eBay issues - Seller used cheaper shipping method than what I paid for.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs

You have said nothing to discredit anything I've said, and you've made several posts in this thread that make me wonder how well you even understand what happened here. Including one post about the COST of the shipping being reasonable even after I explained to you that the cost of the shipping is not the issue here. We DO know what really transpired, because the seller has been very open about it.

I've done just fine as a buyer on eBay, but I've never encountered an asshole like you yet. See, the problem with a lot of eBay sellers is summed up in your comment "both of you should stick to retail." So many eBay sellers run their eBay auctions as a business, but they don't hold themselves to the same standards to which they hold REAL businesses. This guy certainly didn't.

For many ebay is not a real business for one, and two for those that use it as a real business then don't add terms and conditions that were not presented. Also expecting same day or even 24 hour service should not be expected.

Also even big retailers reserve the right to not honor print errors which is what happened here.

The seller was more, far more than reasonable to credit money back...but nothing could have been done for a package already sent.

The big problem with ebay buyers that don't understand the system (and usually the same people expecting Nordstrom's service at a WalMart) is they are looking for a full-service experience from something not designed for that.

I have a good deal of experience with ebay as both buyer and private seller, as well as a power seller for a few years of high end network gear.

The huge problems are usually a buyer doesn't try to ask you the questions they should prior to sale and then all of a sudden begin questioning everything post sale. Even as far as asking for additional pictures of obscure things and explaination as to what 'some fine scratches not noticible) really means.

The most classic case (maybe you were the buyer) was selling a pager cover for $5 back 5 years ago +. At the time phone numbers were available and this guy would call and call for months eventually wanting a replacement because he accidentially washed it.

I end up donating low end items now or trashing them.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: silverpig
Think about it, the guy accidentally put in the wrong shipping info. Should he get a negative and be out $12 for it? Have you ever posted in the wrong thread here? Maybe clicked "yes" to a question you meant to click "no" to? How about putting in a typo for your username or password at a website? Would you think a 1 week vacation from AT would be warranted for a typo in a post?

None of your examples are contracts, and none of them are even close to analogous.

Furthermore, retailers reserve the right not to honor printing errors because they do not create the ads themselves, but rather contract with third party vendors to create the ads. Retailers do no honor printing errors because they are not the ones responsible for the printing errors. Not only that, but most retailers do honor mistakes they make with in-store pricing. I have had a couple occasions at Best Buy where in-store sale displays have been left up after the sale was officially over. Both times the store honored the prices on the displays even though the sale price was no longer officially valid.

The eBay page listed Priority Mail shipping. Therefore, the seller is contractually obligated to provide Priority Mail shipping. The page was created by the seller himself and not by a third party, therefore the seller is personally responsible for the error.

The right thing to do in this instance would have been to ship via Priority Mail and eat the additional cost. We are responsible for our own mistakes.

If I post in the wrong thread and get mocked for it, that's my own fault. If I answer "yes" to a question that I meant to answer "no" to and fail a test because of it, that's my own fault, I don't go blaming the person grading the test. If I type my systems password in wrong at work three times and get locked out of the system, that's my own fault, I don't go blaming the computer for not knowing what I meant to type, nor do I blame the security admin for setting up the system unreasonably.

ZV

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
ebay allows for mistakes to be handled.

The auction in question showed two different shipping methods ... one flat rate for $X and the other priority for $x ...this should have been handled via questioning the seller.

A seller on ebay is not a retailer. Also a retailer only has to honor their mistake if it's deemed part of a bait and switch. Otherwise you could have Joe Stockboy pricing $500 GPU's for $50 to stick it to the store.

I think people are creating rules and policies to ensure they screw people making honest mistakes.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: alkemyst
ebay allows for mistakes to be handled.

The auction in question showed two different shipping methods ... one flat rate for $X and the other priority for $x ...this should have been handled via questioning the seller.

