Ebay scammer - how to bust this guy before deal goes down?

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
I am 99% sure that I am being scammed by a guy in CA.

First off, I assume he got my email address (and thus yahoo IM sn) via my Ebay auction, where it is listed.

He actually sends me an IM via Yahoo, asking about overnight delivery for a $1340 system, then after I tell him it would $200+ for overnight delivery, he decides he now wants a $2000 computer.

At around 11pm my time, I told him I was going to bed, simply because I didn't want to talk to him anymore via my yahoo IM.

At this point to make a long story shorter, I have an Instant Payment with a NY Confirmed Address (which is a PO Box, which is against my shipping rules stated in my auction), and another email from him saying that they have the wrong address and wants me to ship to a CA address. I have not replied back yet.

He also wanted me to ship the system out "first thing" tomorrow morning, between 9-10am.

I assume he is thinking that I will ship the system to him and he can get it before the person finds out that there is a $2000+ charge on their CC which they didn't make.

Seeing as how today is the 28th, I also believe that he is probably moving out of his residence (end of the month), and probably won't be leaving a forwarding address, hehe.

This is a really expensive item, and I'd like to have this guy arrested. Being an Ebay'er full time, I get rather sick and tired of scammers, and for once I'd like to see one get his ass put in jail. This afterall isn't just an ordinary scam, this is criminal activity. And for once, the guy is in the USA, not another country.

If anyone can provide some tips, assistence, advice, help, I would LOVE to get it.

I am NOT posting any info here publically (addresses, names, etc.) as I don't think that would be allowed.

I will say that he wants me to ship the system to Westminster, CA 92683. Anyone live there?

Update #1
Well, something happened. I checked my PayPal account, and there is now a hold on that transaction. I do not know whats going on now.

Update #2
I have contacted the detectives of the Westminster, CA police department via email, forwarding the Yahoo IM Log and pdf's of the PayPal transaction and his email asking me to ship the system to a Westminster, CA address.

Update #3
The guy contacted me again this morning. Wants to re-send payment. Yet another person is going to have to deal with their CC company.

Update #4
Just sent me another payment. This time the confirmed address is in GA. I told him I'd go ahead and ship the system out. :D

Update #5
Contacted the owner of the PayPal account of the second payment, left him a message. Apparently he lost his wallet yesterday.

Update #6
We are now up to victim #5, and a total attempted stolen amount of over $10,000.
I just got off the phone with the Westminster Police Department. They took down the address of the perp, and my info and are going to have someone call me back.

Update #7
Further contact has been received from the Police department in the perp's area. There is a detective working on it, and I have been conversing and asnwering questions from someone assisting him in the case.

Update #8
Just talked to the Westminster PD again. There is a definitely a detective that is currently investigating the case. He was not in, but she did give me his name and extension, and said that I can call him on Monday.

Late Update #9
I never got the Westminster PD to call me back, and never got any other info on the situation. :(

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I think your assesement of the situation is right on!!
have you tried to contact e-bay or the credit crd company??

Good Luck!!

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
I think your assesement of the situation is right on!!
have you tried to contact e-bay or the credit crd company??

Good Luck!!

Nope. Because it is late at night, I have not called anyone. Also, because the payment was sent via PayPal, I have no idea what kind of CC he used, well I assume it was a CC, unless this person had a balance of $2000+ in their paypal account.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
See if you can contact the credit card company. Tell them that you are on one end of a possibly fraudulent transaction, and ask them to contact the owner of that card. If the guy says it's bogus, then send the cops.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Well, something happened. I checked my PayPal account, and there is now a hold on that transaction. I do not know whats going on now.

alimoalem

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2005
i'm with yoda, call the CC company you received the payment from. also call westminster's police dept. and give the name of the person on the CC/paypal account. i'm not too familiar with this stuff...this is just stuff i would've done in addition to asking for assitance (like you are doing now).

gl and hope u get the guy

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
My "business phone number" at PayPal is not in operation at this time of night. :(

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: bamacre

Sounds like someone noticed.

Give that address to paypal/ebay to see if they can do something with it. Also, keep posting/bumping this thread with updates to see if a local ATOTer can check the place out.

See if we can pull a p-p-p-powerbook here :)

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Again, guys, I have no idea the type of CC he used. The payment was made via PayPal, and that info is not given.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
I found an email address to the detectives of the Westminster, CA police department. The email is as follows...

"Hi. My name is XXX, and I live in Memphis, TN. I am an Ebay Power Seller, and am in the middle of what I suspect to be CC fraud by one of your residents.

Here is a link to the Ebay auction...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...=005&item=150135353051

I have also attached a copy of the Yahoo IM log, yahoo_im.txt.

I have also attached the PayPal Transaction page, paypal_trans1.pdf.

You will notice that the transaction has been held. At this point in time, I do not know who put the hold on the transaction.

I have also attached a pdf of the email he sent after he sent payment, email.pdf.

