Ebay scammer - how to bust this guy before deal goes down?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Originally posted by: bamacre
Called PayPal. They are "investigating the matter."

I have also tracked down the cell phone number of the guy from the new, 2nd paymant. I first got his home number, and was leaving a message when I guess his wife picked up. She gave me his cell number, and I just left him a message. Apparently he lost his wallet yesterday.

I'm sure he'll be calling me back here shortly.

you should have badgered his wife with some questions! Like his full name, real address, etc. but in a way she wont suspect you know what is going on.

btw, I was about to get scammed by someone for some PS3's, using my friends paypal account and the such and paypal really didn't give two shit's about it, so I am not sure what they will do in your case...

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Probably jack sh*t. Took them long enough to put a hold on the second payment.

Pretty pathetic. Guy steals over $4000 from two people. CC fraud over interstate commerce. And he won't even get a slap on the wrist, most likely.

And regarding the victim #2, I do have his full info. His full name, address, and both home and cell numbers. He hasn't called me back yet though.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
I just sent him a IM saying I got the computer from storage, but checked my paypal account and saw the second payment was on hold. I told him he'd need to make the payment again, then I would ship.

So now he is in the process of getting a 3rd person's CC and sending me $2146 yet again. LOL

I wonder how many CC numbers he'll steal before PayPal sends the cops over to his house.

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001
Hehe, this thread is pretty interesting! It's sad that there is nothing you can have paypal do even when you know a crime is being committed. Maybe since they commit so many crimes themselves they don't want to be hasty.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: RaiderJ
Glad to see you're pursuing this!

I feel like I'm the only one. :D

Of course PayPal may be working on it, I really have no idea.

I just called and left a message with victim #3 in San Antonio, TX. :D

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: bamacre
Just sent me another $2000 using a 3rd victim's credit card.</end quote></div>

paypal wont do anything about it, they have a hard time even refunding this kind of stuff.

When this happened to me I tried calling the local police and they didn't do much, try the local police where he lives.

If you indeed did talk to his wife, maybe you can get the cops to go to his house and have a chat with him.

edit : have you called paypal at all?

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: bamacre
Just sent me another $2000 using a 3rd victim's credit card.</end quote></div>

paypal wont do anything about it, they have a hard time even refunding this kind of stuff.

When this happened to me I tried calling the local police and they didn't do much, try the local police where he lives.

If you indeed did talk to his wife, maybe you can get the cops to go to his house and have a chat with him.

edit : have you called paypal at all?

He didn't talk to the scammer, but the people being scammed.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Where in westmisnter is he trying to get this shipped to? that's like 20 mins from home...

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
I have talked left messages with Victims #2 and #3. Neither have called me back.

I have talked to PayPal. They are "investigating" this.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis
Where in westmisnter is he trying to get this shipped to? that's like 20 mins from home...

You may find that info on the google map link. ;)

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Call the local PD, don't email. You are absolutely positive a crime is being committed, so you should try to make sure they realize that. Freaking lamer stealing peoples CCs. How the hell did he get so many numbers anyway?

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis
Where in westmisnter is he trying to get this shipped to? that's like 20 mins from home...</end quote></div>

You may find that info on the google map link. ;)

Sorry, didn't see that post. I drive by that place to pick up coffee on weekends haha.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan
Call the local PD, don't email. You are absolutely positive a crime is being committed, so you should try to make sure they realize that. Freaking lamer stealing peoples CCs. How the hell did he get so many numbers anyway?

let alone there paypal accounts?

and people all over the US.. NY, GA?

He must work somewhere he can get easy access to this stuff...

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Ben: hey, I saw payment was on hold.
Ben: sorry about all this.
Ben: can you make payment again?
Shadovv Ngo: actually just wiat
Shadovv Ngo: 1 moment
Ben: ok
Shadovv Ngo: im gonna
Shadovv Ngo: call paypal
Ben: oh ok, cool
Shadovv Ngo: can u try
Shadovv Ngo: request
Shadovv Ngo: money
Shadovv Ngo: xujiayu@iivx.net
Ben: ok
Shadovv Ngo: paypal said
Shadovv Ngo: it would be better for seller to request money from the buyer
Ben: oh ok
Ben: it is not working. Says account not found.
Shadovv Ngo: xujiayu@iivx.net
Shadovv Ngo: (xujiayu@iivx.net) edit profile
Ben: haha, maybe i put it in wrong
Ben: nope, says account not found
Shadovv Ngo: lol im in my account overview right now
Ben: hmm, maybe because you are in the account. Try logging off, and I'll try again
Shadovv Ngo: k
Ben: hmm, not it is saying "User Error Code 5331"
Shadovv Ngo: how about u try log out and login
Ben: oh ok
Ben: still same error message
Shadovv Ngo: weird wait 5 minutes im on the phone w/ pp
Ben: ok, will do.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MrDudeMan
Call the local PD, don't email. You are absolutely positive a crime is being committed, so you should try to make sure they realize that. Freaking lamer stealing peoples CCs. How the hell did he get so many numbers anyway?</end quote></div>

let alone there paypal accounts?

and people all over the US.. NY, GA?

He must work somewhere he can get easy access to this stuff...

maybe he went phishing

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Well victim #2 supposedly lost his wallet yesterday, that's what his wife told me.

He is in GA, perp is in CA.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Marked this thread for further updates...very interesting to see if the police actually look into it, as this is a definite case of fraud.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Well victim #2 supposedly lost his wallet yesterday, that's what his wife told me.

He is in GA, perp is in CA.

maybe his sister is in CA and he actually lives in GA and that is how he got that CC?

This is confusing! haha