eBay/PayPal policies if something like this happens...

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
I recently sold something on eBay. Not that it matters, but I made over 300 bucks on it.

Like always, I shipped out the item in less than 24 hours . It's been over a week though that the item has been sitting at the post office, waiting for pickup. I even sent a reminder to the buyer via eBay to go pick it up (in case they didn't get the notice), and it's still at the post office (according to Canada Post tracking).

What am I supposed to do if it gets sent back to me eventually? I mean in terms of eBay and PayPal. Do I send back the money? If so, do I just send back the difference (like, subtracting any eBay fees I may have incurred, and also not refunding the handling fees)?

I'm no thief, but I find it unfair to have to send money back at all and such after the sale has been made, especially considering I put in no returns. I almost feel like the buyer regretted their purchase and is doing this to get their money back.

Personally, once I buy something on eBay, I always stick to it, even if I regret it afterwards. A deal is a deal. :/

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Send money back minus shipping I would say but wait until the person contacts you to make sure they are still alive or want the money back.

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
Send money back minus shipping I would say but wait until the person contacts you to make sure they are still alive or want the money back.

Yup, full refund minus shipping. You can get the eBay fees back with a form that says you and the buyer canceled the transaction.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
If/once the buyer picks it up though, it's officially "final", right?

No. After the person decides to finally pick it up, he'll say you sent him a rock, file a dispute and walk away with your item AND your money.

:\

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Yup, full refund minus shipping. You can get the eBay fees back with a form that says you and the buyer canceled the transaction.

Yeah, if it gets sent back, youll have to fill out a form that says the buyer cancelled and you get the fees back

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Even if you have no return policy, Paypal will probably side with him to get his money back once its returned to you.

I've been selling on ebay for years, and buying too. Ebay favors buyers 95% of the time.

I've learned all the rules and how to avoid these type of things over some time, but I've been had a couple times early on.

Sep 7, 2009
No. After the person decides to finally pick it up, he'll say you sent him a rock, file a dispute and walk away with your item AND your money.

:\

Exactly.

You have NO protection by using paypal as a seller.

Another common one is filing a dispute with their bank over the charge... It can take months before paypal will 'silently' pull the money directly out of your linked bank account.

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
Even if you have no return policy, Paypal will probably side with him to get his money back once its returned to you.

True, I sell on eBay very seldom (like 2-3 times a year), and I still got burned by them, twice!