eBay No Listing Day on Feb.18.2005

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vegetation

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Originally posted by: hevnsnt
What is a good "replacement" ebay?

None. Amazon's is closest but its very model of being an e-tailer first prohibits them from ever being at the top. Yahoo has all but given up on the US auction market. Craigslist was a contender but ebay bought a 25% stake in them.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Personally, I'd be happy if they made one change.... kinda like a "going once, going twice, gone" type of thing that real auctions have...

If someone bids, that extends the auction by 1 minute.

But, about the "boycott"... How many sellers do you think are going to realize "HEY! LESS COMPETITION THAT DAY!" Common sense. Personally, if 3/4 of ebayers were boycotting that day, I'd actually post on that day, knowing I'd probably get more money for my stuff.

stso

Platinum Member
Nov 17, 2000
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Personally, I'd be happy if they made one change.... kinda like a "going once, going twice, gone" type of thing that real auctions have...

But, about the "boycott"... How many sellers do you think are going to realize "HEY! LESS COMPETITION THAT DAY!" Common sense. Personally, if 3/4 of ebayers were boycotting that day, I'd actually post on that day, knowing I'd probably get more money for my stuff.

Think about it. You make more money on that ONE day, but you lose more $$$ for the rest of the YEAR if ebay doesn't reconsider their new fee struction. With the boycutt sites and the petitions, ebay MIGHT reconsider it. The chance is slim, but it is not impossible.

Edit: Typo

hevnsnt

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
Originally posted by: stso
Originally posted by: DrPizza

Think about it. You make more money on that ONE day, but you lose more $$$ for the rest of the YEAR if ebay doesn't reconsider their new fee struction. With the boycutt sites and the petitions, ebay MIGHT reconsider it. The chance is slim, but it is not impossible.

Edit: Typo

No they wont.

ArmchairAthlete

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Crazymofo
Whats their reasoning for raising the rates?

Um, the almighty buck?

I wish there was another competitor with the traffic of ebay. I feel less inclined to use eBay now.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: Crazymofo
Whats their reasoning for raising the rates?

1. create intraweb auction site
2. sell public stock shares
3. get rich
4. buy out all competitors
5. raise rates
6. profit!!!!!!!
7. ignore complaints of Crazymofo's

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Just to double check.. it IS legal for a company to charge any rate they want for the services they provide, right?

Yeah. Don't like the fees, find some other place to ditch your crap.

BlamoHammer

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Rallispec
these things never work out -- becuase everyone who doesnt list something on the 18th is going to turn around and list it on the 19th. -- it is like those gas boycotts... never amount to anything.

if you dont like ebay's fee's, don't use ebay. Simple as that.

Attention: What you have just witnessed is common fvcking sense, a trait that is lacking in far too many people these days.

Wholeheartedly agreed Ralli. If you don't like something, don't use it. Don't think that the execs at eBay are going to give a flying fvck that a bunch of people decided not to list on the 18th, but instead waited until the 19th. This movement will not make any difference in their operations. The only way to get at them is to stop using the site completely. (which still wont make a difference because of the sheer numbers of people who will continue to auction their stuff)

stso

Platinum Member
Nov 17, 2000
Originally posted by: BlamoHammer
Originally posted by: Rallispec
these things never work out -- becuase everyone who doesnt list something on the 18th is going to turn around and list it on the 19th. -- it is like those gas boycotts... never amount to anything.

if you dont like ebay's fee's, don't use ebay. Simple as that.

Attention: What you have just witnessed is common fvcking sense, a trait that is lacking in far too many people these days.

Wholeheartedly agreed Ralli. If you don't like something, don't use it. Don't think that the execs at eBay are going to give a flying fvck that a bunch of people decided not to list on the 18th, but instead waited until the 19th. This movement will not make any difference in their operations. The only way to get at them is to stop using the site completely. (which still wont make a difference because of the sheer numbers of people who will continue to auction their stuff)

Below is a quote from a powerseller on ebay at PS board

you are wrong. Many sellers here are beginning to go elsewhere while keeping a presence here. As I said in another thread, this is simply a venue, nothing more, nothing less. I once thought like you, or as you pretend between vacations ;), but it is a sinking ship. Not today, next week or even next year, but it's going down, and I ain't the captain!

Hope you have a life jacket, you are acting like one of the crew

zerocool1

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
femaven.blogspot.com
Originally posted by: rh71
Originally posted by: toekramp
too bad they increased their fees by like 50% for the other 364 days of the year
this is like the great American gas-out day... nobody buys gas that day. But they'll need it eventually. But nobody NEEDS to eBay.

I'm weening myself off ebay and using FS/T more and more.