eBay: Handling damaged by shipping merchandise?

Namuna

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2000
Recently sold and sent off a camera I sold on eBay. It was tested to be correctly working before sending, I just got an email (not to mention a Square Trade email) that the buyer received the item and it's defective (the auto winder for the film cannister doesn't work)

They were very detailed about the item and what was wrong and they showed full attempt as far as calling support for the proper fix.

At this point I"m sure the item was damaged in shipping (UPS).

How does it work with putting in a claim with UPS? The item was shipped via UPS Ground and the value is a little less than $100 (I believe UPS covers for value up to $100 right?)...And the claim is handled by me (the seller) or the them (the buyers)?

Please help, I understand that the buyer isn't happy about receiving a bad item...But I sent a properly working item

Thanks!

MrYogi

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
Go to UPS and fill out some paper work. I think that is how it works. With USPS, the sender has to fill out the paper work

Namuna

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2000
Also, how does it work as far as putting in a Claim with UPS? Anyone have 1st hand experience?

Thanks much for the responses.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
do the serials match on the camera he has now? We ship high end network gear and many try to claim damaged/DOA goods and return a different serial numbered part.

UPS will usually not cover 'silent' damage (not the right term, I am having a mental block) and many times even if the box is clearly damaged claim insufficient packaging...esp for a private shipper.

FedEx is better but more expensive.

Good Luck

Namuna

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2000
Thanks for the info alkemyst.

The more I read on eBay's forums about such matters, the more I see that the consensus is give the guy the money back and take it up myself with UPS (supposedly since I'm the seller, I'm the one who entered into the 'contract' with the shipper, being UPS, about getting the package to the destination in 1 proper piece).

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
well you need to also talk to the shipping company and see what they need. Sometimes shipping the item back even if over night will now invalidate any claim on damage.

Your purchaser may have to cooperate, but shouldn't have to be the one to organize it all. While I wouldn't issue an immediate refund, I would should it prove to be unsalvagable/unclaimable. Only way I wouldn't (and haven't) is getting the item back and it's perfectly good and it was just an excuse to get their money back or it's blatantly obvious their was user damage and not shipping / existing damage.

With either case I offer to ship the item back if they want to pay shipping for it or to ship to a third party should they be able to resell it (I will even help with pictures that may be needed).

In no case do I ever give money back to liers or scammers or simply idiots.