Ebay scammer - how to bust this guy before deal goes down?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: bamacre
We are now up to victim #5, and a total attempted stolen amount of over $10,000.

I just got off the phone with the Westminster Police Department. They took down the address of the perp, and my info and are going to have someone call me back.</end quote></div>

ooo, its getting juicy! lets hope they get someone over there.

try to log his IP too :p, just to add to it.

PayPal will have his IP address.

Can I get it through the email he sent me?

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
We are now up to victim #5, and a total attempted stolen amount of over $10,000.

I just got off the phone with the Westminster Police Department. They took down the address of the perp, and my info and are going to have someone call me back.</end quote></div>

ooo, its getting juicy! lets hope they get someone over there.

try to log his IP too :p, just to add to it.</end quote></div>

PayPal will have his IP address.

Can I get it through the email he sent me?</end quote></div>

I am sure it is possible, I think it is in the headers. Then again, you are right that paypal will have his IP address for each time he logs into each of those stolen accounts.

Because he is still using his connection, they can most likely track that specific ip, if they act quick and contact his ISP...

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Gotcha. I think right now, for the moment at least, I am going to wait until I hear back from the Westminster PD before I do anything else.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Originally posted by: bamacre
Gotcha. I think right now, for the moment at least, I am going to wait until I hear back from the Westminster PD before I do anything else.

let us know how it goes, because last time I did what you were doing the PD couldn't do a thing, even though I had his address. I really hated that paypal didn't help out very much.

My cc company was the real winner though, got all funds back without an issue.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: So
I will update you guys as much as I can.

I don't have eight legs. ;)</end quote></div>

...yet.

:laugh:

True. It very well may be that I don't even hear anything to update you guys with.

They need a google maps LIVE! so we can watch the cops pull up to his house. ;)

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: So
I will update you guys as much as I can.

I don't have eight legs. ;)</end quote></div>

...yet.</end quote></div>

:laugh:

True. It very well may be that I don't even hear anything to update you guys with.

They need a google maps LIVE! so we can watch the cops pull up to his house. ;)

or maybe we can get lucky and see it on an episode of cops :thumbsup:

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Victim #2 just called me back (I had left him a message). I told him what happened, and that PayPal had already reversed the payment made under his account.

I advised him to contact PayPal to see if there was anything else he needed to do.

He was very appreciative of me contacting him, and letting him know what happened. He thanked me like 5 times. :D

But that makes it all worth the trouble.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Victim #2 just called me back (I had left him a message). I told him what happened, and that PayPal had already reversed the payment made under his account.

I advised him to contact PayPal to see if there was anything else he needed to do.

He was very appreciative of me contacting him, and letting him know what happened. He thanked me like 5 times. :D

But that makes it all worth the trouble.
</end quote></div>

true, but it would be much more satisfying if the perp is cought this time.

everytime I see a guy get away with it, everytime!

me and a few other people got scammed on howardforums and we had loads of information on the perp, we all had contact with the police, but they did nothing about it.

I found the thread in the fraud portion ... we were going strong for a while, but everyone gave up pretty quick, seeing as the local cops didn't care.

linky read that if you want to see how we did.

edit : the bastard had FOUR other threads made about him, how others got scammed by him.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
I don't understand why the cops do nothing. I mean, this guy has attempted to steal over $10,000.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Westminster PD just called me back. She wanted to confirm that she understood exactly what was going on, and then she said she is going to have a detective call me back.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
I don't understand why the cops do nothing. I mean, this guy has attempted to steal over $10,000.

beyond me, I think they feel that if it is on the internet maybe it is less offensive as if they robbed a bank for 10k...

lower priority if you will.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Ben: hey, I just got back from FedEx. They will email me the tracking number, and I will give it to you as soon as I get it.
Shadovv Ngo: yeah
Shadovv Ngo: u got the money?
Shadovv Ngo: its good now
Ben: yeah, think so. Sorry about all the hassle with PayPal, they just suck.
Shadovv Ngo: they alway is
Shadovv Ngo: alway answer " we will try our's best "
Ben: i'm having trouble logging into my paypal account, but when I last checked, everything was cool
Shadovv Ngo: alright
Shadovv Ngo: the item
Shadovv Ngo: was shipped?
Ben: yeah
Shadovv Ngo: when will they email u?
Shadovv Ngo: aint they suppose to have it on the receipt?
Ben: soon i hope
Ben: hmm, lemme look
Ben: nope
Shadovv Ngo: hm weird
Ben: it is?
Shadovv Ngo: USPS and UPS have tracking number on receipt
Ben: i dont think i've ever seen them put it on the receipt.
Shadovv Ngo: oh
Shadovv Ngo: usually how long it took u
Ben: well this is fedex
Shadovv Ngo: to receive
Ben: sometimes like an hour, sometimes like 5 hours LOL
Shadovv Ngo: u got nice feedback paypal account 680+
Shadovv Ngo: so 100% its tomorrow coming?
Ben: yup, before 5pm she said
Shadovv Ngo: hm
Shadovv Ngo: they usually come at 12 so ill see 2mm
Ben: ok, well, she just told me that you'd get it tomorrow before 5pm
Shadovv Ngo: k

Fvckin' idiot. :D

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
haha wouldn't it be funny if the cops dressed up as fedex people and gave him an empty box and told him to get in we are mailing your ass off to jail.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
amazing that people still use ebay and paypal. The best thing you can do is to close your accounts.
:roll:

Significantly more bank/credit card fraud occurs outside of eBay/PayPal than on their site. I guess people should close their bank accounts and cancel their CCs too?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
hahahah this kid has to be thinking you are the dumbest fvckign idiot around.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Bam, I'm surprised you're still accepting more payments from this guy. I personally wouldn't want that much attention from PayPal/eBay's risk assessment departments, even if I wasn't the one perpetrating the crime.

funkymatt

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2005
if you still have him via IM, i think you can go to cmd prompt and type net use and it will tell you his IP.

IIRC.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Bam, I'm surprised you're still accepting more payments from this guy. I personally wouldn't want that much attention from PayPal/eBay's risk assessment departments, even if I wasn't the one perpetrating the crime.

Well, that is one reason why I told him that I shipped the computer to him, so he stops sending me payments.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
If anything this dumbass thinks he is getting a free kick-ass PC tomorrow. And he aint gettin' squat. :D

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: RaiderJ
Sad thing is he'll probably not get arrested or anything.

Probably so. But because of the large amounts of money involved, it is a possibility.