This is where you guys come into play.

The address he wanted me to send the computer to is...

XXXXX Deanann Pl
Westminster, CA 92683

Here is what I assume. He wanted me to ship the system out "first thing" tomorrow morning, between 9-10am.

I assume he is thinking that I will ship the system to him and he can get it before the person finds out that there is a $2000+ charge on their CC which they didn't make.

Seeing as how today is the 28th, I also believe that he is probably moving out of his residence (end of the month), and probably won't be leaving a forwarding address, hehe.

If you need to contact me, you can email me here. Or feel free to call me at 901-XXX-XXXX.

Needless to say, I am not shipping the computer. But if you guys need me to assist in busting this guy, I'll be happy to help in any way I can.

Thanks for your time."

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Refund the payment immediately.

Wait a week; file an unpaid item dispute through eBay.

Send a e-mail to eBay and PayPal about the stolen account.

That's all you can really do when a scammer hits you.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: jpeyton

That's all you can really do when a scammer hits you.

:D

Thanks, but yeah, I know all about that. I'm hoping I can get this guy busted though. ;)

sisq0kidd

Lifer
Apr 27, 2004
It's one of those Vietnamese scammers (no offense to Vietnamese people). There's lots of them nowadays.

I got scammed for $630 by one :(

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: bamacre
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jpeyton

That's all you can really do when a scammer hits you.</end quote></div>

:D

Thanks, but yeah, I know all about that. I'm hoping I can get this guy busted though. ;)

I guess I've become a little too uncaring when I get hit with suspicious activity. I just send my complimentary e-mail to eBay (and/or PayPal if applicable), relist the item and move on. Not enough hours in the day for me to chase bandits halfway across the country (or the world).

And unless your crime occurred in a sleepy hamlet (where the police are begging for action), they typically don't pay much attention to tips like yours. They need a larger burden of proof to investigate the case properly, and even more evidence to convict. A call from the person getting scammed would be enough to get the wheels rolling (or a call from the bank or credit card company).

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Well, seems to be getting taken care of. The perp is probably going to get away, but meh. He isn't getting a new computer, thats for damn sure.

PayPal asked for the address to which he wanted me to ship the system, and details of the email, and chat log.

jpeyton is pretty much right. The only person who wanted this guy put in jail is me, and maybe the actual holder of the CC, who I can't seem to find any info on.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

Show Recent Messages (F3)

You currently appear offline to Shadovv Ngo.

Shadovv Ngo: hey have paypal hold my payment
Shadovv Ngo: i put
Shadovv Ngo: wrong shipping address
BUZZ!!!
Ben: yeah, ok.
Shadovv Ngo: gonna
Shadovv Ngo: repay
Ben: ok
Shadovv Ngo: i dont know what happen lol
Shadovv Ngo: i put 14982 in shipping
Ben: lol
Shadovv Ngo: but it end up
Shadovv Ngo: in NY
Shadovv Ngo: not ca
Shadovv Ngo: can u wait for like 10-15 minutes. Im waiting for my sister home so she can pay.
Ben: sure
Shadovv Ngo: yeah
Ben: are you the one who put the hold on the original payment?
Shadovv Ngo: no
Ben: oh ok
Shadovv Ngo: called paypal
Ben: brb
Shadovv Ngo: no problem
Ben: ok i'm back. Mom called.
Shadovv Ngo:
Shadovv Ngo: man
Shadovv Ngo: you're rich
Shadovv Ngo: 20 computer
Shadovv Ngo: in your house
Ben: lol
Ben: i don't store them in my house though
Shadovv Ngo: oh?
Ben: no, I have a secure off-site place where i store them
Shadovv Ngo: its near where u live?
Ben: yeah
Shadovv Ngo: re-send a invoice
Ben: ok
Ben: its not giving me the option to.
Ben: but you can send payment to my address, bamacre@yahoo.com
Shadovv Ngo: that is was im gonna say
Shadovv Ngo: was what the total?
Shadovv Ngo: 2000$ what?
Ben: $2146
Shadovv Ngo: weird paypal won't let's me change the shipping address
Ben: thats odd
Shadovv Ngo: in shipping address
Shadovv Ngo: i tried to change into mine
Shadovv Ngo: how about i'll just leave the current shipping address. and ill just u give the real shipping address here?
Shadovv Ngo: or i'll just leave the note on message when i send
Ben: yeah thats cool
Shadovv Ngo: aight
Ben: sorry about that

LMAO

What a dumbass.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
what a d-bag!

he sounds ike a 14 year old....with someone else's paypal account.

call paypal and inform them of what's going on, maybe they can do something about it too.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Called PayPal. They are "investigating the matter."

I have also tracked down the cell phone number of the guy from the new, 2nd paymant. I first got his home number, and was leaving a message when I guess his wife picked up. She gave me his cell number, and I just left him a message. Apparently he lost his wallet yesterday.

I'm sure he'll be calling me back here shortly.