Ebay and Shipping Charges

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Have you noticed how shipping charges have skyrocketed on ebay?

Well, I sell a little on ebay and have tried to hold my shipping costs down.

But the post office is making it impossible.

They have really jacked their rates. All in an effort to cover the pension.

Whats up with Delivery Confirmation being 65/75 cents? I think they only reason they get away with that scam is that PayPal requires it.

Its time for a REAL private mail service.

Kirby64

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2006
You do realize, about the DC cost, that it's not ebay. The entire USPS has raised DC prices. Priority is 65, first class is 75. It used to be only 50 for all, but they raised it. I was mad when I found out too :(

ryan256

Platinum Member
Jul 22, 2005
Yeah. I just bought an item from eBay a few days back. Normally a $30 item. Paid 1$ for the item, $14 shipping.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Originally posted by: Modeps
Shipping charges have ALWAYS been inflated on Ebay.

I know some sellers have inflated charges, but even for smaller items...10 dollars or more is actual shipping.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
If you pay for shipping via Paypal, delivery confirmation is a lot cheaper for some reason (18-25 cents or so)..

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
The other thing is there is no longer a huge difference in cost between parcel post and priority...especially with heavier items.

Also...i like how first class has 2 classes now ...letter and parcel.

thats there way of getting around shipping dvds cheaper at first class then media mail.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Delivery Confirmation for Priority Mail is free if you print your postage label through USPS.com

High shipping charges is a way to circumvent eBay fees. Savvy buyers take shipping into account when they bid, so it doesn't really matter.

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
I've been raising my shipping prices on my auctions but they are still in line with everyone else.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
i think it be more appropriate to blame the individual sellers for the high shipping fees instead of eBay as a whole. but yeah, high shipping fees are there, as well as low shipping and free shipping.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I always ship thorugh USPS when I make eBay sales. I used to go through UPS, but they cost even more. Maybe it'll be cheaper for them to run nuclear powered delivery trucks in 6 months and they won't have to pay for diesel anymore.

nonameo

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2006
Go with fedex for USPS packages that approach 10$ or more. They are MUCH cheaper, and usually at or less than 15$(even for HEAVY, 20+lb packages) for most stuff.

Any time I have something that weighs a ton, it goes Fedex. Couple of lbs. it goes Priority. Under 13 oz first class.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Originally posted by: FoBoT
fuel costs
up up up

The latest monster jump really had nothing to do with fuel costs....

its the cush pension they get that was underfunded.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Yeah its not just sellers trying to charge more for shipping, its ups, fedex, usps.
They have really been raising the prices lately.
Package this time last year cost me 9.00 to ship.
This year it was over 16.00

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Yeah, I ended up back at newegg for my recent purchase. At first, I thought their prices were a little to high but after I saw what the non-free shipping cost me at other retailers they didn't look so bad anymore.

It makes sense...fuel is going to put a dent in things. Although high shipping charges have always been a way for ebay sellers to avoid some of the fees.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
There's a way to get around this ... just buy from sellers that quote reasonable shipping costs. If no one buys from them they will get the message.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Originally posted by: dud
There's a way to get around this ... just buy from sellers that quote reasonable shipping costs. If no one buys from them they will get the message.

This is not about sellers who charge 30 dollars shipping for a dvd...its about the post office rates skyrocketing over the last couple of years.

I sold an item on ebay that I started at and sold for 99 cents. I thought 8.95 shipping was fair.

Actual shipping came to 10.77 with DC.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Kirby64
You do realize, about the DC cost, that it's not ebay. The entire USPS has raised DC prices. Priority is 65, first class is 75. It used to be only 50 for all, but they raised it. I was mad when I found out too :(

The OP's rant was all over the place.

DC is free really if you just do it online and ask them to scan it at the counter.

Like it or not the USA still has the cheapest and fastest mail service in the world. I can ship to Japan in 3-5 days something for $20 that costs my family in Japan a multiple of that to ship back to me in twice the time. I have shipped T shirts for under $10 to them.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: GoPackGo
The other thing is there is no longer a huge difference in cost between parcel post and priority...especially with heavier items.

Also...i like how first class has 2 classes now ...letter and parcel.

thats there way of getting around shipping dvds cheaper at first class then media mail.

Priority and Parcel have always been close, it's still a difference though and when people are shipping low profit items then it adds up. There is a lower weight limit on priority as well.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
fuel costs
up up up

It's not just the pension. They have AMAZINGLY low healthcare costs, even relative to other government employees. I think my plan (Blue Cross) costs about half as much for a postal employee (~$190/month for family vs. ~$90). Why they need healthcare for that low is beyond me.

I just shipped a couple items after supposedly charging actual cost for shipping. I was right for one of them, but the other was $3 higher than I expected after using the online calculator. It would have been cheaper to go with UPS, and I plan on doing that in the future -- at least I can get real tracking.

I always print labels at home so paying for DC is never something I do.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Originally posted by: AndrewR
fuel costs
up up up

It's not just the pension. They have AMAZINGLY low healthcare costs, even relative to other government employees. I think my plan (Blue Cross) costs about half as much for a postal employee (~$190/month for family vs. ~$90). Why they need healthcare for that low is beyond me.

I just shipped a couple items after supposedly charging actual cost for shipping. I was right for one of them, but the other was $3 higher than I expected after using the online calculator. It would have been cheaper to go with UPS, and I plan on doing that in the future -- at least I can get real tracking.

I always print labels at home so paying for DC is never something I do.

I am working towards shipping from home....

also..was it the usps.com calc? If so , why the heck was it off by so much?