hope this one goes through and they bust a cocaine house, prostitution ring and a illegal alien ring all at the same time :D

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Out of curiosity, lets pretend the deal looked completely legit and you shipped him the computer only to find out that a stolen paypal account or CC was used would you just be screwed out of a $2K computer? If so, is there some type of insurance you can get through paypal to help protect yourself?

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Darwin333
Out of curiosity, lets pretend the deal looked completely legit and you shipped him the computer only to find out that a stolen paypal account or CC was used would you just be screwed out of a $2K computer? If so, is there some type of insurance you can get through paypal to help protect yourself?</end quote></div>

If you sent him the 2k computer, yes you are ,afaik...I have never heard of successful stories of getting money/goods back from being scammed like that.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
Out of curiosity, lets pretend the deal looked completely legit and you shipped him the computer only to find out that a stolen paypal account or CC was used would you just be screwed out of a $2K computer? If so, is there some type of insurance you can get through paypal to help protect yourself?</end quote></div>

If you sent him the 2k computer, yes you are ,afaik...I have never heard of successful stories of getting money/goods back from being scammed like that.

Man, thats just screwed up. So it is now a "buyer and seller beware" world. At least as a buyer I have some form of protection through my credit card companies.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Darwin333
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ViviTheMage

If you sent him the 2k computer, yes you are ,afaik...I have never heard of successful stories of getting money/goods back from being scammed like that.</end quote></div>

Man, thats just screwed up. So it is now a "buyer and seller beware" world. At least as a buyer I have some form of protection through my credit card companies.

that's no different than ANY transaction where you buy from another consumer. If you possess stolen goods you're SOL

jackace

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2004
He was talking about the seller being SOL because the crook got away with his computer and the person who's CC was used would get their money back. I'm not sure if the CC eats that refund to their customer or if you as the seller would have to return the money.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

Well, first off, I would NEVER ship a computer to an address other than the PayPal Confirmed Address. PayPal supposedly will cover me if I can prove that I did ship to the Confirmed Address, however, I've never had that happen.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Originally posted by: bamacre

Well, first off, I would NEVER ship a computer to an address other than the PayPal Confirmed Address. PayPal supposedly will cover me if I can prove that I did ship to the Confirmed Address, however, I've never had that happed.

that is different ... and AFAIK only paypal would offer that.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Update

Just talked to the Westminster PD again. There is a detective that is currently investigating the case. He was not in, but she did give me his name and extension, and said that I can call him on Monday.

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
if you want, i can drop of a box of bricks in front of his house

actually, i have a spare empty computer case somewhere.. fill that up with rocks?

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: AkumaX

actually, i have a spare empty computer case somewhere.. fill that up with rocks?

LOL. But seriously, I don't think anyone should do anything, and let the WMP do their work. I'll get some info hopefully Monday.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: AkumaX

need backup?

Enemy Spotted.
STORM THE FRONT< GO GO GO!

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
Affirmative.
Cover Me!

Taking fire need assistance!
You Take the Point (negative)
Team, fall back!

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
I was just thinking how cool it would be if it actually turned out that they caught the guy and shoved his ass in jail.

Let's hope it doesn't fail to deliver.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Skiddex
yea, im sick of upset road biker stories...

seriously... it's gotta be that spandex shit that's pushing testosterone from the croth to their heads.