I don't think it's reasonable to assume that the buyer will read through 100% of the description to notice the $15 reference that is buried in a large block of text, especially when the two dedicated places in the auction clearly list the shipping amount as $12 and the method as "Priority Mail". If the method said "See Description", then it would be reasonable to assume that the buyer should have noticed the discrepancy. However, as it stands, there's no reason why a buyer would look for a shipping cost listed in the description.

And even then, "flat rate" is not a shipping method. "Flat rate" doesn't say anything whatsoever about the method that will be used, it just notifies the buyer that the seller is not computing actual shipping cost and is instead using a standard, "flat" charge. There is only one shipping method mentioned, and that method is Priority Mail.

A seller on ebay is not a retailer. Also a retailer only has to honor their mistake if it's deemed part of a bait and switch. Otherwise you could have Joe Stockboy pricing $500 GPU's for $50 to stick it to the store.

"Required by law" and "right thing to do" are often different. There's also a difference between an error and a malicious act, which means your "Joe Stockboy" example is not a valid comparison. Most retailers will honor legitimate mistakes as long as those mistakes are "reasonable". That is, as long as a reasonable person could expect the erroneous price to be accurate, they will usually honor is if the mistake is theirs. For example, if they leave up a 10% off sign on memory cards, they will usually honor it. If someone puts a $50 tag on an item that sells otherwise for $500, they won't because any reasonable person knows that's an obvious mistake.

In this case, the mistake is not obvious.

I think people are creating rules and policies to ensure they screw people making honest mistakes.

Or we're simply looking at what we would do ourselves in the seller's position and judging him based on that.

If it had been me and I had made the same mistake as the seller, I would have simply shipped via Priority Mail and lived with the price difference. It's an old tradition, now out of style, called "personal accountability".

ZV

Finalnight

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2003
Leave neg or neutral, if anything I usually upgrade people's shipping for free because I don't trust the option they paid for.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Finalnight
Leave neg or neutral, if anything I usually upgrade people's shipping for free because I don't trust the option they paid for.

hah. I don't even give them the option. USPS priority with dc or UPS ground ONLY

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
"Required by law" and "right thing to do" are often different. There's also a difference between an error and a malicious act, which means your "Joe Stockboy" example is not a valid comparison. Most retailers will honor legitimate mistakes as long as those mistakes are "reasonable". That is, as long as a reasonable person could expect the erroneous price to be accurate, they will usually honor is if the mistake is theirs. For example, if they leave up a 10% off sign on memory cards, they will usually honor it. If someone puts a $50 tag on an item that sells otherwise for $500, they won't because any reasonable person knows that's an obvious mistake.

In this case, the mistake is not obvious.

It was to me, whenever I see an item title or picture that doesn't match the description I will contact the seller if I am serious on bidding.

In reality, you will have people insisting on getting that $500 for $50 and claiming they will sue over it.

Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Or we're simply looking at what we would do ourselves in the seller's position and judging him based on that.

If it had been me and I had made the same mistake as the seller, I would have simply shipped via Priority Mail and lived with the price difference. It's an old tradition, now out of style, called "personal accountability".

ZV

It's easy for people to say what they would do when they don't have any idea of the real situation. What this seller did was more than adequate. The package was already shipped via the method he thought he was paid. It was impossible for him at that time to wave his magic e-weiner and change the shipping method.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

WTF?!? Then WHY OFFER IT.

please go spread your lies elsewhere.

Finalnight

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2003

Look at my ebay and heatware feedback before you call me a liar.

I offer the cheap shipping option to get the bids, but end up with a good profit anyway, its a loss leader tactic.

You are extremely disrepectful and your comment was uncalled for.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
It's easy for people to say what they would do when they don't have any idea of the real situation. What this seller did was more than adequate. The package was already shipped via the method he thought he was paid. It was impossible for him at that time to wave his magic e-weiner and change the shipping method.

Assuming that the mistake wasn't known until after he had shipped (which seems unlikely given the seller's comments, which would indicate that he believed the phrase "flat rate" trumped the shipping method chosen in the drop-down), I would have refunded the full shipping charges. It really is just that simple.

ZV

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
I don't think there's much you can do...that's the corrupted side of eBay.

