Easy to sell free game promotion with video cards? factoring into decision

nine9s

May 24, 2010
I am thinking of getting a GTX 970 for my 1440 display.

Most cards come with a free game of three (The Crew, Far Cry 4 or Assassin Creed Unity.)

I already have Far Cry 4 and that is only one I would want.

Anyone here successfully sold one of these free promotional games?

If so, was it easy to sell the free game code? What site did you use - Craigslist/Ebay/Other?

How much can you get for them - I want to know so I can factor it into my purchase decision please?

nine9s

May 24, 2010
If you don't mind me asking, why not take The Crew or AC Unity?

I only played Assassin Creed and did not like it. Too linear for me (do this mission then this one etc.) I like more open world/sandbox games with electable missions - like Far Cry.

Also, I only play games about an hour a day so Far Cry 4 should last me over a month or two. If I can only get like $10, I will probably keep it. In that case, hopefully being on Uplay, I can redeem code and download/play game later. I have a 256GB SSD and do not want to add 40GB while playing Far Cry 4.

Last edited:

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Selling and buying game codes/coupons on eBay is easy. You might be able to sell them in the FS/FT forum here, but the mods seem to be cracking down on it.

Generally speaking, you could probably expect something in the $30-$40 for popular/AAA titles. FYI, I picked up a FC4 off another forum for $35.

chavo12345

Jun 7, 2011
Sold my Nvidia promo code recently on eBay for $40, getting about $35-36 after fees.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
back when I got my 9700 it came with Morrowind. Already had it.
Kept the copy in the box, passed it along when I sold it.

Nowadays with key codes and limited timelines, I just dont know.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
It's pretty easy on ebay. Although paypal has a really interesting policy regarding online game codes.

If the auction was paid with paypal balance, it doesn't even matter if the game codes are fake. Paypal will side with the seller 100% of the time and will not grant refunds (based on their terms of service on their website they say they do not provide buyer protection for digital purchases).

If the auction was paid by a credit card, paypal won't even investigate the claim, whether the buyer is lying about a nonworking code and used it anyway, or if the seller actually sold a fake code. They will automatically reimburse the buyer because credit cards always side with the buyer on this so they can't deny any claims.

Thus as a seller the best thing for you to do is to email the game code, and also mail them the game code afterwards. Thus you are selling a tangible product and the buyer (if they are attempting some shenanigans) would have to return the product to you first and won't bother usually.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
It's pretty easy on ebay. Although paypal has a really interesting policy regarding online game codes.

If the auction was paid with paypal balance, it doesn't even matter if the game codes are fake. Paypal will side with the seller 100% of the time and will not grant refunds (based on their terms of service on their website they say they do not provide buyer protection for digital purchases).

If the auction was paid by a credit card, paypal won't even investigate the claim, whether the buyer is lying about a nonworking code and used it anyway, or if the seller actually sold a fake code. They will automatically reimburse the buyer because credit cards always side with the buyer on this so they can't deny any claims.

Thus as a seller the best thing for you to do is to email the game code, and also mail them the game code afterwards. Thus you are selling a tangible product and the buyer (if they are attempting some shenanigans) would have to return the product to you first and won't bother usually.

Thanks for that info. I didn't know that about Paypal and selling game codes.