ebay scam?? help

wifi4lyfe

Apr 14, 2004
ok so I just sold a laptop on eBay. It was purchased with buy it now in about 4hrs from auction posting. User had 0 feedback...then I get this email:

Hello,
Compliment of the season to you.I am Mrs esther clint from NJ, but Presently i am leading a conference in NJ now. I saw your item below and i will like to buy this item for my son in University of NEW YORK he study Computer science course in University of NEW YORK and he lives in new york . and also i will like you to tell me the total cost ok .pls ship item with ups express or ground or me to t . Moreover i would have prefer to send you a cheque but simply because i want you to ship the item first thing tomorrow morning, i will be sending you payment via PayPal,so make sure you get the package ready for tomorrow shipment ok?And kindly send me your paypal email address ,so i can make the payment right away.
Thanks.
esther clint benson

If I have the money in my paypal account BEFOREshipping, then I'm fine,right?

any suggestions?

thanks

Mike

mrrman

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: wifi4lyfe
so what should I do? how can I get my listing money back and relist??

thanks guys

if its a scam which it sounds like, Ebay should reimburse you

drifter106

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2004
ok, I consider the fact that I am ignorant in this case...that is why i am asking. First, I would not send them my email for it would serve no purpose. But I fail to see what would happen if the buyer had it. Its just an email address. No password. How could you get ripped off.

I have used paypal to a modest degree but hopefully I can learn something from this thread as to what I should and shouldn't do with it.

thanks for the reply.

There is a REMOTE chance that the buyer is as ignorant as I am and could be making a legitimate mistake by not following paypal mechanics.

wifi4lyfe

Apr 14, 2004
sent ebay an email, with thebuyer email copied. we'll see whathappens

already relisted the auction....

Majician

Jul 30, 2006
You would believe somone who is THAT CHALLENGED when it comes to typing out a message? NEVER SELL ANYTHING to people with 0 Feedback......NIGERIAN SCAM ARTISTS HAVE PLENTY OF CC'S TO MAKE UP NEW ACCOUNTS!!! Whenever selling something on ebay you should ALWAYS STIPULATE that youhave the right to deny or cancel bids with feedback of less than 5. (EVERY SINGLE PERSON I"VE SOLD TO USUALLY LESS THAN 5 HAS STIFFED ME!)

Majician

Jul 30, 2006
REPORT IT TO EBAY! They'll give you your money back......If they "bought it now" then they should pay BEFORE YOU SHIP, if they don't pay, file a "Non paying bidder" claim against them....filing a claim means that ebay will let you relist the item for free!

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Why is it that so many scammers continue to use the "compliments/greetings of the season" intro? Silly rabbits.