I remember one time that I bought an unactivated SIM card from this asshat wholesale guy off eBay. He had the guts to charge me some unreasonable amount of shipping, then tore open the SIM card package (the wrap and back cardboard), popped it out of that credit card mold, and dropped it in a plain white envelope and mailed it to me without a return address on a 37c stamp.

And when I tried to contact him and ask for explanation, no response. Gave him a neutral feedback and he retaliated with a negative. That bastard.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

I offer the cheap shipping option to get the bids, but end up with a good profit anyway, its a loss leader tactic.

It makes absolutely NO sense. If you were going to include a better shipping method at the same price it would be more inticing to do so...if you are only charging those that pick the upgrade you are screwing your customers.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

It makes absolutely NO sense. If you were going to include a better shipping method at the same price it would be more inticing to do so...if you are only charging those that pick the upgrade you are screwing your customers.

What?

Finalnight's tactic-

$20 BIN, $3 ship looks more enticing than $20 BIN $5 ship, encourages people to buy (that's his theory anyway).

When prompted with checkout, buyer is presented with $3 first class or $5 priority. Seller bumps all first class postage to priority anyway.

If anything, I view it as price discrimination. As long as he's profiting he doesn't care. It's not necessarily "screwing the customer", merely maximizing the amount they are willing to pay for shipping.

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001
If it was me and I verified he spent $13 to ship it to me I'd leave positive feedback saying the guy messed up shipping but apologized. He made a mistake, he's admitting to it and responding to your e-mails. IMO, getting some money back for shipping would be pointless, after all this is about the principal and not the money isn't it?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
the only thing i've learned from this thread is that alkemyst has to be using jenkam in his spare time.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis

What?

Finalnight's tactic-

$20 BIN, $3 ship looks more enticing than $20 BIN $5 ship, encourages people to buy (that's his theory anyway).

When prompted with checkout, buyer is presented with $3 first class or $5 priority. Seller bumps all first class postage to priority anyway.

If anything, I view it as price discrimination. As long as he's profiting he doesn't care. It's not necessarily "screwing the customer", merely maximizing the amount they are willing to pay for shipping.

i got the idea from his posts that he will charge say $2 for first class, and the buyer will pay $2 for first class, but he will actually pay $5 to ship it out priority.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: purbeast0

What?

Finalnight's tactic-

i got the idea from his posts that he will charge say $2 for first class, and the buyer will pay $2 for first class, but he will actually pay $5 to ship it out priority.

and how is that screwing the costumer?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: purbeast0

What?

Finalnight's tactic-

it's not. Finalnight never said he was screwing the customer. :confused:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

Halloween is over, but by this tactic some are paying for a 'freebie'.

In the business world that is pretty unethical to do.

Sort of like it's 2 for $1 or 1 for 50 cents, but if you buy just one they give you two anyway.

I believe that is illegal in many areas.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

Sort of like it's 2 for $1 or 1 for 50 cents, but if you buy just one they give you two anyway.

Disagree

I liken this to airlines

Priority mail customers are paying full fare guaranteed priority mail
First class customers are paying for first class mail, but receiving a complimentary upgrade. It's a nice bonus, but seller is under no obligation to upgrade and is merely doing so out of goodwill.

If the practice you outlined above were true, airlines wouldn't have complimentary upgrade fares

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
If the practice you outlined above were true, airlines wouldn't have complimentary upgrade fares

Do you always get the upgrade though? Didn't think so.

If everyone knew they could pay coach and fly 1st class there would be no 1st class sales.

People make wierd analogies here.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

How is this illegal? and please link to said law. in many places its illegal to make you buy 2 to get the sale price on the one item, but i have never seen what you post.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: waffleironhead

How is this illegal? and please link to said law. in many places its illegal to make you buy 2 to get the sale price on the one item, but i have never seen what you post.

What I posted was like what the one person above stated. They offer normal and higher priced shipping, but no matter if you pay for it or not you get the better shipping every time.

The laws on this are dependant on items and area and fall under pricing discrimination as well as pricing fraud.

It is not illegal everywhere just like sales on alcohol aren't or buy 1 get 1 free on it.