easiest way to upgrade licenses from Win8 to Win10

x_kzy_xd

Jun 30, 2011
I have a bunch of old Windows 8/8.1 licenses from my Technet subscription. Most of these licenses/serials are not currently used (i.e. not installed on any computer).

What's the easiest way I can upgrade these licenses to Windows 10? Would I have to manually install each one, upgrade, and format hard drive, and then repeat? That would be a lot of trouble.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Considering you are getting a copy of the latest Microsoft OS for free, I wold be willing to put forth a little bit of effort (OS install). But I guess that's not for everyone. Just remember that Windows 10 saves the hardware layout of every computer it is activated on, so I don't know that you want all these licenses tied to the same hardware configuration anyway.

Last edited:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Unfortunately you do not Upgrade a Lic. You Upgrade the OS on a specific computer.

I.e., you have "a bunch of old Windows 8/8.1 licenses" so you also need a bunch of computers.

:cool:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Yeah, unless you get a new machine for each key you have, you are pretty much stuck with win 8 forever.
And no, you can't even use them on a VM, since those keys will be tied to that VM, and nothing else.