Easy to install heatsink for AthlonXP (for a newbie)

Banana

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
My kiddie brother wants to upgrade to an AthlonXP 2000+. I know he can be a klutz, so I'm looking for a good, but EASY to install heatsink--none of those screwdriver jobs. Suggestions? BTW, he has an ePox 8KHA+ motherboard (KT266A). In case you're wondering, he lives thousands of miles away from me, so I can't do this for him.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Those kind of heatsinks are the only option on those motherboards... the clamps that you have to latch down with a screwdriver. I don't believe motherboards that old have holes for the type you screw down.

Lyfer

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Vantec copper heatsinks have screwless clamps, very easy to work with. You'd be stupid to screw up:).

stonecold3169

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
Coolermaster makes some socket A coolers where the back end has the standard single lug, and the front has a single lug, but instead of using a screwdriver there is a latch that you pull down on and it gives you leverage as if you used a screwdriver. Might wanna look into that.

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
My old OCZ Gladiator had a latch that you could use your thumb to press down. What a nightmare! As long as he's using a decent screwdriver that fits in the tab properly, it's difficult to screw up. You don't have to push down as hard as some people might have you think. The retail HSF that came with my Barton was probably one of the easiest I've installed.

SpeedFreak03

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2003
I recently bought and installed a CompUSA brand AthlonXP 2400+ HSF, and installed in on a Asus A7V133 with an Athlon T-Bird 1.33GHz. All that was needed was a nice push on the clamp and it went right down. I'm not sure about the quality of this HSF, but he does no overclocking, and its rated much higher than his system, so it does the job. Anyway, good luck!

hollowman

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2001
8kha+ does have holes for heatsinks such as Alpha8045.. but just get him SK-7 from SVC.com.