ebay question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanette1985

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2005
has anyone bought anything on ebay recently and run into this?

I've bought a bunch of small things in the last couple weeks - when paying on paypal, they add a section to your bill where you can add in a donation to some food bank. Nothing wrong with this, but I've never known them to do that before.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
^ Didn't notice anything like that when I was selling bunch of stuff on ebay.... later I received bills for all additional "hidden" fees they charge. My advice to you, DON'T EVER SELL ANYTHING FROM EBAY. You will make almost no profit.

cheez

Ksyder

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2006
^ Didn't notice anything like that when I was selling bunch of stuff on ebay.... later I received bills for all additional "hidden" fees they charge. My advice to you, DON'T EVER SELL ANYTHING FROM EBAY. You will make almost no profit.

cheez

Hidden fees? Are you talking about the seller fees? Those have always been there. There are 3 fees, insertion fee, final value fee, and paypal fee.

Not going to argue that it will eat into your profit considerably if you aren't careful. You have to factor those fees into your sale price.

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999

cheez

For me Ebay is a place to get something for stuff you're never going to use again. If you want to profit, sell international: priority shipping or better with tracking & insurance mandatory.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Hidden fees? Are you talking about the seller fees? Those have always been there. There are 3 fees, insertion fee, final value fee, and paypal fee.

Not going to argue that it will eat into your profit considerably if you aren't careful. You have to factor those fees into your sale price.
Well, hmm,, it might have been the paypal fee then? I didn't know they charge things too. It's the bill I receive at the end of each month. The bill statement can be found by going to ebay under my account for statements...

Anyways, they take out huge chunk of money at the end so you really don't get much profit after selling things.... I stopped doing this sh#t. Better off just throw stuff in the garbage instead of selling through ebay wuahahahahahahahahahahaha ^_^

cheez

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
IF you are an idiot the Fee's can hurt you.

I love selling on ebay. i clear out the junk i get and most times make a good profit..to buy more junk. sigh

I have an addiction to garage sales and auctions.

God Mode

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2005
Ebay sucks. Its mostly corporations using it as an outlet to sell more, used stuff people sell for close to new retail prices or cheap trinkets from China.

There is nothing unique. No bargain or anything interesting. I'd rather use Amazon for their superior customer service. Ebay and paypal has zero customer service.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Well, hmm,, it might have been the paypal fee then? I didn't know they charge things too. It's the bill I receive at the end of each month. The bill statement can be found by going to ebay under my account for statements...

Anyways, they take out huge chunk of money at the end so you really don't get much profit after selling things.... I stopped doing this sh#t. Better off just throw stuff in the garbage instead of selling through ebay wuahahahahahahahahahahaha ^_^

cheez

Why throw away. In order of what I do is sell on craigslist, donate to charity, or free section craigslist if its not a good donation. If that all fails then throw away.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Ebay sucks. Its mostly corporations using it as an outlet to sell more, used stuff people sell for close to new retail prices or cheap trinkets from China.

There is nothing unique. No bargain or anything interesting. I'd rather use Amazon for their superior customer service. Ebay and paypal has zero customer service.

this is the huge negitive on EBAY. to many stores and no customer service IF you are the seller. As a buyer you can scam and win all day long.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011

The last group of stuff I sold on eBay, I lost 26.6% in fees and such.... not really worth it any longer. eBay has, IMHO, a marketplace for eMerchants, not a place for Ma and Pa Kettle to sell some old collectable stuff or odd'n'ends found in the basement.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
has anyone bought anything on ebay recently and run into this?

I've bought a bunch of small things in the last couple weeks - when paying on paypal, they add a section to your bill where you can add in a donation to some food bank. Nothing wrong with this, but I've never known them to do that before.

Nope, glad to say that I haven't asked for donations. I just bought something last wee too.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I remember selling my MacBook pro for $1300 on there. Fee was like 120 for the sale and I don't remember any PayPal fees. Had to relist like 4 times because scammers kept winning the auctions. I should not have sold it. Had extra warranty too.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
10 years ago I would sell things on eBay quite a bit. After 1 person tried to scam me, and one idiot who thought I was trying to scam him, I said no more.

My wife uses it to buy her hair color, and that's about it.

That site has really gone downhill in my book. Apparently it still works fine for plenty of other people.

The last time I sold something on eBay, the charges were insane, so I am sure that today it has gotten even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.