• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Eating before early morning workout

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I've been hitting the gym pretty early, usually in by 630AM. I do 30 minutes of weight lifting and then 30 minutes of lower intensity cardio (bike, brisk walk). Is it a good idea to eat something before the gym or should I try and eat after? I'm trying to lose about 5 pounds that I put on during COVID. Seems like if I eat before and after I'm getting more calories than if I just wait until after, but does not eating beforehand affect my ability to build muscle?

Lexxisriennnl

Jun 4, 2021
I guess you should pay attention to your health and ability to train. For instance, light breakfast can be the way out. If you can skip the evening meal then it will be easier to have a full breakfast before the gym.
However, some people feel unable to eat in the morning. Just try several options. I advise you to eat before the gym but not a lot. In such a case, you'll have the strength to exercise but not feel tired.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Not eating before will have no affect on your ability to add muscle.
Yep, but at that time of day, most people's immediate energy stores are depleted, so burning fat starts to happen quicker.

OP, if you have to eat beforehand, avoid sugar.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Working out that early, unless you feel extremely low on energy, I would always do fasted. You have plenty of energy build up from the foods you ate the day prior and anyone saying that eating before a workout is required to keep your energy up is quite wrong. Plenty of studies now done regarding pre-workout meals and impact on metabolism and muscle gain and most show that it has very negligible impact. Have a good meal after your workout heavy on carbs and protein and you'll be good.

GrowlikePro

Jun 14, 2021
I've been hitting the gym pretty early, usually in by 630AM. I do 30 minutes of weight lifting and then 30 minutes of lower intensity cardio (bike, brisk walk). Is it a good idea to eat something before the gym or should I try and eat after? I'm trying to lose about 5 pounds that I put on during COVID. Seems like if I eat before and after I'm getting more calories than if I just wait until after, but does not eating beforehand affect my ability to build muscle?
I think pre workout meals such as oats and two bananas will cause no harm, for better guidance you can consult a professional trainer.

masterstroke

Jun 14, 2021
I prefer having a smoothie made with banana, berries, milk and yoghurt as my pre-workout meal. Sometimes I also take oatmeal with almond milk.

ASK THE COMMUNITY