eBay issues - Seller used cheaper shipping method than what I paid for.

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Finalnight

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2003
Originally posted by: purbeast0
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Originally posted by: Finalnight
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Originally posted by: Finalnight
Leave neg or neutral, if anything I usually upgrade people's shipping for free because I don't trust the option they paid for.

WTF?!? Then WHY OFFER IT.

please go spread your lies elsewhere.

Look at my ebay and heatware feedback before you call me a liar.

I offer the cheap shipping option to get the bids, but end up with a good profit anyway, its a loss leader tactic.

You are extremely disrepectful and your comment was uncalled for.

It makes absolutely NO sense. If you were going to include a better shipping method at the same price it would be more inticing to do so...if you are only charging those that pick the upgrade you are screwing your customers.

What?

Finalnight's tactic-

$20 BIN, $3 ship looks more enticing than $20 BIN $5 ship, encourages people to buy (that's his theory anyway).

When prompted with checkout, buyer is presented with $3 first class or $5 priority. Seller bumps all first class postage to priority anyway.

If anything, I view it as price discrimination. As long as he's profiting he doesn't care. It's not necessarily "screwing the customer", merely maximizing the amount they are willing to pay for shipping.

i got the idea from his posts that he will charge say $2 for first class, and the buyer will pay $2 for first class, but he will actually pay $5 to ship it out priority.

CORRECT SIR!

Its called taking care of the customer and proactively avoiding problems.

remember: Always underpromise and overdeliver.

Its no different that ticket agents who see that a customer has long legs or is being polite, etc, and upgrading them for free. Its only pricing discrimation if I am basing upon race, religion, etc.

Many online retailers do this, I ususally get it with a faster than advertised service at Amazon, BN, buy.com, etc.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Faster than advertised is because they quote worst case scenarios...not that they upgrade your shipping method.

While giving a guaranteed free upgrade to all your low paying customers...those that paid for the service that others got free will be slighted. That is underpromising and underdelivering to them. Given you aren't dealing with any two customers realizing this you probably will never be discovered...the ethics behind the practice though aren't so good.

Not that it would happen but I guarantee you'd have pretty pissed off customers should they all find out that tactic.

Pricing discrimination doesn't have to be based on EOE terms, that's the most common form of it.

In your case you are rewarding the cheap or short on cash customer and penalizing the one that wants to ensure a speedy delivery and is willing to pay for that.

Zee

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: tylerdurdenm3
That's awesome you did all that.

I know you won't believe me, but I was actually a shipping manager for a couple years, and the only consistency in shipping is that there is none.

Sometimes priority is WAY cheaper than parcel post, most of the time it's the other way around.

here's what happened for the record.

Seller sold item, charged $12 flat rate for parcel post, posted flat rate clearly. Never meant to state it would be shipped priority. I simply forget to do the scroll down box correctly when listing it.
Sent it thinking I'm a great seller for shipping next day.
Get bombarded with angry people claiming I'm a scam artist. (apparently for at most 2-3 dollars)
Seller offers help and money back; apparently isn't good enough for everyone.

by the way, the buyer has contacted me and was very cool about everything. We have worked it out.
He took the high road. I'm just warning you all who issue negative feedback so lightly. It's never a good idea to be so careless.

thanks for your help though Alkemyst, I appreciate it.

I'm just glad it's all over. Oh, but we can't withdraw the transaction since I already shipped it ya know?

It'll all be fine. It's over.
Phew.

Garret

you're a cheap fuck who saw that he was going to lose $3 on the transaction so you took the low road and sent it by parcel/media mail.

Then you saw how you were being bashed for it and probably realized what a stupid fuck you were for trying to scrimp on $3 bucks by receiving a possible negative feedback.

So you attempt to counter the situation by going on the offensive and stating you forgot to "scroll down" on the shipping method.

You are just part of the general idiot population on ebay and you are fortunate in this case that the buyer was a nice guy.

crystal

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 1999
Originally posted by: Zee

I know you won't believe me, but I was actually a shipping manager for a couple years, and the only consistency in shipping is that there is none.

Sometimes priority is WAY cheaper than parcel post, most of the time it's the other way around.

Seller sold item, charged $12 flat rate for parcel post, posted flat rate clearly. Never meant to state it would be shipped priority. I simply forget to do the scroll down box correctly when listing it.
Get bombarded with angry people claiming I'm a scam artist. (apparently for at most 2-3 dollars)

by the way, the buyer has contacted me and was very cool about everything. We have worked it out.
He took the high road. I'm just warning you all who issue negative feedback so lightly. It's never a good idea to be so careless.

I'm just glad it's all over. Oh, but we can't withdraw the transaction since I already shipped it ya know?

Phew.

Garret

you're a cheap fuck who saw that he was going to lose $3 on the transaction so you took the low road and sent it by parcel/media mail.

Then you saw how you were being bashed for it and probably realized what a stupid fuck you were for trying to scrimp on $3 bucks by receiving a possible negative feedback.

So you attempt to counter the situation by going on the offensive and stating you forgot to "scroll down" on the shipping method.

You are just part of the general idiot population on ebay and you are fortunate in this case that the buyer was a nice guy.

What the crap. Still bring this thread up? And learn to read the whole thread before you flame him. It seems like he refunded some of the shipping cost to make peace with the OP. Make you look like an idiot.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: crystal
Originally posted by: Zee

Phew.

Garret

What the crap. Still bring this thread up? And learn to read the whole thread before you flame him. It seems like he refunded some of the shipping cost to make peace with the OP. Make you look like an idiot.

I don't think he needed that reply to do that.